Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Renegades cc" History and scrapbook!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Mar 14, 2010.

1. A friend of mine called me on Friday and told me he wanted to show me something special. I told him I go to the Anti-donut Breakfast on Saturday mornings,in Hunington Beach,so meet me there.
    He shows up with the 6" thick scrapbook that dates back to 1947! It's the scrapbook from the Renegades car club of Long Beach! We start looking through it,pages disintegrating as we go,and i'm just AMAZED!!!! Club rules,newspaper articles,member photos,fliers,the map for the Pasadena Reliability Run from 1953,etc,etc! It will be the main focus of his upcoming "Showcase of Customs" show in Long Beach this September. One of the surviving members gave him all this stuff to preserve it and share it with everybody. Here's just a tidbit of what I saw!

I will post the articles and photos as he sends them to me.

2. Here's their club plaque,
    [​IMG]

Car Craft,little book,when they were voted "Car Club of the Year"...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  3. Original club banner...
    [​IMG]

4. My buddy Trace,with one of the member's jackets!!!
    [​IMG]

5. AND!!!!!!!! the club scrapbook!!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. WOW!!! Where did he find that? Super Score for any Kustom nut. Any shots of whats in the photo album?

7. club members...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. check out the cool trophies!!!
    [​IMG]

9. The newspaper articles are hard to read. He's gonna scan them and e-mail them to me so it will be easier to read them...
    [​IMG]

Looking over the plans and location for Lions Drag Strip!!!!!
    [​IMG]

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Wonderful piece of history. I'm so glad that someone took the time and effort to keep it preserved!

11. Hmm...Shot Rod? Would that be the first name for a Rat Rod? hahaha!
    [​IMG]

12. Pasadena Reliability Run...1953!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

AND THE MAP OF THE ROUTE!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Trace said this was the first version of the Moonglow...any of you guys know if that's correct? Denich??? Rikster???
    [​IMG]

14. These are the ACTUAL photos too! Not copies. That's all I have right now. I'm gonna keep this thread going and ad to it as he sends me more photos and articles,etc...

I was just blown away by the scrapbook! Stuff like this just doesn't show up. Now and then,some guys daughter finds some old pic's in a box,but that's pretty rare. Can't wait to see what else is in that book!!!!
    Keep this thread saved guys. Cause it will just get better...

15. He's having a book restoring company copy the pages and make a new book or something like that. If it's gonna available for sale I WANT A COPY!!!!!

16. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

17. I was just standing there with my jaw open! You'ld love it,Chris!
    Like the new avatar too!!!

18. Rikster

Rikster

Very cool stuff... Cant wait to see the rest of the photos.....

Thank you Bad Bob and friend for sharing

19. Rikster

Rikster

No that is Saint Vasques his 51 Chevy... not even the same year as the Moonglow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later Larry Watson would add a few scallops to it...

[​IMG]

20. Ridiculously cool...would love to see a whole lot more of this stuff. Thanks for sharing and please post up more if you can...very cool

21. John Denich

John Denich

Not a score at all they are still owned be Harold Johnson they are on loan to the promoter!

The history of this club is simply amazing, I fellow by the name of Ed Couzens had the idea to do shows, not only were the Renegades known for having great cars but to win an award at one of their shows was a great honor! they held shows in Compton Parking Lots, Norwalk Park and Bellflower High! And the CREAM OF THE CROP they held at the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium from 1958 to 1960!!!!!

They were also a founding member of the ASSOCIATED CAR CLUBS OF LONG BEACH, other clubs in this Association were the Bent Eights, Cut Outs, Crusaders and the Fury's.

This is when you were allowed to be proud of your car! Display it at shows! and Brag about winning trophys!

Yes that is Saints Chevy not Duane Steck's Moonglow!

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Made my day Bad Bob, Looking forward to more history. Slim

23. I knew you and Rikster would have more info on this stuff. Thanks John. The book had lots of pic's from those car shows at Excelsior High School and some parking lots in Lynwood and Compton,etc...

24. draginsteel

draginsteel

That is some great history. My mom would have throw that old ragedy book out long ago.

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That is too cool! Thanks for sharing this cool piece of history.

26. I hear John Denich talk about famous Custom cars and all the details many times. He knows his shit about it. It was cool to see some actual photos taken back in the day! I bet John could name every car in that book! Rikster too...Of course,I don't have access to Rik,haha!

27. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

thats pretty bitchen!! The Renegades were a big deal back then!!

28. whiteboy77

whiteboy77
    from Dallas Tx

29. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Trace is wrong, Duane Stek's chevy was a 1954.

30. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Larry Watson told me years ago that he was tight with the Renegades - painted a lot of their cars including Harold Johnson's 51 Chevy fleetline - pearl white with green scallops and yes, Duane Steks "Moonglow"