Register now to get rid of these ads!

4x4 swapmeet score

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

drove by the fairgrounds and about a bajillion good old boys were filing in and out, carrying chrome cablights and rollin big ass nobby tires

so what the hell I said to myself, a swap meet is a swap meet right?

I pull in, wander though the crouds, looking at everything hoping for the missplaced jewel.

found a single early Cal Custom knock off Japan valve cover,

then as I got to the last stall way in the back corner, sharing a trailer with a flat fender Jeep is this.

this is what the four-by crowd had been walking past all day.

a fresh 394, and good Hydromatic 4 speed, he was asking $400.00, I said ok.
    he also had at home a '53 with rebuilt transmission, also $400.00. again I said ok.

Paul

2. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn Paul... With a 4 speed hydro even. I am jealous.

3. krooser

krooser

Wow!...Several years ago, when I was racing with 351 Fords, I went to a Corvette swap meet quite by mistake...thought it was an all-make affair...among all the "plastic" was a fresh four-bolt main Ford 351-C block PLUS a ton of other stuff from a Pantera project.... I bought the stuff cheap! Nice to see a neat score..Congrats!

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yeah, and the '53 303?, he couldn't remember either, has about 70k original miles on it, but the fresh transmission behind it is a Dynomatic? do I have that right? didn't the Hydromatic plant burn down and they put the Buick transmissions in the Olds for one year?

Paul

5. CGkidd

CGkidd

I believe you are right but I am not sure which models had them. Some of them had Hydro's. Basically they used a Dynaflow if I am correct.
    Eric

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

gotta love them deals where you don't even bother to talk em down, it's such a swingin deal to begin with!

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ah, yes Dynaflow,

here's the spare valve cover,
    and the only other thing I bought,
    a run of the mill, garden variety 350 block, boiled, mag'd, bored .030 over but not final honed for a hundred even.

8. CGkidd

CGkidd

I hate missing deals like that. Hopefully I will make up for it at Portland.
    Eric

9. 61Lancerwagon

61Lancerwagon
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats great!

What year model is the vintage U-haul truck you ride around in? :)
    But seriously thats a pretty huge haul. Having seen a few pics of your various projects I can't wait to see what you use them in.

Randy

10. Green Goblin

Green Goblin

I know that in the 1953 model year Pontiacs, the early ones had the 2 speed Hydramatic's and (since the hydramatic plant did burn down) the late year production ones had the more desirable 3 speed Powerglide's.

Just my .02

B.T.W. A fresh 394 and a Hydromatic 4sp for $400. That is unbelieveable. I've spent close to that much for a damn grille for my 53. Let alone a complete drivetrain. SWEET SCORE. I would have carried that thing home if I had to. :D