Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thrashing on my dads 33 truck - PICS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, May 10, 2010.

1. I posted awhile back, planning for this build and thanking the HAMBers who have helped with pics, dimensions and information

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454958

The thrash week has finally arrived! My dad flew in from Seattle on Friday. We got a late start in on Saturday visited a few local shops and had a few beers with local hot rodders. We managed some real progress today, we needed to weld in a temporary brace at the firewall and pie cut the flanges to pinch the truck rails a couple inches, "32ratsass" loaned us his plasma cutter, "Lowriders Art Gallery" and "jalopykid" helped us work out some details. Hope to hang the front end and set the box on the rear and start laying out the rear end tomorrow.

This is a first for he and I (we didn't see eye to eye when I was a punk teenager). My mom is all bent at this project, she is sure he will get into trouble with it.... AND I HOPE HE DOES.

Go ahead and tell us what we've done wrong so far. Its been the best damn couple days he and I've had in a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, It is great that you and your dad are building this truck together. It is going to be one mean looking hot rod !

3. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Its to tall... its the wrong color... too many tires... It has no eng... No floor...

J/K Looks like a great time with your dad!

4. Your off too a great start with excellent company it's a win win , keep the updates coming !

5. onedge

onedge

Looks like a good start, with a waiting front axle too!

6. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

;) I am sure glad you and your Dad are having a great time! It looks like your making great progress on the
    "BIG 1":p I see you have found a good use for those
    Rotors & spindles .That's great Say HI to your Dad for
    me It looks like him & I ran in the same crowd back in
    the day........Oh damn .......It is the day we are still here HAHAHAH! Ol Deuce

7. Lookin good! I'll be watching your progress. Good luck!

8. Thanks everyone... this has been the best last couples days EVER.

Got to get back to the shop..more pics later

Ol Duece,

I completely forgot!!!! While I was chasing doors, parts, details for 6 years this project and then running aroung town picking up steel, tools....... this ALL started with you

Thanks again for deal on the cab and the spindles are going to work out great, sometime things just come together.

9. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

That front axle looks pretty good! That truck is going to be slammed in the front!

10. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

tell your mom not to worry, if he gets in too much trouble, i'm sure there are more than a few hambers who will chip in bail money.

11. Scott,,it looks like you and your dad are off to a great start..keep us updated.:)HRP

12. Ditto on that! My dad used to help me rather begrudgingly (when I needed an extra pair of hands for something) back when I was a kid. I think these family-based builds are the best (or so says the guy who's just started a low-buck build with his grandson). :D

Look forward to seeing your progress.

13. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Kool. Looks like there are lots of other kool projects around there too.

14. My dad and I got a decent start to the day, it picked up speed by noon and with the help of some great friends the truck made it onto its wheels today. We ended up bobbing about 3' off the end of the frame. The rails are straight from the rear of the cab all the way back, simple plans call for fabbing up a set side mount leaf hangers, notch the frame for rear end clearance, box the rail at the notch, etc...

I think the last few days of thrashing have physically caught up to both my dad and I, tomorrows plan is to set the Y-block/th350 in place and start scratching our heads on the engine/trans mounts.

Check out the snaps for the box side panels and the tonneau.... yeah I know your jealous. I was told the inset panels and tonneau were white vinyl diamond tuck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  15. Good stuff! Keep it coming.

16. Very cool. Take more pics and keep'em coming.

17. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

The "Big 1" is going to be good riding
    truck! that big chassis will make all the
    difference in the ride:D

18. lorodz

lorodz

great progress

19. davis574ord

davis574ord

that is soo cool i wish my son would build my truck with me, but he is 18 and fuckin knows everything and we knock heads together after an hour in my shop together i hope he wakes up and realizes he doesnt know shit, and helps me build this thing cus i want to pass along my skills to him cus i never had a dad to help me maybe one day he will wake up and realize b that he doesnt know shit and we can work together1

20. Hi, I've got a grandson the same age and he's fast learning how little he really knows. I'm cutting him a lot of slack (easy when you're Grandpa), letting the kid make a few decisions and teasing the heck out of him when he's being unrealistic. :rolleyes:

davis574ord, you'll love this: Last weekend we were discussing whether we fit a header system on our Ford (UK) Sierra longroof project or run a split exhaust and dual pipes. He wanted the header as it will give the ol' Pinto engine some more HP, and then admitted that he didn't really know what headers were! :eek:

Getting back on-topic, you guys have made a heck of a lot of progress. I'm impressed! :cool:

21. My kid is my right hand in the shop. This thread makes me wish my dad spent more time in the shop with me.

22. tired and a big dumb grin

LISTEN UP - I'm not a sappy kind of guy, time off work is hard to get, money is always tight, etc.... this is by far the BEST time I've ever spent with my father.

I looked over at him yesterday as we rolled on home from the shop, he was staring out the window of my beater chev truck rolling down the highway with a big dumb grin on his face.

23. Racrdad

Racrdad

Too Cool...... you and your dad building together. Nice!! The truck is cool too!

24. You got your priorities right, bro!

25. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Scott, You have something real s[ecial going with your dad. Not all of us had or could ever of had such a relationship. Enjoy it as you build the "Big One !". It is going to be one fine father and son Hot Rod !

26. and fenders nonetheless...you and your pep-pep have geat taste!

27. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

Great job and it looks like you are getting some good progress done on it. I agree that it is awesome that you and your dad are building this together. Keep up the pace and keep us informed on how it goes. Thanks for sharing.

SpeedAddict001

28. damn your kicking ass on that... is it gunna be done by august ;)

29. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Scott; You guys are really kickin' ass on that truck!! Looks really good so far. I may stop by tomorrow, to get an "up close, and personal" look. See ya then!!:D

30. A few updated pictures. A bunch more to sort out, Y-block is too long to run the stock firewall, (big surprise) change out the firewall with a flat flushmount repop and I think we will be able to locate the cab 2-3" back from the original mount holes. The finished truck is owned by a good friend and will hopefully be the "after", after another 200+ hours...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]