Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 chevy 2 door panel wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 88 gtu, Jun 6, 2010.

1. 88 gtu

88 gtu

My dad told me for years about this car his father had on the farm when he was a kid.It was either a chevy or pontiac panel wagon.My grandfather got it from his brother in the mid 60's.It was a delivery car for his construction company and he used to haul fuel to the machines and because it smelled so bad like diesel fuel he never drove it.instead it sat in the yard and then finally it got parked way at the back of the property against the woodline.My grandfather eventually sold the property and the car was lost.My dad always wondered if it was still there.We decided to leave a note on the door one day and when the people came home they recognized the last name.They called my dad and he talked to them for a few about the house and then asked about a possible car in the backyard by the woods.They said YES there was a car in the yard but it was out in the woods a ways (they have no intrest in cars).So he arranged a tim to come see it,we went there and started walking through the woods.No sign of it? Then out a little ways we saw something.....It was IT! Here it is,Driven out back and parked in the 60's.Now 45 years later here it sits,Looking like a ghost being swallowed up by nature.I thought this was a great story so i wanted to share it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 10secondA

10secondA

thats a bitchin car are you guys gonna save it, looks like in pretty good shape

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

Share it? Someone needs to save it. Those are super cool.

4. Dyce

Dyce

Thanks for sharing!! You are going back with a trailer right?

5. 88 gtu

88 gtu

It's in Durham Maine.The people told my dad we could take it if we wanted but we both have a shitpile of cars right now Mabey once these are out of the way.

6. cheveey57

cheveey57

I agree, they'll probably let you have it if you haul it away. That baby needs a second life........

7. slammed

slammed

Please save it. W/out being a PC 'troll' it's a Sedan Delivery. The 'panel's were based on the truck chassis. Again, I am not correcting your description. I do wish it were mine. I'd make it driver 1st. Then tackle the sheetmetal.

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

If you don't have the time for it , why not rescue it from the elements and sell it to someone that does . everyone wins ,and a cool car is saved from the rust devil.

9. 88 gtu

88 gtu

That car is pretty rough But i plan on saving it at some point.It's not something i could get to drive right away.Someone raped it so theres some shit missing (what u can see in the pics) + they smashed the cluster glass and took the needles,all the glass is broken,it's sunken into the ground right up to the frame.The important stuff is there but theres alot missing and i'm guessing the floors are gone,unless all the spilled fuel saved the back half (crosses fingers).i's a 6 cyl 3speed car so that would have to go.Too much work for this season But when i go get it i'll be taking plenty of pics and video.My grandfather planted a shitload of pine trees in the back yard it's swallowed up by them now so i'll have to cut a row or 2 of them down just to get it to the back of the field.I think the pines are what saved it,the acid from the pines doesn't let anything grow on the ground so it stays fairly dry and its on that little hill so it never floods.

10. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

great story and find glad to see she was still there, my friend has a 59 panel, that looks like its never left the show room floor that his grandfather gave him

11. I love it! And don't be to quick to deep six the six. They're good engines and" 6 in a row can go"! Or a 348....

12. 88 gtu

88 gtu

I have a 454 sitting on the floor in my garage that would work good too.It was supposed to go in my 49 pontiac but i think i'm gonna use a Duramax in that car?

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

i agree on the 6. I started out with the same thought on my 235, but now that is is running good and has a split exhaust, it may stay in the Nomad for a long time. just be sure you are getting oil to the top end.

14. Doug B

Doug B

Cool story...you really should go get it..put it in a shed or something until you're ready to build it

15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

People die, change their minds, go nuts, etc.
    Grab it while you can have it, and store it someplace until you can get to it!!
    JMHO.....

16. 88 gtu

88 gtu

You guys are a bad influence,I try not to look at the pics because i have so much on my plate right now but all this taunting could lead to some action.Remember i'm down with the sickness as much as u guys are.Does anyone know the bolt pattern off hand so i can start looking for rims and tires that hold air?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

5 on 4-3/4. If I was closer I'd help you get it. I got plenty of spares.

18. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

You should definitely go get it now, even if you have to have it sit a little longer.... Man, when it is given to you, go get it. It should be saved, though. Cool story....

SpeedAddict001

19. 88 gtu,

Not to pile on... If they said you could have it, I say go get it. I've seen and heard some unfortunate things about freebies. Some people say they want something and never come and get it which only makes the person giving something away frustrated or angry. I've also seen people who said they would give something away change their minds, and throw it out; give it to someone else, or try to get top dollar for it through __________. Just a gentle nudge toward "don't test fate".

More pictures when you get it home! It will be a really cool ending to the story you have on it so far.

just my 2 cents,

Scott/Gotta56forme

20. gtu 88, Great story and pix. Thanks for sharing! Yeah, you have the affliction as we all do. The difference in this case is that it was a family vehicle and now it dropped into your lap after 45 years. It's a cool car of which there are not many left. I gotta jump on the bandwagon and say go get it. Get it before the folks change their minds or something else happens. Even if you never do anything with it, you'll have it to pass on to your son or someone else in the family. Just another $.02 from one with the GM strain of the affliction.

21. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Save that car...PLEASE!!!!!! Giz'

22. 88 gtu

88 gtu

You guys aren't leaving me with much of a choice.I'll have to plan this mission with my dad tomorrow and find some wheels and tires,I'll get it before snow falls.

23. Deuces

Deuces

Where did the pictures go?? All I see is red x boxes...

24. 88 gtu

88 gtu

I can see them.

25. it's a rare production car...it's rare because of family....and the RARE panel stuff looks to be there...hell I'll bring a shovel and help!

26. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

What the... I just... garblephlugg... Free? And you're not oiling the chain saws and checking the trailer tires NOW?

-KK

27. The interior trim parts, from the front doors back, are the most difficult pieces to find. Hopefully that car still has them. The next toughest parts would be those related to the rear door. New glass for the rear door has been reproduced (although now discontinued); fortunately, the guy who had the glass made still has a few left. Parts like replacement quarters and rear floors could be scavenged from the wagons and El Camino. The rest is the same as the other passenger cars (Impala, Biscayne, etc).

The car looks/sounds rough based on the photos and description, although it's rarity would warrant it being pulled from the woods. There were only a few thousand made in '60 and probably only a couple hundred left now. It'd be a lot of work, but I think it would probably be a more worthwhile project than any you currently have under way unless they're some highly desirable models..

28. howco

howco

Get it off the ground, please, somebody......

29. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

I had one just like it 20 years ago! Lowered w/ slots, 235, 3-on-the-tree, mexican blanket interior, solid as hell and in grey primer. I had big plans for it but moved a couple of times and didn't have a place to store it and sold it too cheap! Definitely one of the ones that "got away"! Save this one before it's too late!!!

30. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

They give you the car and your going to drag your feet going to get it:eek:

If I was those folks, and you told me, O yea I'll come back and get it someday, I'd make damn sure it went to somebody else....just about anybody.

"I'll go get it before the snow flies"

Guys like you piss me off.

Cool story, Thanks for sharing,

Greg