Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Us Gals, and Flat Stanley, do the Santa Maria Event

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Jun 7, 2010.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The last time Megan and I were in California for Memorial weekend was for the Paso Robles event in 2007. We had a blast then and knew we'd be back to check out the new location in Santa Maria as soon as we had a chance. This year was it.

My original plan was to drive Big Olds out in mid-May and leave him in California for about 9 months. When the time got closer to leaving I had second thoughts about not having a classic car in Michigan to drive around for that long plus the fact I couldn't get a co-pilot to bonzi run out there with me and fly home. So, we once again copped a couple of cheap seats on an airplane and headed west.

Our plan was to fly in a couple of days early and do a few of the girlie stuff that we never leave ourselves enough time for when we're together. We flew outta Detroit on Wednesday after I got off work. Since Flat Stanely has been a houseguest of mine all winter long, and has been helping out with my kitchen remodel, I decided to take him along as a special treat.

The flight attendants took a special shine to him and asked him to help with the preflight instructions
    [​IMG]

Flat Stanely got his own special jump seat in the back.
    [​IMG]

Megan did some reading and crossword puzzles...
    [​IMG]

and Flat Stanley and I spent time reading the manual to my new phone and trying to figure everything out.:eek:
    [​IMG]

Didn't take Flat Stanley long to get bored with that so he wandered up front and hung out with the pilots
    [​IMG]

Wasn't long before he was flying the plane.:eek:
    [​IMG]

Landed safely and for those that pay extra attention to these adventure threads I bet you can figure out where we headed once we landed and picked up our ride.

Megan's favorite California eatery
    [​IMG]

We then headed over to CrazyBackyardBuilder's home in Hollywood.....
    [​IMG]

....where we introduced him to Flat Stanley
    [​IMG]

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Brian for once again opening up his home to two wayward car gals. We really appreciate your hospitality.....oh yeah and the thoughtfullness of having a blowdryer for overnight guests that like to blowdry and style their hair.;):D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  2. heavytlc

heavytlc

You are my FAVORITE. I love your posts! You know how to have a good time, and always smile.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

On Thursday morning we got up early and headed out the door, early for us I should say. We had plans to meet up with KiwiKev at his home in Venture. We've been wanted to check out his place for years but just haven't had the opportunity. Today was the day and we were both very excited. My new phone's GPS looks and works just like my "old" one. Very cool!
    [​IMG]

We arrived at KiwiKev's without any hassles
    [​IMG]

Both of us walked into his backyard and just stood there trying to take eveything in:eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the machinery was on one side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a storage area behind an interior fence
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I LOVE these vintage chairs. Wish I had a whole back patio fulled with them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I WILL have a flathead path in my garden soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then went into the "other" half
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin's different collections are just amazing
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

5. Have fun and keep us updated.

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We even got a tour of the "reading room":D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kev's surfboard collection
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I LOVE this......it would make a perfect scrapbooking station:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How about this....a pink spark plug
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He even has a "normal" backyard section
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lorodz

lorodz

awsome pics ...kiwi has a fantastic back yard ..you gals are so lucky to be able to visit those places ...hey kiwi send me some salt lol..

9. inline 292

inline 292

WOW! Thanks for sharing.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Kevin then took us for a quick tour of Venture and up to lookout point
    [​IMG]

AWESOME view!
    [​IMG]

Kevin then had to leave us and head to work. I'd like to thank Kevin for taking the morning off work so we could come and visit. Means alot to us that you did that for us. We really appreciate it and of course look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Kevin headed to work and we headed to downtown Venture to do some shopping and lunch. We parked directly in front of the pizza place that we WERE all going to meet at for lunch. No one was around.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

I thought of my HAMB pal jersey Mike when I saw this sub shop:D
    [​IMG]

We walked by these windows and I had to take a second look.....do I spot a car cookie jar???:eek:
    [​IMG]

We headed inside and I asked about the cookie jar in the window. They then told me they had more further into the store and proceeded to show me where. OMG!:eek: a whole section of car themed cookie jars with one of them being one that I have been looking for for a long time. Issue was, how to get them home. Not to worry, I'll cross that bridge on Monday.:D

