Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 frame build for a Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I'm building this 1932 frame to fit a Model A Coupe. There are a few changes to the overall shape of the frame.

I'm using J.W. Garage frame rails, and Ionia boxing plates and center cross-member. It will be setup for a dropped 32' heavy axle, and a 36' rear end with a quickchange with a model a spring and cross-member.

So far I am getting the frame rails mounted in my frame jig. The center of the frame is the same as a 32', but the front cowl is narrower, and in front of the axle is narrower as well. So I've had to alter the shape of the rails to match the measurements the owner gave me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casper

casper

Are you going to run the rear 1932 gas tank?

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

If you need any measurements, let me know.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

5. brady1929

brady1929

Will be watching this one

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!! The guys at Ionia built me a frame a year or two ago and it's sitting in my garage. Let me know if you need some measurements!!! Can't wait to see this thing!!!

7. NorCalCoupe

NorCalCoupe

Chris is building this frame for me and thanks for all the responses so far.

The picture of the coupe on the frame I found on-line somewhere, can't remember where but this is exactly how I want the channel to look, especially right at the firewall. Most everything on paper deals with the 28-29's which are a little different. We're working on the pinch dimensions now and will post these as well.

Thank again,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I'm just building the perimeter frame. I'm leaving the rear frame horns on, but i'm not sure if he is running a 32' gas tank.

Thanks guys. The owner measured his model a and made any changes to the westcott diagram that he wanted changed from a stock 32'. So I have basically everything I need. Defiantly nice to be building a frame again. Much more forgiving than sheet metal.

9. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

So just a few changes to the shape of the front part of the rails from where we had it. I measured a model a my buddy had, and with the drawings westcott had I got it all figured out. Actually wescott has a drawing of a 32' frame for a model a highboy that is all the measurements we are using. But now I got the frame all the right shape, and locked into the frame rack.

Now I will weld in the spacer blocks for the boxing plates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

So iv'e been absolutely swamped getting things ready for my open house that I havent had a chance to post more. The frame is all done so I'll post pictures of the rest of the process.

Next was putting in all the spacer blocks for the boxing plates. Then once they were in I had to get both boxing plates fitting, and weld them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Next is the process of welding in the boxing plates. Just took my time jumping back and forth welding until it was all welded completely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Boxing the frame takes a couple days. But once that's done getting the cross-members in goes really fast. Before I built the frame I figured out what amount of rake the frame would be at right height according to the tire sizes and spring heights. We figured out it would sit at 2 1/2 degrees towards the front. So with me building it flat on the frame rack I had to add that 2 1/2 degrees into the cross-members when i welded them in. That way when it dropped those degrees the cross-members were all where they needed to be.

So here is the frame all finished with all the cross-members put in and the frame sanded down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

14. billthx138

billthx138

The secret of this channel is using the 28-29 frame dimensions for A V8, this allowed the 30-31 body to slip over the frame since they are wider than the earlier bodies.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409232