Register now to get rid of these ads!

Twin Bears Drag Racing in 8mm...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. chickenshift

chickenshift

Wow what a handful!! One of the best videos ive seen

3. Jive-Bomber Jay - very cool video! ... and I can honestly say that I've never seen it before! :D

I guess I missed it when docc posted it in Royalshifter's epic "Drag cars in motion" picture thread:

4. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Really cool video --- thanks, Jay!!

Malcolm

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Oh, I pictured two harry dudes with dresses running in heels.

7. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I love the safety concerns back then.....or lack there of. Priority being speed and power. Notice at the beginning of the clip the driver doesn't even have gloves on. Too cool.

8. rumblefish

rumblefish
    from NE Ohio

9. That first clip is from one of Don Tuttle's videos. Don shot 8mm movie flim at strips all over Ca, El Mirage, and Bonneville in the late 50's and early 60's. used to see Don at So Cal swap meets selling his videos. I have a couple of his tapes, and the narration is priceless. He just sat and watched the films, and added comments as he recognized what was on the screen. If you like raw vintage footage of how racing really was, these tapes are must haves.

10. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Don Tuttle was the track announcer at Santa Anna. He was a really nice guy to talk to, but from what I understand he is no longer with us. I have all three of the tapes that he produced and sold. They were entitled Hot Rodding...the Way it Was. I believe this footage was included on the one subtitled Potpourri 1.

When I bought the videos from Don he also gave me a list of all the top time and top eliminator winners from 1950-1956. I might have to see about scanning and posting that information.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  11. cru_zn_29

cru_zn_29

That film was great to see Glen Ward was a great friend of mine. He told me a lot of stories about Twin Bears. Seeing it running makes my day. Kenny

12. Paul2748

Paul2748

I was the Tech Advisor for NHRA Div 1 when Christman and Johanson's son ran the car on the East Coast at the NHRA championship meets.. Really an impressive car for the time. Chrisman was one of the nicest drag racer that I ever met.

13. RM-Special

RM-Special

Nice timing with this thread,I had not long finished reading the chapter in Robert C Post's book High Performance,where this car was discussed.Thanks ,RM

14. Here's a couple shots I took of Jack and the Twin Bear car at Island Dragway, in Great Meadows NJ, in 1961 at an NHRA Regional event.

Attached Files:

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

16. autobilly

autobilly

Great to see these cool flicks again, I'd forgotten 'bout 'em. Thanks for posting Jay.

17. I've got the same Don Tuttle videos and they are awesome!!!