Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Racing Movie from San Francisco... 1906

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Yep, 104 year ago. Dig those crazy car maneuvers and daredevil pedestrians!

From the friend who sent this to me:

"The film is from a cable car traveling down Market Street in San Francisco, four days before the big earthquake/fire that destroyed the area. You can clearly see the clock tower at the end of the street at the Embarcadero Wharf that's still there... The quality & detail is great, so be sure to view it full screen."

"The film, was originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!). It was filmed only four days before the quake and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing but true!"

2. butch27

butch27

WOW! Thanks.

3. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

interesting.... now I know why we have cars, because horses just do whatever the hell they want.

4. Kinda related -- another friend sent me this link of street traffic views from London in 1927, one of the earliest examples of a color movie (made even before the first talkie). One of the things that is very striking is the lack of passenger cars; seems like there were more cars in 1906 San Francisco than in 1927 London. Lots of interesting buses and trucks tho.

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yup, that is my commute every morning.

The speed is easy to calc, as that car travels at 7.5mph

thanks!

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

Man that was super cool! Thank You.. I grew up in Niles,Ca.Was just at the Museum not too long ago.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Love it, but the music made me kill a kitten. Sorry about that.

8. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Sometimes it seems the traffic down Market St and the drivers in the City are not any better now.

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

AMEN!:eek:

10. Funny to see kids hanging from the ragtop running behind the car?

Cool film!

11. M.Edell

M.Edell

I was just showing my wife that part..Love it...:p

12. selohssa

selohssa

That is very cool. Thanks.