Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy gets frenched and Lucased!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotdamn, Jul 6, 2010.

1. hotdamn

hotdamn

afqw.jpg

ewg.jpg

IMG00243-20100705-0112.jpg

mail.jpg

qefqeF.jpg

So sunday afternoon I decided it was high time to utilize those whoop ass 7" lucas head lights that I bought from CHOPMERC a while back!

so I went and bought a couple H-4 bulbs and under Bobs guidance trimmed em down and siliconed them in.

then Jeroma showed up like a knight in a shining merc with two brand new pigtails for my headlights :)

so while he helped me figure out some the wiring issues I decided that the 54 trim rings looked best out of either 55 chevys or 53 buick. the lucas lights just seemed to go with those so they got frenched!

for the record 54 trims rings may bolt right up to 53 fenders but damn to weld them on there takes some fitment...

they dont match up as well as you would think.

but with a little welder persuasion we had her hooked up!

so here is where she is now.

soon the grill surround will be moulded in (if I ever get my hood/fender gap situated:D )and I have a 51 Kaiser floating bar that is soon to be extensively modified then finding its way into that mouth:D

2. HRod 50

HRod 50

I cant wait to see this finished.....

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dude I love it, I can't wait to see in person. The stock headlights frenched was the perfect choice.

4. hotdamn

hotdamn

thanks guys!

if any one else has any cars with lucas headlights feel free to post them on here!

also if any one has any for sale let me know:D

5. Looks killer man!! I love everything about it. Sweet!

BloodyKnuckles

6. sinticket

sinticket

Beautiful...like my new pink pants!!!

7. Jesus.

BloodyKnuckles

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

9. hotdamn

hotdamn

holy shit hiatus!!!

so this is all that I have accumulated in the past month :)

I am really bad at posting things in order with comments so here goes (jj, show me whats up!)

so I have finally finished the body work on my frenched lights:)

learned a very valuable lesson about h-4 lights, if you do a conversion MAKE SURE you get low wattage bulbs... got hot and cracked a lucas lens...

none the less, got mufflers on!!! no more breaking plate glass store front windows:)

also this past weekend, my hommie and I share the same birthday so he and I spent our birthday rewiring my car with cloth wiring, it looks sweet!

IMG00359-20100822-1204.jpg

IMG00360-20100822-1206.jpg

while we were at it I have always wanted to add a second light in the reverse light hole. a little fab work and some extra sockets from o'reilly's and we were in business!

IMG00367-20100822-1210.jpg

IMG00368-20100822-1211.jpg

also bought a really rad 55 poncho trouble light and got it wired in as well
    this thing has enough cable on it to get underneath the back of the car!!!
    which of course if you know anything about me you will know that as soon as I can figure out how to get this thing apart she is getting chromed:D

IMG00358-20100822-1202.jpg

IMG00357-20100822-1159.jpg

did a little swapping with my horn ring while I had the steering wheel off, I dig it, seem to be about the only one but yall let me know what you think?

I always see steering wheels turned vertical not horizontal in little pages so I kinda thought about it and maybe have figured out a way to make it work with my horn ring???
    IMG00355-20100822-1157.jpg

so when I was digging around in the junk yard the other day I found this sweet clock delete plate. I figured since my clock didn't work anyways I may as well:)

IMG00356-20100822-1157.jpg

also something else I have been working on, I started getting my grill surround moulded in, WOW what a ton of work that is!

I started by cutting it down, via the little wash board looking things under the peaks, then I cut out the valence that was at the bottom and dropped it a 1/16 of an inch so it would sit flush.

once it was good and tacked I then rolled the sides in so that the valence continued up to the top.

so far all welded in but still a ton more work to go!

trying to get my hood hinges adjusted correctly so I can get the surround actually welded in not just bolted, never realized hood hinges have so much damn adjustment???

IMG00364-20100822-1207.jpg

IMG00365-20100822-1207.jpg

10. hotdamn

hotdamn

also guys that is not rust in the grille surround that is copper:)

11. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Nice work. The headlights are sweet.

12. Hey! Could you shoot me a pm or something with pics of the h-4 conversion? The h414 bulbs are okay, I'd just like something easier to get my hands on in the case of an emergency.
    Car looks rad by the way!
    Here's mine, its seen some lovin' since this picture has been taken...
    [​IMG]

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

on the H-4's you just pull your stock bulb out of the back and take an h-4 and cut down the metal trim ring and silicone it in :)

super duper easy!

like I said though be really careful and get low watt bulbs or those ultra rare lucas headlights will be toast!

14. hotdamn

hotdamn

love the surround by the way!

mine is a 54 and in retrospect I wish I would have kept the 54 fenders and did them like yours except with a narrowed 54 grill...

15. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Looks kool....i've been trying like hell to get my hands on 4 lucas lights...anyone??

16. Yeah, makes sense on the h4 conversion, I'll prolly do that soon. Thanks!

I'd also consider running headlight relays, 'cause I think my lucas lights ate my headlight switch. Mad electrical has a pretty good set-up. (so far anyway its been two weeks without any problems ahah)

I've always dug '53 chevy grill surrounds; they just work! I'll be following this build for sure!

17. Shit looks tiiight!!!!

I can't wait to see the wireing.

BloodyKnuckles

18. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Looks good so far.

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

if you are doing a quad style set up you can buy them new for around 50$ or 60$ a piece.

they are called flame throwers and they are repoped by a couple different places. I believe if you are going for a conventional quad set up they are 5 3/4"?

make sure if you buy a set you get the one that have all the little details like the maid in england and LUCAS embossing on the light.

for me its all those little detail that make all the difference!

also guys if any of you want info on the company that does the wiring they are super awesome!

the company is called the Brillman Co. and they are out of VA.

I wired my car 4 years ago with a rebel kit but never cared for the look of the modern wires, quality was fine just aesthetically didn't work for me.

now for those of you who have never purchased a cloth wiring harness, hold on to your pants!

but I got my wire from the Brillman Co and just swapped it out and kept the old rebel fuse panel.

worked very well

also cant say enough good things about the Brillman Co, good prices, customer service and had it shipped to my door in a day and a half :D

cant beat it with a stick

20. billys54

billys54

Looks real good

21. hotdamn

hotdamn

thanks billy!

I dig your chop too, did you do it?

22. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

if i ever decide what headlight rings im going to use i'll be hunting down a set of h4's .
    looks great del

23. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Any updates? looking good.

24. this a great thread but......... we need more picture . angles ... i might french stock rings .. someone please put me in check .

25. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I like the stock rings extended look. How about a pic with the lucus lights/ h4 lit up?