Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #261
The_DropOut
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: *MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

You guys are really moving along on this project. The fenders are going to look great. The gas cap looks top notch and the color is a good choice!!!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #262
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Clayton, Looking forward to any updates you may post on the Special.

Dave
Next to retire . . . . well maybe . . .
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #263
MrModelT
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 Dave View Post
Clayton, Looking forward to any updates you may post on the Special.
Dave
You are in luck

UPDATE:
Progress soldiers on...slowly, but surely.

Finally, an update! Sadly, Chris and I haven't had much to report lately with several back to back event filled weekends and a few snags that have slowed our progress. Our major stall at the present time is the fiber glassing process for the fenders. The marine grade epoxy resin that we are using, has to be used at a constant temp of 70 degrees...any hotter and mix will "fire off" at an accelerated rate. Last few weeks, it has been in the 90's here, so I haven't been able to proceed. We have in the mean time (since my last update) made some progress on such items as the spare tire carrier, hand fuel pump, Prest-O-Lite tank, Horn and e-brake rods. Here are some shots from the last few weeks:

The Hand Fuel Pump

The Prest-O-Lite Tank

The Horn and Mount

The Brake Rods

Once the weather begins to cool down a bit in the next few weeks, I will be continuing the fiber glassing efforts and plan a rather large update on this for you all.....so stay tuned for more!

Clayton - Mr.ModelT

"If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right" - My Dad
1926 Ford Model T Roadster
My '26 Roadster build thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=308741
online   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #264
The_DropOut
Grenade Inspector

Dang, did that horn come from a lighthouse? It looks like it produces a pretty loud and low tone. Killer work guys.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #265
MrModelT
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_DropOut View Post
Dang, did that horn come from a lighthouse? It looks like it produces a pretty loud and low tone. Killer work guys.
The horn dates to the early 'Teens (1912 to 1914) as it was originally nickle plated. It is...atrociously obnoxious....but it is just killer perfect for this car!

As we all know, Almost all of the cars built in the first half of the 20th century were predominately 6 volt. This was a spare for the Becker's big '13 White (not correct for that year, but it was on the car when Bill bought it). The fact that it came from the White makes it a rare exception...it is a 12 volt horn. The White Motor Co. was one of the very few companies who's cars utilized 12 volt electrical systems...and even odder still, 24 volt starting systems...using two 12 volt batteries in series when the big starter knife switch was engaged!

My '26 Roadster build thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=308741
Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #266
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrModelT View Post
...and even odder still, 24 volt starting systems...using two 12 volt batteries in series when the big starter knife switch was engaged!
[Professor Fate voice]Throw the switch, Max![/Professor Fate voice]

-Dave
Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #267
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Clayton, Now you have given us a small Taste of what is to come. Hopefully we will see some more progress . . . with the weekend ? Hopefully the weather gods will be providing you with cooler temps.

Say "Hello" to your bud Chris. Have a great weekend.

Dave
Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #268
UNCLECHET

Wow! This car is one of the neatest I've seen in a long time. Great job!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #269
caseyscustoms
BANNED

sweet.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #270
MrModelT
Alliance Member

Quote:
Clayton, Now you have given us a small Taste of what is to come. Hopefully we will see some more progress . . . with the weekend ? Hopefully the weather gods will be providing you with cooler temps.

Say "Hello" to your bud Chris. Have a great weekend.

Dave
Dave, there will certainly be a substantial update on the "Special" this weekend. Chris and I have been waiting for a full weekend with decent temperatures in order to fiberglass the fenders and hood....one of our LAST big hurdles. I will taking my fully charged camera to document it completely.

With my Roadster also waiting in the wings for a full tear-down, we need to get her done.....also the 1st anniversary of Bill's passing (Oct 13th) has Chris and I want to see his tribute car finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLECHET View Post
Wow! This car is one of the neatest I've seen in a long time. Great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyscustoms View Post
sweet.
Thank you both! We are quite proud of the "Special" as both a build that we undertook together and as a tribute to Chris's late father Bill.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #271
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Clayton, This was quite a fast year. Didn't know the date Bill died - the one year date will be here very soon. Bill will be in our thoughts on that date. He is greatly missed .

Thanks so much for update and reminder.

Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #272
MrModelT
Alliance Member

Quote:
Clayton, This was quite a fast year. Didn't know the date Bill died - the one year date will be here very soon. Bill will be in our thoughts on that date. He is greatly missed .

Thanks so much for update and reminder.

Dave

...He is GREATLY missed for sure

I find it hard to believe that it has been a year already....seems like just yesterday he was still shuffling around the shop, gripping to Chris and I about tools that needed to be picked up (to which we would both reply "Yes Dad!" ) and fiddling with the '09 Brush.

...I still expect him to come down and see what's going on Wednesday nights with this look on his face...

Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #273
MrModelT
Alliance Member

*UPDATE*
"Aye Capt'n!...Tharrr be fenders Ahoy!"

It has been far too long since I posted a decent update on "The Special" ...and I know many of you have been "chomping at the bit" for something new. Sadly high summer temperatures and summer work schedules hampered any attempts to make any decent progress, but this weekend we had good temperatures and a free weekend...so Chris and I got to work!

The first step was to get a decent seal coat on the underside of the fenders, to protect them from water intrusion in the areas that will be hidden behind the fender frame work.

Next, we applied the 3/16th" fiberglass cord to the edge of the fenders..to simulate the beading. Once this cord becomes soaked in resin, it will become equally as strong and give the fenders a nice rounded edge.

