Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Jimmy Summers 40 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Android314, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Android314

Android314

I am helping the technology challenged current owner of the Jimmy Summers 40 Merc with research. Dick Page has had the car for a number of years, and I have been around it for at least ten or more years. Dick is really old school, he thinks the ballpoint pen is only way to communicate. Hence I appear before the humble masses. We are looking for info on the Summers family, and any photos of the engine bay, and interior. We have some, but when the reconstruction starts, it is good to have all the info we can obtain. The car is in great shape, still has the original top,(needs re-furbishing), the bumpers, the grill, the dash, steering wheel, and seat frames. The seat material was removed some years ago, and is sitting the corner for patterns. I am retiring in a couple of months, and hope to get the project started with Dick's guidance. It will be restored to the first, ORIGINAL style, with the RUBY MAROON paint, and the 40 Ford Headlight Bezels, the rear license plate will me moved back to the rear bumper. Lots to do! Looking for more pictures to get it right.....

2. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

No info, but a question... Wasn't the car originally metallic green?

3. Does anyone have a picture of what this car looked like in it's hey day. Just curious. Thank you !

4. Rikster

Rikster

No... the car was originally a very deep maroon. And was repainted metallic green after Jimmy's former wife had made clear she did not care much for the maroon.

All the photos I have found of this wonderful custom are in Jimmy Summers 1940 Mercury folder on my site... click the photo below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010

5. Rikster

Rikster

Maroon
    [​IMG]

Metallic green
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

7. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Hi rik! you beat me ha ha!!

8. Rikster

Rikster

Wow this is the best custom car news I have heard in a while.... Fantastic news.

Please.... please keep us posted on the progress of the return of this FANTASTIC and timeless custom ICON.

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great!!

10. OLLIN

OLLIN

anyone know what was used to make the grill? or was it all hand made?

great news about it being restored btw!

11. 53chevy

53chevy

Awesome!!! I did ask questions about Jimmy Summers here on the HAMB. There was a guy that knew the son (or something) and mentioned he would try to get pics and info. But, nothing never came about. If I could go back in time, Jimmy Summers would be the one person I would like to have meet. I know for a fact that he did hang out with Doane Spencer and they would travel in their cars. Can't wait to see this Custom finished. But, I'm biased with the second version.

Ken

12. Rikster

Rikster

According to the Rodder's Journal article they did about Donn Lowe visiting Dick Page several years ago: Jimmy SUmmers hand made it out of flat stock. And it is still in excellent shape, only needing to be replating.

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Please tell us that it will be refinished in the correct lacquer finish, and not some overcleared cheesey urethane street rod finish?!

Wow, it's a toss up between Summers and Westergard as to who lit the fuse on tasteful kustoms in the 40's! By 1955 it had all gone so wrong.

Good luck with the build,

" Do Not Reach Greedily For The Kool-Aid "

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Amazing!!! That is aswome! I can't wait to see more!

15. banditomerc

banditomerc

How about posting some pics in its current condition?

16. JKerb

JKerb

x2 for the pics.

17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Yes PLEASE!!!

18. Thank you Rikster !!!!

19. rodncustom

rodncustom

Very cool. I can't wait to see the progress.

20. Rikster

Rikster

This is how it looked a few years ago in the Rodder's Journal article... don't think it has changed much since then... perhaps a bit more dust!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Me too! This is one of the great customs.

22. AWESOME NEWS! I love them 40 Mercs. Please post pics of rebuild. THANKS. cw.

23. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Man I cant wait to this one restored!

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

40 Ford Deluxe chrome-plated headlamp doors are stock for 40 Mercurys as well.

25. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Maroon or Green, no matter. Still one of my all time favorites. (The others being Dick Ford's roadster, and the Bertolucci/Ohanesian Mercury.) Thanks for the info, Rik.

I used to have quality b&w photos of the interior, all lost in a fire. The interior was hand-tooled leather (by Summer's mother, I believe). I've never seen any real good photos since I lost mine.

26. Rikster

Rikster

hmmm that sound just like the Ray Vega interior.... are you sure the Summers interior was hand tooled as well?

Below is a Hop Up magazine scan with the Ray Vega 1938 Ford interior... hand tooled by Ray's mother.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  27. Great news! I'll be watching this for sure.

-Shiny

28. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Great news, nice to see an Icon brought back to life, please keep us posted on progress.

29. Android314

Android314

Thanks to all for your interest. I spoke with Dick for a long time after this was posted, and he is overwhelmed by the response. He DOES have the formula for the lacquer paint, he also has the flipper caps. Dick said the car was never damaged in a wreck, it did get a little massaged, when Jimmy, and Doane Spencer drove the car down the steps at the stae capitol in Sacramento! Jimmys wife didn't like the collor so she keyed the car to get him to paint it a different color! (wow!, some attitude there) In Rik's image of the grill being held into place, that was myself holding it for the picture. The body work on this car is beautiful, Jimmy was a master craftsman. Dick Page is no slouch either, he has an extensive history in the NW creating some outstanding customs and rods. He has so much knowledge, and history in his head. I am honored to have him as my friend. He IS the RIGHT GUY for this project, he understands to significance of this car, and has spent a great amount of time saving this car. Thank you too all once again....Rikster you are the man!...Android.

30. Android314

Android314

Dick also pointed out he is not all technologically challenged, he does have a cell phone, he does not require a ball point pen, he now needs a sharpie! to see whats being written. (ha ha)