Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default 1960's Show Rod Postcards

I've never felt an allegiance to the 1960's era show rods. Sure there are one or two that I can appreciate, but for the most part they just aren't my thing. I'm a "function creates form" kind of guy and feel like the opposite approach leads to cliche...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Slim Pickens
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: 1960's Show Rod Postcards

Thanks Ryan,
I like how you expressed a negative feeling of yours in a positive way...to start a conversation. I’ve dug these creations since I was a kid in the 60s. But as time moved on I started to appreciate kustoms and hot rods. Its all a learning experience. Thanks again and thanks to COOP for these images. COOL. Slim
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

I thought the same for most of my life, but lately the sixties show stuff has really grown on me. It's kind of a stretch for me to leave my "clean coat of primer" hot rod thinking, and embrace the whole "candy coated streamlined flecked" kinda thing, but slowly it's happening.
online   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Tom davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm a "function creates form" kind of guy and feel like the opposite approach leads to cliche...
You are right about that Ryan. That's a pure position with complete merit, hands down.

I look all rods and customs as art. "Show rods" and the "form follows function machines" being but two genres within the automotive art form.

The Outlaw is the perfect header for your piece. As art, Ed started a movement with the creation of that car.

As for fuction, well, the Outlaw wasn't driven and probably didn't even run. The antithesis of functional form. But still fun to look at and marvel at Ed's sheer audacity!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
LANCE-SPEED

I've always been the opposite, it dont matter how it runs as long as it looks good? I have an old postcard of the Druid Princess from Cars of Stars from back in the day!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
jerry sezar

During their day "those" kind of cars to me were a little too "futuristic" for me. I would actually park my roadster away from Birdman's MOD ROD whenever he was hanging out at the local drive-in, Jerry's Beefburgers. I was more into the drag racing venues where more motor and less FLUFF was better. Over the years I have softened and "those" kind of cars actually bring a smile to my face. This hobby of ours sure has it's twist and turns, wonder what will folks will be building forty years from now? Thanks for the trip back in time.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Dreddybear
Old School HAMBer

I love the audacity of it. It's another form of racing. You have chrome valve covers? I'll chrome the heads! Tuck n roll your interior and I'll tuck n roll the whole engine bay. It's just great. I used to hate it. I thought it was ugly. Now I can't stop thinking about it.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom davison View Post
You are right about that Ryan. That's a pure position with complete merit, hands down.

I look all rods and customs as art. "Show rods" and the "form follows function machines" being but two genres within the automotive art form.

The Outlaw is the perfect header for your piece. As art, Ed started a movement with the creation of that car.

As for fuction, well, the Outlaw wasn't driven and probably didn't even run. The antithesis of functional form. But still fun to look at and marvel at Ed's sheer audacity!
Well said Tom.

I'm not purely focused on Hot Rods. I love early customs... In the 40's and much of the 50's, the idea was to improve upon the line of the original car - not shock and awe. I love a simple/tasteful custom... They hit me on my less sensible side - looks over performance. The car that comes to my mind first and foremost is the Matranga. Like just about everybody, I love that car regardless of the way it performs on the street.

I guess when I trip up is when we get to the era that these cars became un-driveable. They became sculpture - not cars. I'm just not all that into it.

Of course, the argument against me is that I'm not complex enough of a person to really understand sculpture. And you know what? That might not be far from the truth.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 07-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
BeatnikPirate

It totally makes my day to see stuff like this. Another reason why I love the HAMB. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

60s Show Rods, my favorite!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

I love 60's kustoms (spelled right) and that whole "angel hair" era where clean and shine was the order of the day. I can't in good conscience just say I love em all. Some cars from that time are just a myriad of good ideas turned into one bad one. Clearly some of Coop's pics show us that, but they show us some icons too. Cars that did indeed set the bar a tick higher. "El Matador" is pretty damn kool, the "Outlaw" and "Beatnik Bandit" were always favorites, and Dean Jeffrie's "Manta Ray" isn't bad either. For TV cars "Dragula" is it only because it upsets me just a bit what George did to Chrisman's car, still a close second due to what it was. My 1st memories of the Detroit Autorama were seeded in the 60s. I got to see the Ala Kart in person as well as the Munster Coach and Dragula, but the Ala Kart will probably always be the best of the bunch...in my mind and in the pics shared. Thanks guys.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Busted Knuckles
BANNED

Some of mine.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
63fdsnr
Grenade Inspector

Some amazing efforts during this period - not my personal taste but, still fun to remember.
Interesting to me that the photos of the Mysterion, (as well as the Dream Rod and Stilletto on Coops site), were taken in the middle of the Ford test track facility in Dearborn - wonder why? Perhaps some Ford sponsorship on the builds?
Thanks for the pictures.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
SinisterCustom
Old School HAMBer

FUNCTIONAL 60's "show" cars rule.........a car that may not win the BIG trophy, but is nicely finished and runs like stink......
1959 to @ 1963 seems to be my favorite "era", as most of the cars ya see in old show coverages weren't all "gussied" up too bad....just clean candy paints and lotsa chrome...
Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

You know it's very true about the two schools of thought in our little world. I'm very much a "make it go fast and handle unbelievably" kinda guy, and one of my best friends is a sixties show car kinda guy. His influence has kind of rubbed off a little on me in the last couple of years with my new found acceptance of the sixties show car stuff. But, for me it's the technical end of it. It's how you do a multi layer flake, candy, and pearl paint job more so than the bubble top, over the top showmanship of it. That said, He and I can't travel to outdoor shows together anymore because our personal tastes make it tough to look at the same stuff. I don't go to LARS to see big, puffy, flaked customs, and he sees primered hot rods, no matter how well done, as "why didn't they bother to finish it"? Gets pretty frustrating!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #16
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63fdsnr View Post
Some amazing efforts during this period - not my personal taste but, still fun to remember.
Interesting to me that the photos of the Mysterion, (as well as the Dream Rod and Stilletto on Coops site), were taken in the middle of the Ford test track facility in Dearborn - wonder why? Perhaps some Ford sponsorship on the builds?
Thanks for the pictures.
Ford provided the engines and drivelines for all three of those cars. Most of them also toured with the Ford "custom car caravan " in '63 and '64.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
seesko
Old School HAMBer

That's when I was growing up, Late 50's early 60's in Wichita. First 60's custom that got my attention was the Dream Rod. I was more in to model airplanes but a friend had built the model and I was hooked, at least on the Dream Rod. Looking back I wish I had been a little older to appriciate that scene. I was too young to know the hot rod/custom car legacy Wichita had back then. Pretty cool looking back. I remember the vibe of the era. I like all types and eras of cars but the early 60's rods are kind of nostalgic for me.
Great thread Ryan.

I do remember buying some Rod and Kustom Bubble gum cards. Some of those cars wuz coyote ugly.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
Tom davison

These ran. The Boothill Express made one cackle run.

This one, the companion piece, didn't see the street, but it was driven into the hauler van instead of the standard winching.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Steve 38

I LOVE them, even though they go against every fibre in my being. I don't like cars that are built not to be driven. The automobile is a mode of transport first and foremost. But I grew up in the 70s, and to me 60s show cars are giant Hot Wheels cars, or real life 'Wierdos' cars without the monsters. The more ghastly and pointless, the more I love them.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
classicfins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry sezar View Post
......wonder what will folks will be building forty years from now?.....
PT Cruisers?

http://www.fiberglassics.com/images/...ter_wanted.jpg