Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Corvair body work.......how much $ am I looking at?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Mar 9, 2010.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

The wife and I have moved our trip to this summer when our son gets out of school. We will be going to pick this up from my Mom in Colorado, she is giving it to me.

It is a 3 speed, not 4.
    The motor is a 900 Manza. She believes there was about 1,100 made.

Just wondering how much $ in body work the back will need behind the back window. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape.

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

An honest answer will require stripping that old falling apart mud outta there and getting a good look at it; it's all speculation until then.

Honestly I wouldnt be looking at $ but the time issue (but time is money I get that) just do it yourself it may not be as bad as it seems, bondo hides good and bad....it could be filler that failed and the underlying steel is in relativly decent shape underneath it.....or it could be a train wreck under there.

Expect a train wreck and be surprised and happy if you dont find one.

3. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

When you say "mud" do you mean bondo? It came from the factory with bondo on it?

(sorry, not too educated on Corvairs)

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Get another deck lid. Cheaper than the time and money to redo whatever is under those cracks. I sold a complete Corvair less engine like that with a spare hood and deck for $250

5. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Yes, he means bondo and NO it didn't come from the factory with it. That's an old repair cracking out and judging from the thickness of the bondo it has some fairly deep dents there. If I was getting the car I'd want to replace the decklid as suggested above with a good solid and STRAIGHT one...

Other than that it looks like a pretty cool car!

6. flatford39

flatford39

Something doesn't look right. The engine is in the back on these. Why can't I see the line between the rear window and the deck lid where it is hinged to open??? I take it that the stainless trim is the base of the rear window so where is the hinge line???

I would just get another deck lid than play with that one. They are really fun cars to drive especially if a four speed.

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

It is a 4 speed. I can't wait! :cool:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  8. Toner283

Toner283

Have you got a picture that is not as close up of the damaged area? Taken say, from a few feet directly behind the car?

9. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I will get my Mom to take a better pic

10. flatford39

flatford39

A better picture would be appreciated as well. I suspect that this isn't the deck lid but is the piece between the rear window and the deck lid, so just getting a new deck lid is not going to solve your problem. It just looks to be to long for it to be the piece I think it is but a better picture could help.

11. Toner283

Toner283

^^^ Same thing I was thinking.

12. Car in a can!

13. slickshoez

slickshoez

a pic of the inside too? get a rough idea what shape the tin is in.

14. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Look closely at that first pic and you will see the beginning of the engine hatch opening in the lower left corner of the picture.Ther's about a foot wide area between the rear window and engine compartment and I hate to say it but most likely you are going to find a LOT of rust and rot under that bondo job.Don't let that discourage you this is a real common issue on all the Corvairs you can get that panel used from California Corvairs and replace it.You need to come over to Corvair Forum Or Corvair Forum.com • View forum - General Topics and Join us you'll get any help you will need there.Looks like you have a real nice Corvair for yourself and the price was great!

15. Gerg

Gerg

i know of this place about 15 miles from you that could have the parts that you need ...

16. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Hopefully it isn't rust holes from a leaking window now covered in bondo. I've seen rust there that would require a lot of time, and/or a donor car. Scrap it back to clean metal, then you'll know how much $$$ you'll need to spend.

17. 61TBird

61TBird

Please send those wheels to the scrap yard....:rolleyes:

And post some Interior pics if you can.
    Even with the work to fix it,you still have a great start on a cool cruiser.

18. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I love you!

19. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I added more pics at the beginning of this thread, please look and let me know what you think......and how do I get rid of that baked on "Ralph Who" bumper sticker?

20. 61TBird

61TBird

You don't.
    It must stay on there until it falls off on it's own...:D

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

22. flatford39

flatford39

OK that looks alot better. I suspect you can probably remove the mud (bondo) & do some hammer & dolly work there that wasn't done on the original repair and get the amount of bondo down to a light skim. You just need to take your time and not be in a hurry.

23. skullhat

skullhat

thats not a real hard repair for a decent metal guy.....i'd strip it and go from there. easy to make a panel for that area, or as posted, order one from california corvair(think thats wht it was called)

skull

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The decklid is not the problem, it's the tulip panel that's bad...hard to say what's happened under that bondo...could be rust, could be something was dropped on the car there, maybe a tree fell on it and destroyed the rear window and dented the panel...???

Problem is, that area is sealed, you cannot access it from the engine compartment to work it from underneath.

R-

25. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the help

26. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

could of had an engine fire which warped the panel,look for other signs of scorching.

27. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Great car, fix it and stop worrying. No, keep worrying - about where you will send those wheels!!! Maybe bring some wheel covers when you pick it up.

It is a great car - the 'hood' is already louvered!!!!!

28. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Suggestions on the wheels? 4 lug? Hub caps?

29. From what I have heard, you can update the rear suspension to the later style Corvair... I'd do that AND switch to 5 lug- safer set up and many more wheel choices.

30. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Hold on to your ass once you start excavating! I had a 54 chevy that was the bondo gift that just kept giving.