Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Torque Fest 2011 - April 29-30th

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, May 27, 2010.

1. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Yes - It is official. Pre party April 29 - show is April 30.

The Vintage Torque Fest has outgrown the Farley Speedway.

For those of you that were there, you know
    that if we get ANY more people there it will be waaaaay too crowded. As a result, we have decided to
    go ahead and move the show down about 20 miles south of Dubuque. The 2010 Vintage Torque Fest was in Farley, Iowa.
    This was a great location and everyone seemed to enjoy the "out in the middle of nowhere" vibe that was
    present at the show. We feel that Maquoketa Iowa, just 20 miles SOUTH of Dubuque, will have that small
    town feel to it as well, but will have a couple of added bonuses.

We know that the thing that makes the Vintage Torque Fest unique is the dirt track - so we have made sure
    that we have secured a location that DOES have a dirt track. And yes - you can take your car ON THE DIRT!
    We hope to be able to mix in a bit of mud this year as well for the crazy cats that wanna really wanna mix it up!
    Another great thing about this location is that the indoor area is about 4000 more square feet. This means
    we can get about the same amount of cars we had in the past, but fit them in there much more comfortably.
    The outdoor area will most likely host the bands, so that the vendors inside the hall will be able to
    carry on conversations a bit easier than in the past. We will still have some cool background music on,
    but it won't be so loud you are unable to talk to your fellow hot rodders. There is a bar inside so those
    that wish to grab a cold one will have no problems. This year we will have MORE food vendors as well so
    no more waiting in line for over 30 minutes (we hope). And there will be plenty of parking for the spectators on
    hard surface so there will be no one getting stuck in the mud (we hope).

We have already begun working on getting some amazing rides lined up for the indoor custom/ show rods area. (So if you have a nice show rod/custom - please email us)
    We have committed to an expanded art show, since many people were wanting to purchase ORIGINAL art from
    many of the artists that contributed to the art show (helmets that were on display at the show). So
    2011 will see artist that will contribute to an all new art show display - but also some of their art for
    sale will be there as well. The special guest artist that we have lined up for 2011 is Keith Weesner. He has
    fans all over and we are pleased to have him be coming to Iowa. Max Grundy will most likely make a
    return visit in 2011 and perhaps he can bring a couple of his friends along as well.

We are working with the city of Maquoketa to make this a very special event for the hot rod community that
    came to the show in 2010. We thank all those that came from Texas, North Carolina, California, Michigan,
    Ohio, Kansas and all the regional folks as well. We think that April 30, 2011 is going to be a huge
    kick off to the season and hope that you will keep spreading the word about the show.

For those that missed the show, you can take a look at the video here to see what you missed.
    www.vintagetorquefest.com
    Just click on the video on the main page and the 3 minute montage will start.
    There are also pictures of some of the festivities as well.

Thanks again for all that have contributed to the www.helpinghannahsheart.org fund.
    We will again have all proceeds go to the fund for 2011.
    If you wish to bid on any of the helmets that were at the show, please visit the HAMB
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/
    The helmets are being auctioned off on that site.
    If you need to know how to bid - just email me.

Have a great summer and I will seeya at the Scrap Drive or Road Block or Symco Shakedown or HAMB Drags or
    something like that!

2. Awesome show!! We already have our plans made for 2011!!!!

3. Excellent news John! Can't wait for next year.

4. MaClutch

MaClutch
    from Midwest

The dates are blocked and we will be there with the can to partake

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

will be there again ! hats off to you john for making it happen and already planning to make it better next year ! can't wait

6. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I'm in. Where's the volenteer sign up.............

And Dammit I'm drivin this year, so help me God.

Jeff

7. Now we all have to learn to spel (and pronounce) Maquoketa :D (Ma-Coke-It-Uh)

All kidding aside, I had a great time this year as a spectator & who knows, might even have something cool to drive over in next year! Either way I'll be there! Thanks for putting on a 1 heck of a cool show!

8. Ha ha ha John, who is the show whore now? I'm less than 75 days til my show and haven't even started a 2010 Symco post on here and your already going with 2011 torque fest?!? LOL. I am officially naming you the winner of the overpromotion trophy. As I took it from Breeder, I am very happy to pass it on to you. he he he.

I'm not even going to try to pronounce this place. Long as I can type it in the Garmin, I can get there.

9. redhawk74

redhawk74

had a blast down at the show, found out about it the week before at jefferson from coolstuff himself....

be back next year...

10. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Way to go John, hope to make it . I will try really hard, sorry I missed this one and dont want to miss another one.

Jeff

11. scarylarry

scarylarry

Muddy dirt track? thats crazy, nobody will want to drive on that!

12. Looks like the Jackson County Fairgrounds?
    Closer drive for us!

13. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Will be there and it will be EPIC...

And I am speaking for many other fellow cheaters ...yep they will be there too.

Rome

14. out plowing

out plowing

Inking the calendar for the weekend, and looking forward for another great show!

15. Master of None

Master of None

Plan on being there,bringing more cars too.

16. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

The Oliver Crew will be there in full force to help & enjoy!!..Thanks for last year John!!

