Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default 1957... Fuel Injection!

I've often wondered what percentage of '57 Chevrolet Ram-Jet units ended up on a garage shelf somewhere after being replaced by a couple of carbs. Fuel Injection on production street cars was a fairly impressive risk by GM. Even so, their first attem...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
Pir8Darryl
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: 1957... Fuel Injection!

GM's entry into mechanical F.I. in '57 was impressive for the time.
Even more impressive [IMHO] was Mopar's electronic F.I. of '58... Fitted on a hemi no less!
Has a 4 year shelf life
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
KUZTOM

http://www.57classicchevy.com/1957-c...injection.html

some good info here .........

"YEAH RIGHT"
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8Darryl View Post
GM's entry into mechanical F.I. in '57 was impressive for the time.
Even more impressive [IMHO] was Mopar's electronic F.I. of '58... Fitted on a hemi no less!
I know a guy here in Berk. who has a car he claims is one of those hemis but is missing the fuel injection. He told me they mostly didn't work either and most people took them off before too long and are now obviously extremely hard to find. I have seen his car and he drives it around but haven't looked at or into it close enough to verify any of that.

edit: here is some info I found. Only 35 units total and about $640 extra each at the time and apparently only 10hp extra gain. Not a lot of bang for the buck. No wonder only 35 'brave' souls tried them out. Must have been painful to decide to pull them off and stick the carbs on after that.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/electrojector.html

Last edited by stude_trucks; 04-29-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
Jimmy B
Old School HAMBer

I always liked the look of the Chevy FI setup
Pontiac offered a FI setup on the '57 Bonneville rated at 310hp, only cost an extra $500.

Hot Rods of the Dry Lakes Era

jimmy
online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
Pir8Darryl
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude_trucks View Post
Only 35 units total and about $640 extra each at the time and apparently only 10hp extra gain. Not a lot of bang for the buck. No wonder only 35 'brave' souls tried them out. Must have been painful to decide to pull them off and stick the carbs on after that.
Not about the bang for the buck, but instead about the tremendous technological leap the electrojector was.

Seriously tho, this thread is about the GM Bendix unit... Not really fair to try and hijack the thread.

If Ryan is interested in doing a writeup on the Mopar unit, he is more than welcome to contact me.
Has a 4 year shelf life
Old 04-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #7
BrerHair
Old School HAMBer

You are a treasure hunter extraordinnaire, Ryan. Beautiful. Back when Detroit was leading, not following.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Truckedup
Old School HAMBer

During the video with the "flight engineer" in the car,it was mentioned that shutting off the fuel while coasting can reduce SMOG.Perhaps GM was seeing something coming in the future.But Chevy dropped FI after about 7-8 years just when pollution controls came out,probably not enough demand to justify more engineering costs? The other FI systems offered on US cars were a flash in time in comparison

Last edited by Truckedup; 04-29-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
31modelo

Father in law had a vette with it and traded it for a dual fours. This man bleeds chevy orange but has no nice words for the early FI. He only wishes he kept to sell now.

Truckedup GM used that same idea in building their 05 Silverado 1500. The engine turns off when coming to a stop. Runs off the batteries until you press the gas pedal. New truck old idea

WANTED Weiand valve covers for Nailhead
Old 04-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
daddy_o's_diner
Alliance Member

I agree it was a big step for GM to take. I love to see these FI cars at shows and always give them a good once over.

An old-timer in our area has an orginal '57 fuelie that he bought new. I have heard him do nothing but complain about how much of a pain in the ass the unit is. He has had it serviced/rebuilt/tuned (big $$$'s) by the "experts" and can't keep it running right for very long. Last summer he finally swapped out the unit for 2 4's. Of course he is going to make sure the FI and the car are never separated.
He said, I gettin too old and just want to drive it. Said he didn't have the time and didn't enjoy tinkering with it all the time just to keep it running. I first thought he was nuts for taking it off - but who am I to ague with the original owner of one of these gems?????

Bonneville inspired '32 ford 5-Window

Build thread
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=727871
Old 04-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Truckedup
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Truckedup GM used that same idea in building their 05 Silverado 1500. The engine turns off when coming to a stop. Runs off the batteries until you press the gas pedal. New truck old idea
Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

I've often wondered what percentage of '57 Chevrolet Ram-Jet units ended up on a garage shelf somewhere after being replaced by a couple of carbs. Fuel Injection on production street cars was a fairly impressive risk by GM. Even so, their first attem...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
As I recall the general consensus when I was a kid was that they were junk. Who would have ever thought that they would be bringing the money that they do today. Perhaps you fellas that still have a functional corss fire set-up should be gaurding it for the future "Traditional Rodders"

The Ol' Man said the only problem was getting them dialed in correctly, from the factory there were a few mods that needed to be done before they were actually close to being up to par. They actually worked well if you were able to keep 'em tuned. One thing that they were not was a Hillborn unit. And it was easier to make zot with 2-4s.

Easy to tune makes all the difference in the world when you would much rather spend Saturday cruisin.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
tommy
Old School HAMBer

One of my buddies built a channeled Deuce roadster with the 57 GM injection. There was one guy in our area that knew anything about them in the early 60s. You bought a unit and took it to him to go through. He did not have a bunch of problems that I was a aware of. They were pretty cheap back then because of their problems and the Corvette restoration world had not taken off yet. He later built a 34 4dr and started with a 63 unit but eventually went with a 4 bbl.

Did you notice that the prototype had a dash mounted rear view mirror?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
wayne567
FNG

I might put one of those FI badges on the side of my 57 when i fit the 502 Ramjet into it,

Wayne.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

In the late 50's My stepfather's boss's son had a 57 Fi Hardtop that he had pulled the fi unit off and stuck on the shelf in his dads shop. The same reason as most gave in that it was too temperamental at the time and he couldn't find anyone who could sort it out. This was on Bainbridge Island, Wa in about 1958. I was a highly impressed 6th grader when I got to see the car and the FI unit.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
aaggie
Alliance Member

I ran an early Fuelie unit on my '57 back in the 60's. It was a 283 bored out to 301 with a 30-30 solid lifter cam and long tube headers. It ran very strong and the only problem I had was when it rained and you turned on the wipers the manifold vacuum dropped and the unit sensed it as full throttle and went full rich, even at idle. The factory equipped cars had seperate vacuum pumps to get around the problem.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
belair
Old School HAMBer

Really great stuff-thank you for posting. A lot of marketing work there to somehow get the customer to equate F.I. with jets and the next big thing. And t he mirrorp on the dash was either an early offering that was changed for visibility or vibration issues, and may (for some reason this sticks in my head) have only been offered on the four door hardtops, although that make no sense. And that model is a litte scary looking.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Automotive Stud
Old School HAMBer

My dad had a '62 fullie vette in the mid 60's. He had GM rebuild the injection 3 times and it still didn't run good. He finally bought a new corvette intake and carb right from GM and it ran great. He sold the injection with the car.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
the-rodster
Old School HAMBer

I always assumed it was throttle body, but it looks like it was port injection.

Rich
Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
eviltex
FNG

i didnt realize 57 was the first year gm did this, i saw a 57 convertable with fuel injection sitting in some guys yard of cars, top down crappy tarp over it rusting away.... doesnt that drive you crazy when you know they have it like that just because they are " gonna fix it up one day."....