Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #41
curbspeed
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Progress on the Treit and Davenport liner

I've met Marlo Treat a few times at the Portland Swapmeet. To say he is a character is an understatement. I find him hilarious in a warped kinda way. Where is his tophat in these photos? I will be at Bonneville when this monster rolls. When is the expected debut?
www.facebook.com/Model40Fan-tasticPage
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #42
ironpile

I was at this shop a year ago,fabulous craftsmanship. Hope for success.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #43
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

The Friday Target 550 update is here. This week's stuff (shot by Freud with his brand-new Nikon D700) shows air lines routed through the liner for various purposes. I love the red, white and blue color-coding for 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear in the air-shifted transmission. Nice touch. There are also a coupla kool shots o...f the liner from the front and rear. While the skins are off, it still gives a very good idea of the immensity of the thing and some indication of just what a massive project this is.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/65_...ait/index.html
Web elf: www.target550.com
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #44
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

Target 550 mid-week surprise: Look what we found! Doc Freud opened up a drawer and found a buncha unused images. No captions, use your own imagination and prior knowledge of the project. Kinda like a pop quiz...but with no right or wrong answers.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/66_...und/index.html
Old 10-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #45
RidgeRunner

Neat stuff, lot of brain food to keep me going 'till the next batch.

Thanks for posting.

Ed
Old 10-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #46
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

Well, here's the next batch. This is what I put on FaceBook:
It's Friday...albeit a rather early one. Since I prepared the Target 550 release last night, its ready to go. Matter of fact, it's on the server now. This is the description used on the index page:
"Hume altered the pneumatic mag switches, Jason is bending stainless steel lines and Dave wired the starter switches." My favorite part of it is the stainless lines and seeing the way Jason Hosking works with the metal to turn out some absolutely beautiful pieces. Seeing the air supply tubes being fabricated and fit is like watching jewelry being created. Ya gotta check it out.
http://www.target550.com/gallery/67_...hes/index.html

Glad yer enjoyin, RidgeRunner
Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #47
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

For those following Target 550, many of ya missed the early weekly update. I posted it yesterday morning but didn't announce it here. So shoot me. Anyway, there are some continuing stories (in picture form) of the air lines to control the transmission's shift mechanisms and other stuff, a bit of the fuel injector butterfly mechanism...but the real kool part is what Dave Jeffers has done to help keep salt from escaping the front wheel enclosures.

The whole reason for the enclosures is to prevent salt from being kicked up by the tires and getting into the car. But there has to be some way for the steering mechanism to pass through them to control the direction of the wheels. Dave came up with a very clever gasket arrangement that seals things off to prevent any contamination getting thru the holes for the tie rods and pitman arm. This is starting to verge on rocket science and air locks and stuff. Check it out. It's pretty kool.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/68_...eal/index.html

@Curbspeed: There's no definite debut date yet. But there'll be plenty of notice when one is set. Right now it's getting to be one of those "the closer ya get, the more little details ya find that need to be taken care of" things...like the gaskets for the wheel enclosures. But if ya check the t-shirts everybody (including me) wears, it's a light at the end of the tunnel. And it ain't a freight train.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #48
-Brent-
Old School HAMBer

Thanks so much for the peek into what you're up to. The info and photos are great.

WANTED:
- 1933/34 Drive Shaft and Torque Tube
online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #49
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

You're very welcome, Brent. And just for the heck of it, here's more:

Target 550 midweek "extra" post.
http://www.target550.com/gallery/69_...end/index.html

Some front end stuff: one of the things that's been focused on recently is keeping salt out of places it doesn't belong. Those who've been there know that it can wreak havoc with just about everything it contacts. So the guys at the skunk works have come up with more clever ways to seal the hard-workin mechanical stuff from the corrosive white stuff.

Then there's been some work on the steering arms to eliminate any play out of their attaching points on the spindle/axle housings.

Finally, there's a shot of a high-level summit meeting between Hume and Marlo...probably discussing what to have for lunch. Or maybe the fact that the front end of the liner is coming very close to completion.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #50
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

This is a part of Doc Freud's description of the latest Target 550 post:

"Sometimes in life we run across someone or some project that has a profound impression on us. In this case the Granite Falls, Washington HS manufacturing class has done that .

The instructor, Michael Werner, has a way with his students that is exceptional. He has taken a group of boys and girls and has given them the skills and incentive to go way beyond our High School Shop class as we knew it.

Can you imagine a group of girls, in your class, that built a car, entered an event on a national level and accomplished 470 MPG with a single cylinder diesel engine? His ShopGirls have done it. "

There's no way I could have put it any better. Check this one out. It's a very special post.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/70_...bbq/index.html
Old 11-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #51
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

This is what Doc Freud had to say about the latest Target 550 post:
"Late night duty on the http://www.target550.com foto post. This post is related to the front drive hubs.

