Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
bikeguydave
Grenade Inspector

Default Anybody have pictures of a 1951 ford 4 speed overdrive transmission?

I've got a 1951 Ford 4 speed attached to an 8RT, it has a seperate assembly attached to the passenger side and a seperate gear inside the trans. Anybody know if this is an overdrive or possibly a power take off?. I did a search..nothing, tried other sites too...nothing. none of my friends have any knowledge of this transmission. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry I have no pictures to help. Dave
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
cornfieldrodder

Default Re: Anybody have pictures of a 1951 ford 4 speed overdrive transmission?

I used to have one, it was in a '50, though. There was a 6 bolt PTO cover on the left side. The gear box had to be at least a foot tall. That's all I know about it, oh yeah, it was heavy.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
bikeguydave
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Anybody have pictures of a 1951 ford 4 speed overdrive transmission?

This is on the right side, Trans is too dirty to tell much about it, guess I could clean it and it may become evident whats going on
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Hnstray
Alliance Member

It's most likely a PTO. Especially if you are saying the transmission is a 4 speed and it is floor shift. An overdrive in that period is a 3 speed trans with an OD unit housed in the rear extension housing case...it does have a protruding unit on both side, one a governor and the other a solenoid, but it is side shift in that period.

As it happens, I do have pics of a 49' up Ford pass car OD trans, but being technologically challenged, I haven't figure out how to uploads pics to the HAMB site. PM me your e-mail address and I can forward them, if you want to see them.

Ray
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
bikeguydave
Grenade Inspector

Thanks Ray, It is a floor shift 4 speed and from what I found, you are correct, it is a PTO, no need to send pictures. Thanks for your insight and help. Dave