Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 10th Anniversary Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills of SD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagehotrods, May 27, 2010.

1. This year was the 10th Anniversary of the Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills of South Dakota and I was determined to make it although we are in the middle of our house sale and move to Prescott, Arizona. We left pretty late Thursday evening for the 400 mile drive out across South Dakota for the cruise on Friday and Saturday after Jan got off work. That day I had worked on fixing several things on the roadster that had needed to be done for a long time. Unfortunately I didn't do one thing I should have. I had just received my new registration for YOM plates for the roadster but I had major brain fade and thought my old tags were still current. Since they are totally different plates I thought I would put remounting them off until after the trip. Unfortunately the South Dakota Highway Patrol pointed out the error of my ways that my plates expired last July and pulled me over about 150 miles west, near Oacoma, SD. I hadn't brought the '32 plates along so I had to turn around and go back home or risk getting another ticket every time I saw the law. So it was 150 miles back home to get the plates and mount them and start out the next day. What's another 300 miles anyway?

This year we were staying at the beautiful K-Bar-S Lodge that is near Keystone and within sight of Mount Rushmore. You can see George Washingtons face from the property and it is by far the nicest, neatest place I have ever stayed at in the Black Hills. Check them out here: http://www.kbarslodge.com/

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010 10th Anniversary Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills</td></tr></table>
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010 10th Anniversary Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills</td></tr></table>
    Every morning started out with a great breakfast buffet that was included at no charge! Karen says its fantastic! And the coffee was working great too! Many thanks go to Karen and Randy Hedge and Carla and Gene Jobgen for setting up our accomodations and leading us on a great tour of the Black Hills this year!
    Since I was still traveling acrooss the state I didn't get any pictures of Friday's cruise. On Friday morning the tour started in Rapid City at Gene Jobgen's shop, A & A Restoration (http://aarestor.com/) Gene always has a great selection of projects in the works and since he specializes in metal fabrication there is always a lot of old Ford tin to drool over. From there the group headed to the northern Black Hills for some choice cruising though Van Nocker Canyon and Spearfish Canyon and over to Deadwood. The clouds opened up and rained while the group was stopped for lunch near Lead but it quit when they headed way back into the hills to Rochford where they toured Dean Robertson's machine shop, racing collection and stash of hot rods. Dean is a machinist and long time builder of hopped up banger and flathead engines. By then I was on the trail of the group trying to catch up but just missed them when they left Dean's so I headed to Deadwood where they I thought they were headed for some gambling but they had headed back to Keystone. After checking out Deadwood we finally caught up and met at the Powder House Lodge for a great dinner. When we finished the sky opened up and it just poured making several of the roadsters into bathtubs! But they all started and made it back to K-Bar-S.
    They have a great place between the lodge buildings that kept us dry while partied together. The next morning dawned bright and beautiful with a good crowd of roadsters parked and waiting to cruise.
    Tom Huber (TomH) finished the morning cleaning and drying out duties before we hit the road.
    Our trip started on Old Hill City Road and continued up the winding Playhouse Road to Sylvan Lake with a few one lane tunnels on the way with a stop at the beautiful Needles.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Wow, beautiful place! Nice looking group of roadsters.

3. The "Needles Eye" is always a strange sight.
    Randy Hedge is waiting to lead the group back down the road (Karen, where are you?)
    Back on the road to Sylvan Lake in Custer Sate Park.
    Kevin and Sherri Brende in their '34 roadster.
    Ed and Evonne Shell in their 392 hemi powered '34 roadster
    Randy and Pam Gribble with beautiful Sylvan Lake in the background
    My wife Jan and the roadster dawg Ted

Sylvan Lake

Entering the big town of Custer

4. Darren came from Minnesota to drive with his dad Dewey in his '32 roadster from Spririt Lake, IA
    Brothers Tim (Eyeball) and Todd Ebens from Moorhead, MN in Tim's cool black flatty powered '32 roadster with Gene Jobgen (did I surprise you Gene?) <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010 10th Anniversary Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills</td></tr></table>
    There's a lot more pictures to come so stay tuned!

5. Cool Pictures! My family is all from the Black Hills and my 34 came from the Lead/Deadwood area. Hopefully you guys drove "the back way" from Rapid/Keystone up Highway 385 toward Deadwood/Lead. That is one of the most beautiful drives there is! My Mom just moved back there from Torrance, CA - lives on a couple hundred acres out by the Brownsville/Boondocks store that you pass on 385. I was just back at her ranch a month or so ago -- snowed at least a foot . . . and that was the beginning of May!

I can't believe you made it to what my Uncle used to call "The Thriving Metropolis of Rochford" . . . now that is way back in the Hills and there is some beautiful country around that area. I didn't know there was a flathead/hotrod guy there - I'll have to stop buy and see him this summer. Can you PM me and give me his contact information - would much appreciate it.

Great that you guys went down Spearfish Canyon - I used to work at the original 'Spearfish Canyon Lodge' in the summertime (my Aunt ran it a few years). The new version is a couple miles from where the original site was -- too bad they closed the original quite a few years ago. Hopefully you made it to Saloon #10 - one of my favorite bars in all of this country . . . a timeless place from the Old West days.

Thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll hook up with you guys some year and make the trip out from Ohio.

Dale

6. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

How would a guy find out about going on this?

7. TomH

TomH

We always do it the weekend before the Memorial weekend. Get a hold of me or Eyeball as vintagehotrods is moving down south, and bring your roadster!!

8. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

That is just a bitchen cruise! wow!

9. It was a blast! I have a few more pics I'll add when I get a chance. When we were driving through Custer Park a buffalo tried to kick one of the roadster in the drivers door, so needless to say we didn't spend much time around the buffalo!

10. McFly

McFly

Wow...looks like a great time!

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The Black Hills are some of the most scenic spots in SoDak...been there many times in my rod and kustom, but doing it in a roadster would give a person a whole different perspective.

I think I climbed that rock where all the roadsters were parked. I think I've got a photo from up there looking down...let me see if I can find it...

R-

12. That does look like Great Fun!! Hey Eyeball,did you guys drive your roadster out there from Mhd.?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  13. yes we did. Didn't even break down once..... but that is what BTT50'S is for.:)

14. Sorry I missed you guys, we were hauling home dads new 56 Chevy Saturday morning.

The Black Hills suck, you folks should just say home. ;)

15. 31Rodder

31Rodder

This was a great trip. I hope to make it again next year.

16. rodhot

rodhot

I see the pic of Randy and Pam, is that Kevin and Barb in the 64' vert. They are my wifes aunts and uncles. Would you happen to know when your club puts on that show there in Watertown. We were thinking to try and make it up there this year. Hope we haven't missed out on it already.

17. bonesy

bonesy

Gotta love a roadster ride.

Cool

18. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Okay I am adding this to a must do...

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Beautiful scenery and roads! Unfortunately from E. Iowa, it's 12 hours OF NOTHING to get there. Love the '36 Ford!!!! :cool:

20. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Beautiful Scenery. Looked like a Great Cruise.

I have a mate that lives in SD (the bottom RH corner of the state), but he has never mentioned the scenery as you've shown in your pics. He only complains about how cold it is.

21. Since I have so much stuff to haul down there, I'll try to schedule a trip back here the third weekend in May. Since I'll still have a place up here you aren't going to get rid of me that easy!

22. If he lives in the SE corner of the state his life sucks anyway. It is East Dakota And West Dakota, seriously, the states would me more alike if ND and SD were east and West instead of North and South.

23. That's them. The Vintiques Rod Run is usually the second or third weekend in September. You can download the flyer from their website here: http://www.vintiquescarclub.com/index.html

24. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Hey rodhot, the Watertown rod run is always the first weekend in Sept. Its an excellent show, last year there were a couple hundred nice cars, well worth the trip.

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

LOOKS like a lot of FUN :D

I need to do this ... in my roadster

Your run is the weekend BEFORE Memorial Day and our ALL DEUCES RUN is the Saturday after Memorial Day.

MAYBE I can do BOTH next year. :D :D

26. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Allright I've jumped the gun on the Watertown rod run date, Its the first weekend after Labor day.......Sept. 10th-12th.....sorry for the goof.

27. Our next stop was a garage tour at Don Lowe's shop just outside of Custer.
    Don gave us a demonstration of his two in-floor lifts for lifting heavy stuff in the shop. He has a well equiped machine shop and metal working tools too as evidenced by all of the sculpture he has built and decorated his place with. We were wondering if he ever sleeps!
    Don even has own private pond stocked with Rainbow trout that really love to eat!
    This is one of my favorite pictures that is on the way to the "edge" of the world in Edgemont. I swear you can see for 50 miles from this road! There aren't may places where you can actually see the curvature of the earth!
    Once we got to the bottom of the hill we filled up Edgemont's main street with hotrods.
    We happily let Randy and Karen Hedge feed us their fantastic huge burgers, fries and the best onion rings in the west at their 50's themed restaurant "Remember When".

28. Our next stop was a great old salvage yard still in full time operation that's loaded with tons of neat old stuff. If you ever get to Edgemont, pay Bennie Hatch a visit at Village Repair.
    Todd had a big grin and didn't didn't want to leave!
    Randy Gribble checks out a Kaiser "hatchback"! Whens the last time you saw one of these?

29. Thanks for the [pictures Jerry

30. <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010 10th Anniversary Lake Area Roadsters Reliability Run to the Black Hills</td></tr></table>
    I didn't know how I would get it home but I figured I could get Randy and Karen could "store" it for me but Bennie said "It's not for sale!" Damn!
    We hated to leave but the wind came up and there was a front moving in. Typical South Dakota, "If you don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes and it willl change!" Check out the '40 Ford sedan under the tree!
    Although you can't tell by the pictures, there was a nasty cold cross wind of about 45 mph as we headed into "Wind Cave" National Park. Now I know how it got it's name!
    Here is where the buffalo didn't like getting off the road and took a kick at the door of one of the roadsters!
    These ornery critters also left a lot of "Buffalo Pie" on the road for us to dodge!
    Stay tuned! More to come!