Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rescued Roadster - A True Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tetanus Shot, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

I suppose its the dream of every true hot rodder to own a car with some history, something built back in the day. for me i had always dreamed of finding a car hidden away, long forgotten but still in tact and putting it back on the road where it belonged. I'm sure we all share this dream, and like me we all think it will stay a dream. something reserved for that lucky bastard who is a friend of a friend who knew a guy that helped a widow clean out her husbands garage only to find a sweet ass hot rod under a pile of tires. well its a funny thing about dreams, sometimes they come true. and sometimes the reality is even better than we could have ever imagined.

proof every dog has his day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

built in 1953 by Alden Calkins from Michigan and has been there in storage unmolested for over 40 years. these are the pictures of the car when it arrived in California, as you can see it was in amazing shape. the only thing missing was the shift knob and i have been searching for a suitable replacement.

at first i thought it would only take a couple weeks to get it back on the road, but like with any car it always takes at least twice as long to get the job done. my goal was to have the car running and driving for the the LA Roadster Show. it took every minute from memorial day weekend until 2 a.m. friday night of the show to get the job done, i didnt sleep but had the car there and had achieved my goal.

it was clear after i had pulled the heads and intake that the car obviously didnt have much use and was very well maintained. i have already gone through the entire car to make it safe and roadworthy, still having some ignition issues with the Harman Collins dual coil but im in the process of sorting it out hopefully with the help of the HAMB.

still looking for more history and i would love to find some more pictures of it, if anyone has more info please pm me please! thanks.

a few shots from LARS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and for anyone asking about what my plans are for the car? nothing. once its running properly there is nothing more that i will do, other than wear out the tires.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

Rods Illustrated August 1959

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

a few shots from today, all i have done cosmetically is dust it off and degrease the engine. and yes i know how bad the new plate looks on there but i had to drive it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Can I just shoot myself now?

There is no way in f'n hell I will ever find a car as cool as that and certainly not one that will ever be in my price range.

Congrats on that. That car is killer, love it 110%. I saw it posted on one of the LARS threads and was drooling then.

I would not touch one thing on that car either other than maybe get the top remade if needed. That car actually might even look better with the top on which is highly unusual accomplishment. Damn good looking both ways.

Please don't tell me how much/little you got that for. Unless it was a ton of cash and some body parts, I don't even want to know.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    volvobrynk likes this.

5. Holy shit, that's cool.

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

WoW, as you say dreams do happen, very cool score,

now just go Drive the damn thing.............

(with pictures of course )

Keith

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. |Tom|

|Tom|

Neat story!

8. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

fuck. thats all i gotta say. Fuck

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just amazing. Take good care of it. Gary

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Love that car! I saw it in a LARS thread too, thanks for "The Rest of the Story". There were a fair amount of Rods built in the 1950's that tried to look like Sports Cars, none turned out as nice as this one. I'd shop around and find a good upholstery shop that can replace the top and make it blend in with the rest of the car. That would look good on the lawn at Pebble Beach.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Amazing.
    I love the slightly 'off' proportions, the cycle gaurds, the louver pattern..so many cool details!

In the close up of the tail lights it looks like there is a silver paint job underneath with its own pinstriping pattern? Is this right or am I seeing things?

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A favor? When you can, could you post photos of the lower hood sides? I'm interested in how they fit over the front frame rails and also how they meet at the cowl. Thanx, Gary

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Very very nice indeed - congratulations to the new owner.

Interesting that it is one of those rods with the look of an MG of the period. I wonder whether that's what the original builder was shooting for??

BTW - would love to see some detail pics of the front fender mounts.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Jesus H Christ thats freakin' awesome. Nice score indeed.
    Scotty.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. 31whitey

31whitey

That is a very well though out old hot rod.I can wait to read the article.Your are friggen stoked man....

16. Dig it! I kinda like the boat wheel' but then the Chevy wheel was kinda large, huh?

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. bt34

bt34

....perfect...all of it....

18. awesome score-i like your plan of doing nothing to the car but driving it !! that this is f-in sweet!

19. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Congratulations ! It is nice to know that there a still a few out there patiently waiting to be put into sevice again. A lot of them still belongs to the original builders who have no interest in selling even though they are put away. Your find will keep the rest of us asking questions and listening to answers about where these old rods ended up. If they weren't parted out , or destroyed they are still out there .

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Fantastic story!

21. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Cool find! Congrats.

Any info on what became of Alden Calkins? Looks like he'd be 83 or 84 now.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    volvobrynk likes this.
  22. It's these kind of stories that make make a true car guy all warm and tingley on the inside.

Freakin' awesome!!!

Tell us more about how you found out about, and bought, the car. I love to hear how these things go down.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

What a score man, happy for you, and I agree don't touch the car. I will tell Axle aboat it, and may be he can put it in the Grand National Roadster Show

24. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Holy Crap! Im glad that this car fell into good hands. I'm always scared that some idiot will find one of these and cut it up into something different. Have fun with it!

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. abone1930

abone1930

Dude, WHAT A SCORE :eek: That is a great find and then being an X magazine car to boot. Glad youre not going to restore it. COOL just the way it is :D

26. customcory

customcory

You are a lucky man, such a cool roadster. Not to many cars had wire wheels like this back then, those have to be a rare set.:D

27. Thank you for posting, I was looking forward to hearing the story of this roadster. Congratulations on the find, I am glad to see it went to a good 'caretaker'
    What a great title for the original story in '59, "Rescued Roadster". Is that ironic? history repeating itself. Keep us updated and please post more pics. You are my hero!

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

that roadster and the story are soo cool! Thanks for sharing

29. 231ramona

231ramona

Finding an old original hot rod is the most fun I've had in the hobby. There's just something about a rod built back in the day by a young hot rodder. Here are a few pictures of the roadster I found in Canada in the early 90"s. There are many simularities such as the amount of channel and the 40 dash. Congratulations on your find!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950