Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Does anyone have more pics of this truck? "Lil nugget"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreddybear, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The engine bay?? I need pics to live. I will not survive without them. Thank you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I LOVE this truck. Its called "Lil' Nugget" and was owned and built by Dave Robertson. The interior (minus the newer fur on the doors) was straight up Eddie Martinez genius. It had a tv, record player, and padded dash. The engine is a '59 Caddy 390 with two four barrels. Exterior is heavy gold metalflake which was new on the scene at the time. As you can see in the sign, it could've been bought for $2,350 back in it's heyday. I heard it was recently found and purchased (not from the original owner). That's about all I know.

Here's all I have. I think I got most of them (the old ones) them from Rikster's site, the newer pics came from different truck mags and a couple from show coverage on here.

Old article, unsure of mag or year...
    [​IMG]

Old b&w of the original interior...
    [​IMG]

Rare early '60s color shot from a show...
    [​IMG]

Interior as it looks nowadays, most of the original Eddie Martinez interior still present...
    [​IMG]

Another modern shot of the interior...
    [​IMG]

At a modern show still wearing it's wire wheels...
    [​IMG]

Another modern show pic...
    [​IMG]

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Awww..that thing is awesome. I can't sleep at night because of it! I was like..."what if that thing had a caddy in it?" And it DOES!! That truck rules me right now.

4. Damn! That thing is nutty! I like both versions. Who owns it now?

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

It's pretty much exactly the same except some added fur where there was no fur before. Don't know who owns it now. I read something about it on the innernetz a while back.

VonWegener said there was a matching Triumph chop to go with it and it could be seen in the right hand corner of pic #3 that I posted (and the pic Dred posted). Now THAT'S what I need to see more of.

6. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I know what you mean. I had a similar thread about six months ago looking for pics. The truck is super perfect killer, even with the wire wheels. And I hate wire wheels.

I found some more pics. Stand by while I upload them...

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Old...
    [​IMG]

Old...
    [​IMG]

Old...
    [​IMG]

Old...
    [​IMG]

Old...
    [​IMG]

Old...
    [​IMG]

Old...
    [​IMG]

New...
    [​IMG]

New...
    [​IMG]

New...
    [​IMG]

New...
    [​IMG]

New...
    [​IMG]

New...
    [​IMG]

I *think* this is the new current owner. Maybe somebody knows him?
    [​IMG]

Part of the display in the new photos seems to suggest little books, probably old coverage of the truck. Seems to be a strong possibility that there's more pics out there...

I got these photos from riksters site, credit where credit is due and all that.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  8. GARY?

GARY?

Oh man, are the side pipes part of the running boards??

Damn things only 7,350 bucks !

9. Nice, thanks for the pics! What are your intentions Paul? ;)

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That's $2,350 in '62 or '63 dollars.:D

11. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Paul,I know this is an old thread but if your still looking for info it was in Car Craft, March 1963. Hope this helps.

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks for the info!!!

13. goldnugget

goldnugget
    from riverside

Were you the one looking for the owner of the Lil Nugget??

14. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I was just about to post what I had heard, but you can probably tell the story better. I heard someone (perhaps you) went to bid on a garage renovation and the truck was in there- and they either traded the truck for some work or just wanted it out. I REALLY love this truck and was friends with Bill Booth who went to High School with the original owner/builder.

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Did you send me an email? I accidentally deleted it without having read it. Please resend it!

And if you have info on this truck, I'd love to hear it! I LOVE this truck!!!

16. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

OK, here's a little update on the Lil Nugget. The current owner has provided me with some new photos of the car, and some additional information. Before Dave Robertson bought the car, it was supposedly owned by Bill Hines' brother. This is not confirmed, so if you know more about the subject feel free to fill me in. Anyhow, the car car was originally restyled by Bill Hines. After he had completed the bodywork, the car was painted candy red by Larry Watson himself. According to Larry the truck was one of the first cars he painted candy red. This version had also bed-cover, interior, and running boards that were fully upholstered in white pleated pearl Naugahyde by Eddie Martines. After a while, the truck was crashed, and the current owner believes that dave Robertson bought the remains, and had Art and Bud Lehner turn it into the Lil Nugget. Below are some photos of the candy red version of the Lil Nugget. These photos were taken by Larry Watson. Larry gave these photos to the current owner of the car.

Click here for more information and additional photos on the Lil Nugget

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both Dave Robertson and Bill Hines are still around, so if someone bumps into them, please ask them for more information about the Lil Nugget :)

17. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Awesome pics and link!!! Thanks!

18. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

No problem! Glad to be able to contribute...no we need to solve the Bill Hines puzzle :)

19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Lots of guys here on the hamb have met him and know him. Maybe they can find out?

Anybody talk to Bill Hines???

20. dino1

dino1
    from austin tx

needs more fur...

21. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Hands down, my favorite "custom" of all time. The "Lil Nugget" has been my desktop wallpaper for some time now. The plan for my '56 F100 is to pay my respects to the Lil Nugget by adding similar styling cues, the same wheel & tire combination, and light blue metalflake paint. But I'm not doing the taillight/headlight/grille treatment, side scoops, or interior the same as the Nugget as I don't intend to "copy" the truck.

I've never read anything about the suspension modifications though. Anyone know how the truck was lowered? Mine's already low, but I'm just curious. Also, anyone know what size tires it was running when it had the wire wheels? The recent photos look like the front end is either raised up, or the tires are smaller than the early photos.

22. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Lets get more photos of eddie martinez interiors

23. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I'm featuing it in the next Mad Fabricators DVD coming soon... Tells the whole story.

From Long Beach Motorama last month

[​IMG]

24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Bumping this just because..

Kustom Trucks FTW!

:p

Love you all.

bowie and Rice n Beans Garage like this.