Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
poboyross

Default Engine damage from running without exhaust system?

I'm finishing up installing a 283 in my 50 Chevy, and was recently told that I shouldn't be running the motor without exhaust pipes/muffler because it can cause damage to the engine. Is that true or just some BS? All I really need it to run for is to warm up enough to open up the thermostat and get the engine refilled with coolant, finish setting the points, and testing out the carb.

thx!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Mr. Mac

Default Re: Engine damage from running without exhaust system?

BS in my books.About the only thing that might hurt an engine is to run with no exhaust manifolds at all and then when the engine cooled it could warp the valves.My two cents.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
57JoeFoMoPar
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mac View Post
BS in my books.About the only thing that might hurt an engine is to run with no exhaust manifolds at all and then when the engine cooled it could warp the valves.My two cents.
This has been dealt with here many times. I'll echo what Mr. Mac said. However, personally, when firing a fresh motor, I'd much prefer to have a full exhaust system, especially with mufflers. The reason being you'll be able to hear the motor and anything audible that might hint to troubles during break in that the gauges aren't telling you.

"When life knocks you down from first class to coach, fart a whole lot and really stink up the place...that'll show 'em."
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
BudJ63

I was told back when, that the open exhaust ports (no manifold or headers) let cold air hit the valves when shut down, and could warp them as Mr Mac said. Whereas the heated pipes would keep the atmosphere warmer til the valves had a chance to cool down. If its got headers or manifolds but no exhaust system, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
HemiRambler
Old School HAMBer

I've heard many times about the possibility of warping the valves...if that's true then it puzzles me how they didn't warp when you STARTED the motor???
Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
1930roadster
Grenade Inspector

Oh i hate that tale... I'd bet the guy that started that owned an auto exhaust shop back in the 40s. I tried on Harleys and my old big block Chevy... open, on the street and in the cold, i tried real hard too
Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
johnnie

My only concern would be running it too lean.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
propwash
Alliance Member

fresh motor....as quiet an exhaust system as possible so you can hear the actual mechanical parts of the engine. After "sea trials" then you can break it back to just headers. There is some danger of valves that cool too quickly tending to warp - ask any A&P or even experienced pilot about coming down out of the higher altitudes too quickly if you doubt me. Headers are just a good idea from a scavenging designe standpoint...you don't really want a bunch of flames shooting out of your heads anyway...cops might let the noise slide - but you'll be scaring the dickens out of the uninitiated and pissin' off the tightasses.

dj
Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
mart3406
Old School HAMBer

Jeez???. When will this old wives tale die???? No, running with an open exhaust and/or straight pipes will not hurt your engine, cause your valves to burn, bring on the 'heartbreak of psoriasis' or do any of other numerous ridiculous 'bad things' that it supposedly causes. It likely won't make any more power or cause your car to run any better or faster than if it had a properly designed, 'muffler equipped 'exhaust system either, but that's another matter. The worst it will do is likely piss your neighbors off, gain you a few tickets for excessive noise and damage your hearing, but that's all!

Mart3406
============================

Last edited by mart3406; 03-23-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
zzford

Nope, it's crap. think about it...You have a big ol' hunk of iron that's real hot... air wafts into the port... which gets the temperture change fastest, the big ol' lump of iron or the air?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
poboyross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart3406 View Post
Jeez???. When will this old wives tale die???? No, running with an open exhaust and/or straight pipes will not hurt your engine, cause your valves to burn, bring on the 'heartbreak of psoriasis' or do any of other numerous ridiculous 'bad things' that it supposedly causes. It likely won't make any more power or cause your your car to run any better or faster than if it had a properly designed, 'muffler equipped 'exhaust system either, but that's another matter. The worst it will do is likely piss your neighbors off, gain you a few tickets for excessive noise and damage your hearing, but that's all!

Mart3406
LOL....well, at least I don't have to worry about the Psoriasis. It's not a "fresh" engine by any means. It's already been broken in for some years now, I just gave it a check up, replaced all the gaskets, and tightened her up correctly.

THANKS for all the replies. I amazes me how many "BS tales" there are, from a "noob's first build" perspective.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
59ab
Grenade Inspector

I don't buy it either. Have been hearing this for years but nobody can tell who it happened to.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
rusty1
Old School HAMBer

...a little tip on your thermostat, drill an eighth inch hole in the flange, then install, this will allow it to purge the system of any air and it won't burp out the cap or overflow on the first startup. This won't hurt normal use thereafter.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
Beep
Alliance Member

Won't hurt the engine at all,,,,,but it may sterilized the operator...

You haven't lived until you've almost died,
for those who have fought for it, life has a meaning the protected will never know
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
metalshapes
Tech Editor

On certain '60s Ferraris it said in the Workshop Manual to take off the headers and run it without.
So you could measure at which distance from the head the color of the flames changed.

This was to check the mixture of the carbs ( and the synchronising between the carbs )

The Italians must have had better valves than the guy who came up with the bent valves story...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Von Richthofen
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep View Post
Won't hurt the engine at all,,,,,but it may sterilized the operator...
I totaly agree ..
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
David Chandler

I can remember stock cars running with nothing at all for an exhaust system. Just flames belching out of the ports. They kept coming back week after week, and I doubt if they had to do a valve job every week.
That said, to me I'd think it would be a fire hazard, or at the very least some fried wires sooner or later.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #18
61falcon

if its true, how do you explain all the cars at all the dragstrips running no exhaust. just headers.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #19
fab32
Alliance Member

TOTAL BULL SHIT!! With the exception of the suggestion it would be better to be able to hear any potential noises that indicate a problem.

Frank
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
hellcat666
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart3406 View Post
Jeez???. When will this old wives tale die???? No, running with an open exhaust and/or straight pipes will not hurt your engine, cause your valves to burn, bring on the 'heartbreak of psoriasis' or do any of other numerous ridiculous 'bad things' that it supposedly causes. It likely won't make any more power or cause your car to run any better or faster than if it had a properly designed, 'muffler equipped 'exhaust system either, but that's another matter. The worst it will do is likely piss your neighbors off, gain you a few tickets for excessive noise and damage your hearing, but that's all!

Mart3406
i agree that running the car like that realy isnt guna hurt it, but not necisarily tru about it not running any better, or faster, your motor will def run differntly with a full exhaust than with just open headers, running open headers can also effect you fuel air mixture. not hurt but change. dragsters and race cars are set up and have carbs that allow them to run and make most power with minimul exhaust, but if ur trying to daily drive the car, or even drive it 30 miles once a week to a cruz night, running a full exhaust would def make the car run better in this case. just my thoughts

North Jersey Kustoms