I purchased three cookie jars, a woodie surf wagon salt and pepper shakers and a little racer hinged car. I blew my whole "wad" in that one store.:eek:
    [​IMG]

We made a trip back to the car then continued shopping.:D
    I really liked this license plate surf wagon.
    [​IMG]

This VW was really cool. We had a bite to eat then continued to head south.
    [​IMG]

11. 4woody

4woody

I see the blow dryer is not all that was provided.
    Bet that massager felt good too!
    [​IMG]

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Next stop....Santa Barbara!
    Top down in PT Snoozer, tunes on and AWESOME Pacific Ocean views.:cool:
    [​IMG]

Wasn't too long before we came upon some guys taking in the view and sipping on some cold ones. We stopped and introduced ourselves. I can't remember anyone's name except HAMB member Fonzi. It was nice meeting you boys and checking out your cool cars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at the Harley shop on the way to use the ladies room. Harley shops always have nice, clean restrooms.:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Once we arrived in Santa Barbara we drove around for abit getting a lay of the land then parked and SHOPPED!:D

I know you guys don't want to see alot of photos of shopping except maybe this one. We stopped in the VAN store and while Megan was trying on some tops I was checking out the decks. Our good HAMB pal CoupeDeCab designed the one in the middle with the dragon on it.
    [​IMG]

We then headed over to HAMB pal Rusk's Aunt's Italian resturant for dinner.
    [​IMG]

WOW, was it delicious! I can thank you enough for recommending the place. Our meal was AWESOME and the service was superior! Thank so much!
    [​IMG]

After dinner we headed to the movies. Believe it or not Megan and I, after all these years of being friends had never been to the show together.
    [​IMG]

It was a late showing and so afterwards we headed to bed to catch some sleep knowing we wanted to get up early to bike ride in the morning and continue to shop.

Stay tuned for Friday thru Mondays adventure.

14. Deu55

Deu55

Great pix,cant wait to read the rest....Rod.

15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Looking forwad to the continuing adventures of Megan and Denise. More fun than two gals should leagally be able to have ! Enjoy your trip !!

16. Dam denise is this a shopping expedtion.
    Way cool looking forward to seeing you and megan in indy.
    Hey does kev need a step son
    I'm offering myself for the position if so

17. I sure am glad the sun broke through the fog for your trip "north". Now I am bummed I didn't get to meet Flat Stanley, I guess you left him sleeping in the car. Mr Bones had a fun time when he visited. I'm glad you stopped by, see you again sometime soon!

18. another fine adventure,thanks for coveing kevs place so well!! man he has a lot of cool stuff!

19. kisam

kisam

I need this in the worst way Denise and I don't think he would miss it??;)

[​IMG]

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

:DAs soon as I took that photo and looked at it in the camera I said to myself the HAMB boys are going to have a field day with this one.:D

He doesn't need any stinky boys around, just us adoptable girls :p

Poor Flat Stanley kinda got neglected this trip and didn't make it out of the car much.:eek:

You and me both sister, you and me both :D

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Friday morning we were up and out the door bright and early. We headed to the bike rental place, picked out a couple of beach cruisers in our favorite color and headed up State Street. We decided to head up the hill to the mission.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were setting up for a festival and there were alot of chalk artists starting their work
    [​IMG]

I really love the craftsman architecture of the area.
    [​IMG]

I could cruise around all day looking at the houses and gardens but we had a beach path to ride on as well so we headed down the hill to the water
    [​IMG]

After we cruised around on the bikes for a couple of hours we did some more shopping and Megan got her toenails done. We headed out mid-afternoon for Santa Maria.

