Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
J. Fitzhugh
Grenade Inspector

Default Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes photo?

Does anyone have a photo that they can share, preferebly from the late fiftis or sixties, of any of the Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes in and around Washington DC? These were early crusie locations. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
fordstandard

Default Re: Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes photo?

Charcoal Pit Restaurant on Rt 202 in Delaware -- has The Original Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake !

Just like back in the late 50's when i went with my family to 69th Street Upper Darby,Pa Hot Shoppes !!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
hotrod mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Fitzhugh View Post
Does anyone have a photo that they can share, preferebly from the late fiftis or sixties, of any of the Mighty Mo or Hot Shoppes in and around Washington DC? These were early crusie locations. Thanks for any help.
Oh man, i loved Mighty Mo's and the french fries with gravy were great. I used to have a window tray from there. The Hot Shoppes in the Shirlington shopping center (Arlington, Va.) was the one I hung around. Sorry, no pictures.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordstandard View Post
Charcoal Pit Restaurant on Rt 202 in Delaware -- has The Original Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake !

Just like back in the late 50's when i went with my family to 69th Street Upper Darby,Pa Hot Shoppes !!
Been looking for a comparable hot fudge ice cream cake ever since the Hot Shoppes all went away. We always hung out at the Capital Plaza Hot Shoppes (Landover Hills, Md.) with occasional cruises to the Mighty Mo in Queenstown (Hyattsville). Sorry, no pics, just lots of memories......What town on Rt 202 in Delaware is that....I'm gonna have to make that trip?....Thanks, Don.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
hog mtn dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod mike View Post
Oh man, i loved Mighty Mo's and the french fries with gravy were great. I used to have a window tray from there. The Hot Shoppes in the Shirlington shopping center (Arlington, Va.) was the one I hung around. Sorry, no pictures.
Awesome. I used to work at Shirlington Texaco. The closest I can come to a Hot Shoppes pic is this one from the 2nd annual car show at Rosenthal Chevrolet. At least it's in the DC area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rosenthal car show.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1003078  
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
hotrod mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog mtn dave View Post
Awesome. I used to work at Shirlington Texaco. The closest I can come to a Hot Shoppes pic is this one from the 2nd annual car show at Rosenthal Chevrolet. At least it's in the DC area.
That's a very cool pic. Any idea who that is or info about the truck? Do you happen to remember a white primered '39 Ford cabriolet that used to run around there?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
hog mtn dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod mike View Post
That's a very cool pic. Any idea who that is or info about the truck? Do you happen to remember a white primered '39 Ford cabriolet that used to run around there?
I don't know anything about the pic. My brother found it on a site for folks that grew up in Arlington. I just thought is was cool.

My era was 70s. Can't help you with the '39 Ford. It was pretty much all musclecar stuff then.

Remember this place?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weanie beanie.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1003167  
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
41hemi

Hey Jay--- Tommy Mills used to go to Mighty Mo's back in the day. Maybe he'll see this thread and conjer(sp?) up some pics! BTW, got my radiator recored..... Al
Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
tommy
Old School HAMBer

Jay if you do find a picture of the Queenstown Mo please let me know. This was on top of the sign at the Queenstown Mo.

There were reunions for a few years by some of the original Mo rats. They even made teen twist's and the Orange freeze. I missed them all. I had been hearing about an art gallery that had pictures of the Mo so I went last year. He puts on a small car show every year.

They turned out to be artist conceptions of the Mo. Nothing that he had looked like the QT Mo. He had some paintings of the Hot Shoppes too. I was the only one there that actually was a QT Mo rat. There were some people there from the Wheaton Mo. I think it was the District Hight's Mo that had the most competition for the QT cars.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
J. Fitzhugh
Grenade Inspector

Tommy,

I will let you know what I find.

Hog Mtn Dave

Very cool shot

41hemi

I bet it runs a little cooler now! I heard about the '55. Paybacks are a bitch!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
hotrod mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog mtn dave View Post
I don't know anything about the pic. My brother found it on a site for folks that grew up in Arlington. I just thought is was cool.

My era was 70s. Can't help you with the '39 Ford. It was pretty much all musclecar stuff then.

