Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seats Made From Shopping Carts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Abomination

Abomination

Not sure if many of you are familiar with the social groups here on the HAMB, but I've recently come across The Little Pages Tech Archive:

The Little Pages Tech Archive
    Group Maintained by White Brothers
    This is a collection of technical articles from the pages of R&C, Rodding & Restyling, Car Craft, Customs Illustrated and all the rest. This is THE place to find vintage tech about how it was done back in the Glory Days of hot rodding and customizing. This group is designed to be a reference point on any useful bit of info relating to your build so things can be done the right way and not a hack-job. It is info from the "Masters" themselves. As far as we're concerned, it is gospel. Let's keep this pre '65 unless it is incredibly useful tech. More tech will be added regularly.

You may want to click here and join up: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=289

I found the following there, and thought you folks might be interested! Good job, White Brothers for putting this out there for us to enjoy!

~Jason

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 61TBird

61TBird

3. N8B

N8B

Dave you were much nicer in person....LOL
    Cool little tech though.

4. 61TBird

61TBird

I added the "smilies"...:D:D:D

5. Wow, I haven't updated things in a while. My photobucket was filling quickly. I had some stuff ready to post but the computer was down for a good three months. I kinda hoped it would take off and have people add their stash but I just guessed not too many folks were into it so I let it coast a while before I had some free time. To all that follow, I will try to have some more up soon. Thanks for all who participate and all are welcome.

Thanks,
    Brian

P.S.: PLEASE POST YOUR VINTAGE TECH!!! Show the world what WAS done!

6. N8B

N8B

Joining today....

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Joined. Let me know if there is something you need added, I have pretty much every small pages there was.

8. screwball

screwball

I went through my little pages last week a decided to do a count. 459 Not including doubles.

9. Geez. OK. Kirk and screwball, that sounds massive. I say post away on anything and everything. For a starting point, I would suggest stuff that the average builder can accomplish i.e. avoid anything that has a full step that involves the words "any machine shop can do this relativly cheap" because today they (A) won't or (B) it isn't cheap. Not saying that stuff shouldn't be posted but if we could add a dollar sign in parentheses ($$$) prefix or suffix so if someone is cash strapped they can knowingly avoid. Other than that, I say anything useful pre-67 or 68 should be safe and on topic!

Fire away.

10. N8B

N8B

Kirk,
    Hustler had a "little page" back in 69. Can you help with that? :eek:

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Unfortunately, no.

12. Abomination

Abomination

Indeed I have, however the purpose of this thread was more to catch people's eye and send them to the White Brothers social group - you know, to kind of open the door on all the good stuff that's posted in there.

I figure some folks don't even know about the social groups, and I'd kind of show them what was out there.

Besides, the Little Pages one has potential. I liked it.

And so yeah, I could've used the search, but this was more of a "Hey, look at that, there's more here" kind of thread, so more folks might check it out. :D

~Jason

13. k-member

k-member

My uncle had some shopping cart seats in his T back in the 60's. He used the frames just like that and laced them with metallic vinyl like the patio furniture.

14. That would be cool to see. I wonder if something like that would survive to make it to a swap meet nowadays or if someone would just scrap 'em thinking no one would care.:(

Big thanks going out to Abomination for trying to draw attention to the group. For those that may be skeptic of the content, there is anything from U-Fab intakes, Home-made Swing Pedals, Widening Rims, heck even repairing a cracked block. Most of the stuff all you need to know how to do is weld, and that is as easy as picking up the torch (with a little skill and tons of practice;)).

15. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I remember reading that article when it originally came out.

16. snelson57

snelson57

I wonder how many shopping carts were stolen in Dec 1957...

17. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

This could be a trend!

18. Abomination

Abomination

Anytime, man. :)

~Jason

19. Just joined the group.Neat article.

20. What would we do without the thread search police????

21. I read the article when it came out,. Think I was 14 or so. They don.t make shopping carts that way anymore.

22. thanks for bringing this up again, I kinda forgot about this one, I think if you need a seat, this is a good opportunity, go and have fun with it and ignore the rest of the na sayers.

23. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

If anybody needs shopping carts Pm me .I live near Acme......

24. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

A true gearhead will use anything available to build what he needs! Oh yea!!!!!

25. Look at all the stolen trollies..

26. Abomination

Abomination

Flipping through old threads, and thought this was fun, so BTTT!

~Jason

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure I still have that magazine in my stash and the shopping carts that they used for the seats were somewhat obsolete then and were were available for that reason. The carts they used were early 50's carts.