Now we were ready to begin the glass work on the inside of the our first victim...the driver's side front fender. I mixed up a good amount of resin (a 2:1 mix ratio) before showing Chris how to lay out the cloth. The first layer (of more to come) was to be done on the underside of the fender, to bond the steel frame work to the cardboard skin.

After about 25 minutes, we had exhausted our "pot" of resin and had the cloth sealed in rather well to fender and walked away to tackle other projects on the car...leaving it to cure over the next several hours.

Our other project for the day was finishing the spare tire carrier. Chris and I did the final cutting, fab work and welding to finish the lower brace and lower lug stud (to accommodate the double spares). We may still need so addition bracing yet, but for now....it's done. One more thing to scratch from the list.

Chris also did a bit of welding on the gas tank to add the fuel pressure line from the hand pump.

"Holy Updates Batman!"

"That's right Robin...never have we seen such a description of ingenuity and progress"

Stay tuned for more!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #274
MrModelT
Alliance Member

bump

Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #275
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Clayton, Great update. The fender looks to be coming along good for you. Will be standing by for more updates.

In the first picture the car in the background - is that Bill's Brush ? I have never seen one of those. How about some pix of this ride ?

Dave
-
Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #276
MrModelT
Alliance Member

Quote:
Clayton, Great update. The fender looks to be coming along good for you. Will be standing by for more updates.

In the first picture the car in the background - is that Bill's Brush ? I have never seen one of those. How about some pix of this ride ?

Dave
-
Thanks Dave! Chris and I are quite excited at how the fenders are turning out. Chris laid up the first layer on the outside of the fender Tuesday night. It turned out VERY hard and stout. No pictures yet, but Saturday for sure.

The bigger car in the background of my first photo is actually the Becker's 1917 Hupmobile Model N.

The Hup, or "Whooper" as she is called, has been in the Becker family since 1963. Restored by the Oregon State Penn in the early 1950's (painted at the time powder blue) and sold at auction to one of the prison gaurds, she lived through the late 50's car show scene until 1962 when the brakes on her transport trailer locked up on route to a show and flipped the trailer with the ol' Hup on board....destroying everything on the right side of the car from the belt line up. The owner of the now destroyed Hupmobile (and a friend of Bill) gave the Hup to Bill 1963...who promptly took the car up to a friends shop on Whidbey Island (Puget Sound, near Seattle) and restored the car to it's current appearance in a month

1917 Hupmobile Model N
4-cylinder 30 hp
3-speed gear box
4.10:1 rear axle
35-40 mph

The '09 Brush was Bill's favorite "toy". A gift from his parents upon his graduation from High School in 1965, he was slightly intimidated by the lil' Brush...and felt greatly limited by it's 20 mph max speed. He decided to sell the brush in 1971 in order to purchase his 1913 White GAF 30 touring (a much faster car). At the time he sold the Brush, he made a request of the buyer...a good friend of Bill's from the Horseless Carriage club: "If you ever want to sell it, I want first chance at buying it back"

...fast forward to 2003. The Brush has been sitting in the came garage (unused) for 30 years. The owner, now 90, can no longer maintain or operate the Lil' Brush and decides to part with it. He keeps his promise and calls Bill....."If you want the Brush back, this is your lucky day".

It took 6 guys to push the Brush out of the garage and up to the flat deck...because she was so stiff from sitting for so many years. After a thorough cleaning, Bill put the lil' Brush back on the road and managed to amass over 2,100 miles on the car under it's own power until his death last year.....and his wife Karen continues to do so in his stead.

My Dad and Bill on Father's day 2008

Karen and her friend Carole on the final stretch to "Great Oregon Steam Up" 2011

1909 Brush Runabout (speed model)
1-cylinder 12 hp
2-speed planetary transmission
dual chain-drive
22 mph
*Body, frame and axles are all wood. Axles and frame are Hickory*

Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #277
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Clayton, do you know if Alanson Partridge Brush, founder of the Brush Motor Car Company, bears any relationship to Elijah Brush, mayor of Detroit, and his son Edmund Brush, developer of Brush park in Detroit? I've often driven by and wondered if the name came from the automaker, or whether the automaker was descended from the street's namesake. A little research reveals that Brush Park and Brush Street are older than Brush Motor Car Company, but I'm stumped on whether there's a relationship yet.

-Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #278
MrModelT
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcheese327 View Post
Clayton, do you know if Alanson Partridge Brush, founder of the Brush Motor Car Company, bears any relationship to Elijah Brush, mayor of Detroit, and his son Edmund Brush, developer of Brush park in Detroit? I've often driven by and wondered if the name came from the automaker, or whether the automaker was descended from the street's namesake. A little research reveals that Brush Park and Brush Street are older than Brush Motor Car Company, but I'm stumped on whether there's a relationship yet.

-Dave
Dave, I cannot confirm nor deny this. I doubt he was however, because The Brush family you speak of here was rather prominent and wealthy. Alanson however grew up in a simple home, went to public primary and secondary school and didn't go to collage.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #279
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Clayton, I love the look of Bill's Brush ! That shade of blue is kind of different for a 1909 car. Must have been the first Economy Compact of the 1900's !

Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #280
MrModelT
Alliance Member

Quote:
Clayton, I love the look of Bill's Brush ! That shade of blue is kind of different for a 1909 car. Must have been the first Economy Compact of the 1900's !

Dave
The color scheme is certainly wild! ..a very 1950's repaint!

The gentleman that restored the Brush found it in a barn, where it engine had been used to power a chicken feed conveyor since the 1930's. The car was simply cleaned and reassembled and given a repaint.....his wife chose the colors.

The car still bears its original leather interior!