Register now to get rid of these ads!

***bailiegh tech article***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by finkd, Apr 4, 2010.

1. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Week Threads 4/2-4/16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Tech**** it has always been a problem to figure out how to do the glass when chopping a top, so I'm going to show how I do it. First I wax the windshield that came out of the car, any ol wax will do,but i use beatsem all.Then I use fiberglass and 2 layers of matt, just put it right on top of the waxed glass, work out all the air bubbles and try to get it as smooth as you can. overlap the glass by a couple inches. let it cure ( sometimes overnight). then take a sander , or air hacksaw and trim it too the size of the glass,sand edges smooth. then put the gasket on the chopped car, and trimm the fiberglass template to size, I like it a lil on the loose side, glass won't break if it has some room to move around. then trace the new size onto the glass to be cut and , there you have a nice template, for cutting your new glass. I know this isn't a metal working tech, but the answer to a question asked many times. and if working with a real curved glass this is much better then cardboard ,more accurate as it is rigid like the glass.
    Attached Thumbnails

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Here are the pics for my tech

Attached Files:

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Really simple way to work with something better than cardboard!

4. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

yes, because on a real curved windshield , like my 57 cadillac cardboard won't work. this just happens to be the one I was chopping right now.

5. bmxarmy

bmxarmy

Good idea! Now is your next tech how to cut that curved glass!......oh please say yes!

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Very Very cool!!! thanks Finkd!

7. fitzee

fitzee

I see myself using this idea.Thanks.

8. Kramer

Kramer

I would also be interested in learning how you cut the glass.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Water jet cutting will work.