17. riverrat

riverrat

thats mack-whoa-kee-ta to the uneducated. my brother in law lives 6 block from the fairgrounds. guess where ill be crashing?

riverrat

18. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Looking forward to the show already!

19. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Awesome news!!! I can't wait, had a lot of fun and got to meet a lot of cool people. I will definitely be setting my art up again!!! :)

20. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

You can count me in and will bring a convoy from Indiana.

21. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

haha....well, im gettin older and a lil road rashy...time to let the young kids be the whore now!!!
    btw...rust revival may 25 2021!!~! there, now im covered for a few yrs!:D

22. Jaker

Jaker

Can we work night security again?

23. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John have you got anything squared away with Mr. Voy yet? Give me a call sometime if you need anything up here. Later, Doug

24. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

still in the works with the city and others to make this show a really memorable weekend..........
    I will post more when the details become available.

As for over promotion - all the OTHER promoters have told me 2nd year can be harder to get people to than the 1st........

so I will be trying even harder in 2011.

We lost money in 2010 and can't afford to keep on doing that.

Thanks for everyone's support.
    I know that with everyone on board we will be able to make this show something fun for all who attend.

25. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

We have confirmed that the drive in WILL be a part of the show.

Now we have something to do Saturday night!

We are in the process of getting movies that are hot rod related.

The short list:

2 Lane Blacktop
    American Graffiti
    Thunder Road
    Hot Rods to Hell

This will be a DOUBLE feature

the 2nd movie is going to be something that is drive in appropriate.

Example:

ANY Universal Horror movie (Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy, Creature from Black Lagoon)
    Godzilla, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman etc.
    We will see what we are able to get.......
    ultimately we are at the mercy of the 35mm prints that are out there.

This is a REAL drive in and not some portable thing that we can just show any DVD.

Only 35mm prints can be shown at this place.

Here is the link to the drive in:

http://www.maquoketa.com/61drivein/

We have reserved this place RAIN OR SHINE and I hope that everyone will want to come to the show on Saturday and hang out and then.......
    head out to the Drive In and have a good time there.

The drive in is a smaller place and can only fit 250-300 cars.

I think those that PRE REGISTER will have the first crack at getting into the drive in.

I feel this is the only fair way to do this.

Otherwise some people that show up the day of the show have just as good chance of getting in as the people that reserved a spot in January.

If you can think of any other way to help the drive in part of the show - please let me know!

Everytime I have been to events that take place at drive ins...........
    they have always been way cool and I really hope that people will enjoy this as much as I have at other locations - like GREASERAMA in KC

Look forward to hearing suggestions!

26. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Sounds like you have a lot to offer for this show, hope to make it there..

27. ...sounds great John, plan on a bunch of our Tin Butchers club attending.
    ...sent you an email.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  28. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

I can't wait to go to show. It will be our first time. Any info where to stay?
    I'm all excited about the drive-in too.

29. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

[​IMG]

It is official - This will be ONE of the double feature movies that will be shown April 30, 2011

If you have never seen this - then this line will mean nothing to you - if you have seen it - this is THE line of the movie...........

"How about fifty? "
    "Make it three yards, motherF*%ker, and we'll have us an automobile race. "

30. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

SWAP MEET BIGGER AND BETTER THIS YEAR!

Many people came to the Vintage Torque Fest last year searching for those elusive parts from yesteryear. While many people came away with some truly rare finds - others were left wanting more. Well - in an attempt to give people what they want.....Torque Fest has teamed up with the Tin Butchers to bring an expanded swap meet! More space for a cheaper price! We still have the same strict entry guidelines for people wanting to sell at the swap meet. But this year, with the Tin Butchers, we will undoubtedly get a much larger swap meet.

If you dont know....the Tin Butchers put on the Scrap Drive. This is one of the best PARTS ONLY swap meets in the midwest. Yes there are much bigger swap meets........but those have tupperware, vinyl graphics, hot wheels, and snowmobile parts. The Scrap Drive is one of those few shows that want ONLY the good stuff and that is why Torque Fest is so happy to have these guys on board with the event. They know how to do it right and we hope that people here in the midwest will want to come out and dig some of the good stuff outta their garage and bring it down on April 30, 2011. Seeya there with your '35 grills and NOS 6 volt light bulbs....or whatever else you got hiding!!! Bring it down and make some $$ and help your fellow hot rodders get their rides back on the road.

10 x 20 spots will be $15
    (size of spot can be negotiated with Sam from Tin Butchers)
    1 wristband will be given out per spot.
    This wristband gets you into the show.
    If you have extra people with you - they will have to pay the $5 spectator fee to get in to the show.

I was really encouraged when I saw how much bigger the swap meet was this year at the Symco Shakedown. I can only hope that we expand that much - obviously Cliffy got the word out and it showed!

There have been a LOT of people really wanting to make this a bigger part of the
    show.........The Tin Butchers have stepped up and taken the responsibility.

Thanks to Sam (rusty1 on the HAMB) and Kerry and all the others that have agreed to help out with this......
    perhaps we can call this Scrap Drive Iowa?