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Once in Santa Maria we found the Inn pretty easy........
    [​IMG]

......and parked the car in the structure and started to walk around checking out the cars. Didn't take us long to come across someone we knew. Ran into 50Fraud and was able to check out his AWESOME ride. Nice seeing ya again bud!
    [​IMG]

Shortly thereafter a HAMB lurker came up and introduced himself but of course I forgot his name. It was nice meeting you and chatting though
    [​IMG]

Saw Cleatus's ride but him and Mrs Cleatus were no where to be found
    [​IMG]

I loved this old survivor looking convertible except I found out later it was running a SBC. I was disappointed.
    [​IMG]

The Darryl Hollenbeck painted wagon that we all know and love
    [​IMG]

We just kept seeing one cool car after another parked in the lot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marie O'Dell's awesome Caddy. It was wonderful meeting her and her husband Roger who I just found out is a HAMB member. Looking forward to hanging out together in the future.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barb, AKA 32gals's perfect roadster. It was WONDERFUL seeing you and Randy again and having the chance to hang out together so much over the weekend.
    [​IMG]

Our good pal John Denich....loved hanging out with you as well sweetie. Flat Stanley apprecaited you keeping him warm.
    [​IMG]

and his awesome ride
    [​IMG]

Alan and Melissa of Billetproof fame stopped over to meet everyone and chat. GREAT seeing you two again!
    [​IMG]

I remember this car from Paso
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then ran into Eyrk and had a nice chat. We so wished you would have brought your new ride. We're really looking forward to seeing it in person one of these days
    [​IMG]

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We then took alittle walk to check out the cars in the different parking lots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then pack to the Inn to wait for the start of the cruise
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran into my old pal Jim (not on the HAMB) but some might remeber him as the guy that stopped in his Sedan Delivery when we broke down in 2007 on the ID/WY boarder. We then ran into him in Jackson Hole and each year at the B'ville Salt Flats during Speed Week. It was fun hanging out with him in the parking lot and getting caught up
    [​IMG]

Ran into Art Himsel and he remebered our 2007 conversation in Paso, very cool dude!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I LOVE Alan Mayes. He's such a nice guy.
    [​IMG]

At 7pm promptly the cruzn started and shortly thereafter I hopped in John, No55mad's Model A and went cruzn with him. John and his lovely wife Janice were our hosts for the weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CaddyNut and his lovely wife
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  25. seriouslybaby

seriouslybaby
    from small town

i want kiwi kevs house, yard, garage... & everything in it!!! cant wait to see the rest of this adventure!!!

26. Racrdad

Racrdad

Denise, I enjoy your posts so much. Thanks for bringing me a smile this morning.

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Lots of HAMB pals hanging out watching the action
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

50Fraud cruz'd for awhile then took a break to watch the action
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gene in the jade Idol II
    [​IMG]

Oh no, I know who these boys are....nothing but trouble!:p
    [​IMG]

Well except for the driver Kent who is a sweetheart.....that's Groucho in the backseat closest to the camera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

Alan, KustomBuick from Washington
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marcy and her posse. WONDERFUL seeing you again sweetie!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HAMB goup again. I can't tell ya how many loops we made but it wasALOT!:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Megan playing Frogger:D
    [​IMG]

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riv's, customized right outta the box. Too cool!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This setup was so sweet I shot it every chance I got
    [​IMG]

:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

John and I then took a break from cruzn and I proceeded to shoot some photos from the sidewalk. Thanks so much for the ride John. It was fun chatting and getting to know you as we cruzed.

Megan going for a ride with PhatCaddy. AWESOME meeting and hanging out with you so much over the weekend sweetie. We both really enjoyed your company and look forward to doing it again real soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By now it was getting too dark to shoot any more photos and the cruz was whining down. I'd like to add my thanks to Penny, the City of Santa Maria, and the police force, for organizing such an awesome addition to the car show. I really LOVE seeing the cars in motion. You all did a bang up job the whole weekned! Thanks!

Me, Megan and PhatCaddy then headed across the street to the Chinese resturant for a late dinner. We ran into Primer Dave and his posse eating there as well. What a treat meeting and hanging out with a couple of long time HAMB pals that I hadn't met before. You both ROCK!

Hung out in the Inn's parking lot for awhile after dinner then headed over to John's place for a good nights sleep.