Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default The Quad Rod

Weirdness that somehow works... The "Quad Rod" was featured in the February, 1959 issue of Rodding & Restyling. It's one of those cars that gets worse and worse as you describe it with words - '30 coupe cut down into a roadster and channeled deeply o...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Anderhart Speed
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: The Quad Rod

This car is cool, but you're right ryan. Describe it to me, and I'd be like "eh, might be ok" But when you see it, the car has something to it. I like it, aside from the odd headlights (which really aren't that bad compared to some other like-minded styling seen on other cars) everything looks good. Maybe it is still hiding in old man rivers haggard barn somewhere...

"Shitllbuffout"-from the college days

DON'T BE A JANET
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
ynottayblock

I dig it, like most people will say im not the biggest fan of the headlights but they dont really look that out of place. And the yblock scores major points with me
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Cars that were featured in the magazines back in the day were not the quality of what we expect today. However they inspired countless guys to build cars that turned out better. The first '32 Ford Hot Rod I ever saw locally in the early 1960's is a case in point. In my mind it was perfect, Chrysler HEMI, slicks, cycle fenders. Years later I found a feature on the car in one of the little page East Coast mags, looked nothing like the picture I'd had in my memory for years. I'll find it and post photos later.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

I like the headlights. The whole car is awesome.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Weirdness that somehow works... The "Quad Rod" was featured in the February, 1959 issue of Rodding & Restyling. It's one of those cars that gets worse and worse as you describe it with words - '30 coupe cut down into a roadster and channeled deeply o...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
That thing was built in the era when I really started to recognize that cars were more than just how the Ol' Man made a living.

I know that to a trad rodder they look a little garish but I just like 'em. I think its one of those things that you either like or don't; no one has ever been on the fence about that style of rod.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

I think it's awesome!!! Maybe the headlights are not something that I would do but they are definitely something that I would be like "whoa that's so cool!" if I seen it on someone 's car. The rest of it is just right though. Very close to how I am going to build my '32 right down to the roll bar and moon caps. Only I hope to have a brutal 331 Hemi in between the rails.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
1950ChevySuburban
Member Emeritus

Pretty straightforward ride, and I like the headlights. Different, yet not too out there. Kinda reminds me of those War of the Worlds spaceships.

/showthread.php?t=635145
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Nads
Old School HAMBer

I like everything about it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Richard D
Old School HAMBer

Headlights might look even better vertical.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
RDR

gotta remember guys, 1958 was the year of QUAD headlights...latest high tech new thing to hit the automotive world...this guy was on the cutting edge to incorporate them into his build and evidently it worked,huh?...got on the cover....
Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
M.Edell
Old School HAMBer

Very Cool!!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Racrdad

I really like it!! Would really be cool to see it show up somewhere.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
F-6Garagerat
Old School HAMBer

"east coast awkwardness"

My one feeling was hurt for a second . I think it's pretty cool. The headlights kinda grow on ya after a bit. The guy was from KaZoo so maybe I'm a little biased.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
friggin"A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR View Post
gotta remember guys, 1958 was the year of QUAD headlights...latest high tech new thing to hit the automotive world...this guy was on the cutting edge to incorporate them into his build and evidently it worked,huh?...got on the cover....
agreed! thats what rods and customs were about back then... not that I was around for it, but when I pour through my old stacks of 50s mags I notice a ton of things people would scoff at today and probably not even attribute to that time period. I can't believe how many cars had nerf bars back then with the owners initials, etc., you rarely see that today

these lights wouldn't be my first choice either, but they work, were cutting edge at the time, and at least they're not rectangular quads like in the 70s!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
F-6Garagerat
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by friggin"A" View Post
I can't believe how many cars had nerf bars back then with the owners initials, etc., you rarely see that today
Like Tommy Fosters Baby Blue 32 roadster with his "TOMMY" plate on the front. Another Michigan built car as well.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR View Post
Yep, that was the hot lick at the time, especially for some show cars. The car could still be around with a few changes and one might not recognize it.

Just like any other trendy or fad thing it wasn't every one's cup of tea then anymore than now but just like the way over size wheels and low profile tires that some of "those" guys think is the hot lick today those were the hot lick for the guys who had to have the latest thing then.

Hell, I had a pair of lakes style headers on my T bucket in 1974 and guys were always asking why I wanted those "outdated" style headers on it. Each period in rodding time has it's little markers that show the trends of the time and that is what was one of the trends in the late 50's through the 60's.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
propwash
Alliance Member

quad headlights on any hot rod are just fllat out ugly...and inconsistent

dj
Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #19
Steve Hedke

OK, I'll buck the trend and say I don't like the package. The Y block is cool, but the stance and pipes are awkward. The '57-'58 Ford steering wheel looks silly with a traditional dash. And the chopped grille looks out of proportion to the ride height.

I agree that the quads would look better stacked. But how does the reference to "'36 Ford headlamps" work out? What does that mean?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
froghawk

Well maybe it's my east-coastness talking, but I like it. The quad headlights were definitely the thing at the time, and these are actually done nicely (not sure how he got there from '36 Ford lights though). For not having much rake the stance is great and that low and level exhaust really makes the whole car "flow."

Wonder if it could've found its way to Philly somehow....