Remember this place?
I remember that place very well. All the brothers from Green Valley came there for the half-smokes. Good grub and cheap too. I don't want to derail this thread too much but, we also had the Dixie Pig for great Bar-B-Q. Hell, we ate pretty good back then....
Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
41hemi

Hey Hotrod Mike---are you remembering the DixiePig off of Queenstown Rd. in Anne Arundel Co? That place had cardboard lined walls and a dirt floor...I'll never forget it... they had GREAT ribs!!!! If you wanted a drink they got it out of a cooler on the ground next to the cash register. The cooking was done in a pit outback that could be seen from the picnic tables in the dining room. The county finally shut them down I heard. What a great memory!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
fordstandard

Do search online --there are people keeping it going and have get togethers re; Hot Shoppes

Search-- it it's on there
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
hotrod mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41hemi View Post
Hey Hotrod Mike---are you remembering the DixiePig off of Queenstown Rd. in Anne Arundel Co? That place had cardboard lined walls and a dirt floor...I'll never forget it... they had GREAT ribs!!!! If you wanted a drink they got it out of a cooler on the ground next to the cash register. The cooking was done in a pit outback that could be seen from the picnic tables in the dining room. The county finally shut them down I heard. What a great memory!
Naw, the Dixie Pigs I was referring to were in Alexandria. They were actual restaurants with floors and jukeboxes
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
Pete1

Mighty Mo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	80-G-594.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1005271  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
tommy
Old School HAMBer

One of my proudest achievements of my youth happened inside the Mo one night. All the hoodlums would take the pickle chip out of the Mo and sling it like a frisbee against the big glass windows. It would hit and slide up and stick to the glass. It was the special sauce that did it...1000 island dressing.

The really nice older eastern European waitress named Edith would get sooo upset. We teased her unmercifully but I think see kinda enjoyed the sparring. She was a waitress but always took on the responsibility to get a napkin and clean the windows when she spotted a pickle. She was good people.

I got a pickle to stick to the glass of a14" clock with a perfect shot one night. A once in a lifetime shot.

Last edited by tommy; 06-17-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Makes my mouth water just looking at that luscious Mighty Mo,Tommy.......Don.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Ol Skool '51
Alliance Member

Just found this thread...lotsa memories coming back. We cruised Arlington in the early 60's I remember the Hot Shoppes in that area, but we mostly cruised Topps Drive in on Glebe Road and Lee Highway. I went to the Rosenthal Show every year, even had my '63 Chevy pinstriped at one of the shows.
I can't remember the name of the club that put on that show??
Hot Shoppes had the Mighty Mo and Topps had the Sirloiner. Great eatin'! with fries and an orange freeze.
I remember a local radio station use to broadcast there (at Topps) some nights and you could call in dedications, I think it was WEAM Radio then.
I was a member of the "DUSTERS" Car Club, had my '51 Ford Convertible then and drove my dads red '60 Chevy convertible later if I was lucky.
We use to drag on "H" road down by the Pentagon, the Federal Cops never bothered to chase us too often, we even had a 1/4 mile marker painted on the road.
Sorry to ramble...us old farts do that Sorry no photos, but I think there is a book out on Arlington history that has some photos of the Shirlington Hot Shoppes.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
hotrod mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Skool '51 View Post
Just found this thread...lotsa memories coming back. We cruised Arlington in the early 60's I remember the Hot Shoppes in that area, but we mostly cruised Topps Drive in on Glebe Road and Lee Highway. I went to the Rosenthal Show every year, even had my '63 Chevy pinstriped at one of the shows.
I can't remember the name of the club that put on that show??
Hot Shoppes had the Mighty Mo and Topps had the Sirloiner. Great eatin'! with fries and an orange freeze.
I remember a local radio station use to broadcast there (at Topps) some nights and you could call in dedications, I think it was WEAM Radio then.
I was a member of the "DUSTERS" Car Club, had my '51 Ford Convertible then and drove my dads red '60 Chevy convertible later if I was lucky.
We use to drag on "H" road down by the Pentagon, the Federal Cops never bothered to chase us too often, we even had a 1/4 mile marker painted on the road.
Sorry to ramble...us old farts do that Sorry no photos, but I think there is a book out on Arlington history that has some photos of the Shirlington Hot Shoppes.
Oh yeah, Tops drive in. The Sir Loiner was awesome. A pal of mine ate 5 of those bad boys one night to settle a bet. I still have the salt and pepper shakers I swiped from there. Weam was the radio station with JA the DJ (Jack Alex). He passed some time ago. Or WDON if you could get a clear signal.
There are probably sites with pictures of the various restaurants in the DC, MD, and VA area from back then. Man, life was good back then. Young and dumb and, well, you know the rest.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
hotrod mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
One of my proudest achievements of my youth happened inside the Mo one night. All the hoodlums would take the pickle chip out of the Mo and sling it like a frisbee against the big glass windows. It would hit and slide up and stick to the glass. It was the special sauce that did it...1000 island dressing.

The really nice older eastern European waitress named Edith would get sooo upset. We teased her unmercifully but I think see kinda enjoyed the sparring. She was a waitress but always took on the responsibility to get a napkin and clean the windows when she spotted a pickle. She was good people.

I got a pickle to stick to the glass of a14" clock with a perfect shot one night. A once in a lifetime shot.

HA ha ha We did the same thing at the one in Shirlington. Must have been a universal sport. We also had a guy that made an art form out of finding just the right table and Mooning it from outside. Everybody knew it was coming but it was hilarious every time. Guy was nuts...