Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blackhawk floor jack - Antique

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Talltexan!, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Talltexan!

Talltexan!
    from Texas

I am new to HAMB and was led here by a search for info on my Blackhawk 4 ton rolling floor jack, that I would like to repair and use. I found an older thread, but was hoping to gain the latest info on what others have discovered about attempts to restore them. Mine is the S4 model, and is largely complete except for the lens on the headlight. Mine does not work, so will need the hydraulic cylinder overhauled. I was wondering if others now knew what was the best source for parts for these antique jacks. Did anyone ever determine what the key hole at the very tip of the handle was for. Anyone ever figure out how the headlight was powered or turned on and off? A con man duped me years ago on this jack, claiming to overhaul it. I tested it when he delivered it and it worked well. An older cousin explained to me how he had simply replaced the hydraulic fluid with brake fluid, which swells the seals for a temporary fix. I was so mad at getting taken I shoved the jack into storage for the past 7 years! Would now love to do something with it, since it is already a very expensive jack, based on my foolish mistake!! Some of life's lessons are very expensive! Ha

2. Master of None

Master of None

I'd check www.garagejournal.com some real knowledgeable guy's that know their stuff see if you can find something there.

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I would like to know too!I also have a Blackhawk jack which came out of my friends uncles garage which closed in the 70's.

4. toy_boy

toy_boy

The light is powered by a switch that is on the side of the "T" handle. The key at the top of the knob was used to lock the jack in position so that it could not be tampered with once set in place with the car up in the air and the user under the vehicle.

Here is a pic of one (S4) that I came across online that's been totally refurbished. If you look closely you can see the little nipple of a switch for the light.

Below are pics of the one I own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. river1

river1

i will second the garage journal advice. look over there for a guy named hiball, he's the jack man.

later jim

6. 8flat

8flat

Great thread, I recently acquired my great-grandfather's old Blackhawk jack, it looks similar to these but with no light option. Right now it's at a hydraulic repair shop to see if they can get it working...

7. jazz1

jazz1

9C62FE72-402D-47E7-A455-777E509A37A2.jpeg 784A49E0-7055-47C7-99EC-F6E06B5D7EE2.jpeg Old thread but kits are available for Blackhawk jacks.
    I have a S14, works but has clap