For a piece that was designed and produced by a big name company, there have been many necessary improvements. Well, whatever is needed will be done."

Check out the safety wiring and the wheel bearing tension adjustment...it's unreel.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/71_front_hub_assembly/
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #52
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

No Black Friday shopping for this old geezer. I'll leave that you those more capable (and foolhardy.) No, I was doing what every old coot otta be doing on the day after Thanksgiving. Munching on leftover turkey and falling asleep for a brief winter's nap. When I awoke, I said, "Holy sh*t! It's Friday! Get the Target 550 post on the website!" So I did.

Now. You'd think the liner was low and sleek enough, right? Nope. Fairings are being made for the wheel openings to help with aerodynamics and keep salt outta the wound...I mean wheel enclosures. What the skunk works guys have done is built aluminum patterns that will be reproduced in carbon fiber or fiberglass so that they can be replaced if they happen (heaven forbid) to be damaged during a run. This makes for an even sleeker, slipperier, cleaner underside.

Freud did a great job getting the photos for this post. I wonder if he got a nap while lying on his back shooting the underside. Smiley There's something that isn't mentioned in the writeup, so I'll blab it here (...and there...) One of the things that struck me was the aluminum piece that's intended to scrape any wayward salt from the surface of the tire. Sorta like an Alcoa mudflap...sorta.

Anyway, I think it'll kill the Jones for a bit and help the turkey digest:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/72_...ngs/index.html
Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #53
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

In spite of snow and ice and single-digit temps here and in the Great Northwest, your Target 550 reporting team came up with a mid-week surprise.

The update consists of several shots (photos by Freud) of the 1/10th scale streamliner that was used in wind tunnel testing at Western Washington University. The final version of the model is beautifully painted and lettered, including a 1/10th scale "Hume" logo, complete with grapes. It's "Viking 31," which is the liner's name...but most people don't know why it has that name. The Viking is the mascot of Western Washington, and the 31 represents the number of times it was tested in the wind tunnel. I think the phrase "extensive testing" could be applied here.

The model is beautiful, but when we see the full-sized car...well, just stay tuned.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/73_...del/index.html
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #54
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

Oops. I overused my "literary license" when writing the intro. The number 31 isn't the number of times it went thru the wind tunnel. It's actually the project number. The number of tests is closer to 10, but I don't know the exact number. Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #55
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Wow, that thing is purdy!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #56
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

Thanks, Tman!

While Freud and I were keeping our pipes from freezing, the guys at the Skunk Works were doing plumbing of their own...well...on the liner. Air lines, oil lines, fire suppression system lines...all sortsa stuff...even a coupla oil filters that I hear tell weren't exactly inexpensive...but they sure look kool. Nothin like yer basic Fram spin-on filter, that's for sure.

All of this is in an update called, "It's all plumbing." Check it out.
http://www.target550.com/gallery/74_...ing/index.html
Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #57
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

The jolly olde elves of the Target 550 reporting team have another mid-week post. This one goes back to 2006 when the liner was being transported from the Skunk Works to its home in Oregon to have its carrier fitted.

You can see what things looked like 4 years ago. The bogey wheels on it look really goofy, but they ...worked to get it into the trailer...one real big trailer.

Doc Freud busted his butt to get these done last nite. He's on his way to get fresh photos for this week's post today. He's one hard worker!

http://www.target550.com/gallery/75_...ome/index.html
Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #58
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

Here's the regularly scheduled update post for Target 550. (It's still Friday on the left coast.) It shows the air and fire suppression lines that have now been created, routed and installed.

Again: these are works of art...as is Freud's photography. Check out photos 3 & 5 just for the artistic composition of line, curve, shape and color. Just a little more abstract and Picasso could have created it.

Enjoy, it's bed time for me.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/76_...ing/index.html
Old 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #59
ChevyAsylum
Member Emeritus

Since we're doing a "jolly olde elf" thing this month with 2 updates per week, the mid-week one is now available.

It covers oil lines, some previously overlooked items and a new tilt on Dave Jeffers (with a visitor in the background.)

A couple of photos jumped out at me in this one. First, there's a shot of one of the oil lines that will run from the oil tank to the pumps. It's a real nice piece of metal, but the way it's mounted is outta site. Not yer basic line clamp, that's for sure.

Then there's a system for draining the oil tank without removing body panels for speed in turning the liner around for an FIA record return. Real trick.

Check it out.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/77_...tor/index.html
Old 12-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #60
Tman
Old School HAMBer

That car is like building a small city!