Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine test stand????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Chev, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

I want to build a test stand to test run engines, anyone got a cool homemade test stand they could post a picture (or several pictures) of to give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

2. river1

river1

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had stands similar in design to what River1 showed in the link made for the training engines I had in the high school autoshop I taught in. Basically a rectangular frame with legs and casters with a radiator and a gauge panel. They weren't fancy but they did allow the kids to be able to easily reach and work on the engines when we were using them for class work. And they all rolled over out of the way when they needed to be out of the way.

4. 553964spd

553964spd
    from bristol tn

Do a search on this and you should find a few other post on this.I posted this pic on another thread a while back but here it is again.Had most of this lying around.Might have $30 out of my pocket at this point.Found one on the web I liked and basicaly copied it.Still need a fuel cell and aluminum radiator.Also need to build a sealed box for the battery as the fuel cell will be mounted above the battery.Did not want to mount the battery above the fuel cell just in case you got some kind of arc off the battery and the fumes from the fuel cell (being mounted below the battery )could cause an explosion.Can't wait to fire my first engine up on it ,and take care of all those gremlins before it goes in the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

hi Jim
    good idea, much easier to work out bugs when it's not in the car
    'don't need much more than a place for the gas and battery
    and a couple gauges and switches

here's an old clip of mine
    small boat tank, shelf for battery, oil pressure and water temp gauges, ignition switch, toggles for electric fuel pump and fan, radiator and electric fan

alanp561 likes this.
  6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Old irrigation engine stands work well also. they already have the gauge panel Just mount a radiator. Lippy

7. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Here's mine:

Attached Files:

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Here's a good one. :D

1 on geralds 31 chevy chassiss.jpg

9. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

here is the one I built.

Attached Files:

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

11. Drewski

Drewski

I currently have one under construction that I have mounted on a small trailer. Some of my friends had wanted to test run their engines and I wanted to be able to take the engine stand to them rather than have them bring the engine to my shop. Of course I had to dress up the trailer a bit. Might look good behind my 55 F100.

[​IMG]

I still have to build the gauge and control panel and locate the battery box and small fuel tank. I also built a cradle with casters that will allow me to remove it from the trailer and drop it on the cradle so that it can be rolled around in the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drewski

12. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Good stuff guys! Thanks for all the replies!!

13. indyjps

indyjps

Ive built 2, they always seem to get in the way after the engine is broken in. I used to build sbc claimer stock car type engines and it was very handy to set valves break in the cam etc. stock car guys dont give a shit about parts and will wipe a cam flat on you.
    running the same engine makes things simple, radiator out of a donor car and a shop type fan will let you run for a while, electric water pump is nice, wiring takes time. always seemed like the engine stand got robbed of parts for a car build so each time you went to use it it was like starting over. depends on if you want to run accessories or not. I mounted an alternator on the frame of the stand since the engines I was testing did not include accessories. Battery was always remotely located with long leads, gas was run by old holley blue pump with an old regulator, remotely mounted in the other direction. I had to supply the carb to break them in so a 600 holley was always on the shelf. had to have a decent HEI around that I knew worked. parts to make it work took up a lot of room. real pain in the ass.
    Oh yeah they are always in the way.

14. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

My brother has this one he made that we have used for years, not alot of cost involved.
    Set the battery and tank off and it stands up in a corner out of the way.

Attached Files:

15. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Buy an old sprint car frame, it would have all of the mounts that you need, just ad a battery.

16. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

These are what i use to test carb and ignition stuff on. The V8 does the four and two g carbs and the six is for strombergs and one barrells.
    I use a flow meter on the multiple carbs to make up a matched set etc.
    Both are used quite a bit.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. soder33

soder33
    from Wisconsin

One I made for my flaheads

[​IMG]

18. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

There are some great ideas here, thanks for sharing.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Very interesting........ o_O:)
    Bump!.....

20. Joe H

Joe H

For Pontiac engines, three A/C condenser fans, electric fuel pump. Nothing to fancy, but sure makes it easy to break in engines. I also have a water mister I place in the radiator air stream to make sure the engines stay cool. I run four mufflers usually on headers, I want to hear the engine, not the exhaust!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.