Register now to get rid of these ads!

INPUT: Who Has ACTUALLY USED Speedway's 9 Super 7 CARBS????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Apr 15, 2010.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm not looking to start another bitch about Speedway thread. I'm looking for people who have ACTUALLY RUN the Speedway carbs. The price is right and I have heard plenty of bad stuff about the English Strombergs from customers and dealers alike, but nothing from users of the 9 Super 7s.

I have access to plenty of original 97s, but I have always had the usual problems with them, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I searched and all I found were bitch-fests from people who never actually used these carbs.

Thanks in advance for the constructive input.

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

4. [​IMG]

I used the English 97's & they were EXCELLENT!

I'd have rebuilt originals before I bolted on Chinese-made crap from Speedway..... regardless of how many ads they had bought in the Gazette. ;)

JH

5. I have not used them personally BUT I did talk to a guy at the Hot Rod and Restoration Trade Show in Indy who was running them. He was inquiring about one of our ignition products and mentioned he had them as he was describing the motor set up. He had NOTHING but good things to say about them. Had no problems what so ever (two on a Flat motor) and was very happy with them. One could say "Giddy"

6. Damn dude, ouch :eek:

7. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Dude don't run those... nothing but bad stories.. Spend the extra 100.00 and get the real
    strombergs.. you wont regret it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

edelbrock has new 94's too that seem to rule..too

9. I'll bet you laughed though. :D

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

Nothing to do with ads, everything to do with my wallet, but I get the point.:D I've actually used Speedway stuff for the last 15+ years with little or no problems with their stuff.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

It would be an extra $200 for the pair. I'll check out the Edelbrock entries.

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Please post some of the "bad stories".

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Like I said, I want to hear from people who have actually used them, good or bad.

14. Nice new avatar. Are you gonna have buttons for our gatsby hats made up? If so I want one! Good luck with the carb search.

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

You're like the tenth person to ask.

16. Can I get mine with a GG logo also?

17. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not worried how they'll run straight out of the box... I'm worried how they'll hold up in 5 or 10 years... we already know that "real deal" strombergs have stood the test of time. Speedy Bill is old, but he might just outlive his "97"'s.

18. KIRK! ... I have no personal experience with them ... but I have read numerous accounts on a certain Public Internet forum for "Traditional Hot Rods & Customs" that folks know somebody that knows somebody that runs them and just loves 'em! :rolleyes: :D ... all kiddin' aside, I believe HAMBers strombergs97 & continentaljohn have had a positive personal experience with them.

19. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

I know a guy who talked to a guy at a car show, and he said he heard from a message board that you are a big jerk. He said that his pal heard you mention that you hate me.

So, I say go for 'em!

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

All true!

21. Jason Smith (speedy's son) told me they work great ;)

22. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

Man, you are a big, mean jerk...

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

Also all true! :D

You know how I know? I read it on the Interwebs.

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

25. Kramer

Kramer

Stolen from Kirk!'s link above: "There seemed to be a great deal of speculation about Speedway’s newest release, but mostly by people who had never actually tested one or even bolted one to an engine and fired it up."

Sounds like they were talking to some HAMBers from this thread.:D

26. carbking

carbking

Kirk, I have not used either of the clone Stromberg 97's, so will throw neither rocks nor roses.

However, the question I would ask is why there is even a need for either of these?

Real Stromberg 97's (actually, the 14 DIFFERENT variations of the Stromberg EE-1 that Stromberg sold to Ford) were built from 1935 to 1938. Stromberg continued to produce a replacement for the 97 up through the 1950's. There are still thousands of these units available. And there are jillions of parts still being produced in the USA today for these carburetors.

The real Stromberg 97's only had one issue. Stromberg used only 5 screws on the EE-1 series carburetor to hold the airhorn to the bowl; and they warp. Did either of the clones address this issue???

This is not a significant problem. Simply build a jig, and use heat and pressure to straighten the castings. Yes, you will have to redo the castings about every 10 years. And who used the better zinc alloy metal - Stromberg or the Chinese???

We have been rebuilding these things for almost 50 years; and I know of others that frequent these forums that have been doing the same thing. Will the Chinese castings last that long? These carbs are not rocket science; and part of the fun of rodding is doing the work yourself, and learning from the experience. No reason you cannot find a few cores, and with a little work; do your own.

Anyway, my 5 cents (2 cents adjusted for inflation).

Jon.

27. Kirk, you know I'm just messing with you.

You're smart enough to research & make the right decision & your builds always reflect that.

Still, I find the thought of English-built parts easier to stomach than Chinese parts.

JH

28. 31modelo

31modelo

I have a friend using the Speedy Bill 97 and says they work great. So if you want to stimulate the Chinese economy.......

29. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Guys-------I tried for 2 days to get 2 of the Speedway carbs to even start on a pals AV8.I am not bad mouthing anyone, just telling the truth.I have been messin' with Stromberg's for more than a week and could not get them right.I finally gave up,freshened up 2 originals, set them up for the engine combo and it ran great through all ranges with no problems whatsoever. Did he get 2 bad one's? I don't know. Everyone needs to go by their own experience I guess.I have used the English ones with very few problems ( jetting and power valve changes which is normal ) I am not a fan of Clive Prew but I do think he has them pretty close with the help of Max ( or is that Mike ? ) LOL

30. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Personally, I think everytime this subject comes up it draws out a bunch of people who really really want to buy the Speedway knock-offs and are really really looking for someone to tell them they're the shit so that can save a few bucks...

I base this on the fact that every time it comes up the call is for "SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY USED THEM!!!!" when there have been a number of people who have posted their ACTUAL experiences with them including Ryan himself...

So I think from now on, people asking for info about them should just cut out the middle man, stop wasting everyone's time, and pony up the cash... Then they can share THEIR first hand experiences with us. :cool: