Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb Coloring Alodine Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskooljc, Jul 7, 2010.

1. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

I have purched my Alodine. But before i take the plunge i have a question or two. I have read all the instructions form the factory and tech info hear on the hamb. Some carbs have a metal vent tube press into the top air horn. And all have the accelerator linkage in the top of air horn is it nessary to remove these metal parts before dipping. and if you don't will this change the color. If wanting the color to come out with more a green tint witch is the better method a weeker solution or less dip time. thanks jim

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

9 parts water 1 part alodine dipped for 20 seconds.

[​IMG]

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Someone we need a good tech article, how about it?

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

PM Scootermcrad he did my holley 94s, if you still can't get it??

5. oj

oj

Good idea for a tech piece. I have been using it for a long time but get mixed results and would like to know what i do wrong. Mine stuff looks very good, has greenish tint - not consistant, lots of character. But they don't look anything like what 'Tommy' has.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

At first I used it straight and wasn't very happy. I bead blast the castings so that may give me a more consistent base to dye.

Someone on here suggested the 90-10 ratio and I got better results. I was not too happy with this one which were done at full strength. I don't mind a little variation. The Rochester 3 deuces have some color variation but I think that is what they looked like when they were new. I don't care for the carb paint because it looks fake to me.

You can see that the steel choke parts don't turn color like the carb bodies.

[​IMG]

These are the Stude carbs that I started with.

7. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These were flash dipped - approximately 6 seconds, full strength.

Attached Files:

• 4x2.jpg
      4x2.jpg
      File size:
      318.5 KB
      Views:
  8. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

hay uncle max i like the look on the 97s thanks for the info. I alos understand that by what i have read here on th hamb that all color needs to be removed for a more consistant look. I am planing on soda blasting them. any one have any info on that. Right know i am getting ready to do a set of rochesters and i am looking for more of a green tent. But i cant get over how good those 97s look thanks again max. jim

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

that looks good tommy,
    what brand did you use and where did you get it?

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I don't remember the co. CRS disease. I did a Google and ordered it.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

12. oj

oj

You can get it at 'PilotSupplies' an aircraft hardware store, Alodine 1201. I reccommend the proper cleansor, incredible stuff.

13. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

I got mine same as tommys at spruce air craft supply fairly cheap oh i mean inexpensive.
    www.aircraftspruce.com I bought the adoline and the cleaner 1 gallon each shipped i think 35.00. They also have a clear that i have been told soda blast your manifold and treat and it will look like new. anyone have any experaince with that product. If not guess i will be the guine pig. jim

14. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Anyone know abought leaving a small metal part on when it is dipped will it hirt the solution. thanks jim

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  15. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

16. I got these back from my re-builder and I am unhappy with the different colors on the bases and tops. Anyone ever try to brush coat their carbs to get an even color?

[​IMG]