Register now to get rid of these ads!

fabricating a wishbone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdstrgrl, Mar 6, 2010.

1. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

ok all you HAMBers...I need some help.

I need a 32 wishbone for my roadster, but haven't been able to find one that is suitable. Before you ask; no, I do not want to use a split bone.

I've searched the forum but haven't been able to find a precedent for this...so here goes.

I have a 34 wishbone and an A wishbone. Is there a way that I can fabricate a 32 wishbone? Can anyone give me some tips on how to fabricate a wishbone out of what I have? Pictures and descriptions would be welcome!

Thanks for any and all help with this one!

2. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Okay I'll ask.... If you have original unsplit '34 bones on your car, why "fabricate" (manufacture ?) deuce wishbones ?

Sorry just asking.... Curious....

3. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Ones longer than the other I think.

4. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I cant remember wich one is longer but I have seen them lengthened with a sleeve then rosette welded as well as the seam welded where it was cut using part of another bone.

5. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Sure one is longer which I certainly realize. however; after installation in your rod, espically unsplit, how would you ever tell the difference...... That is what I was wondering....

6. beatnik

beatnik

Apparently know one else knows how to read! They just like spouting off.

Here's a great a post about how to lenghten wishbones:

Lengthening a Ford wishbone

the pics are missing but I've attached them, it's for an A-V8 using 34 wishbone and an A wishbone to make them long enough to work with a 1932 K-member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  7. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

Thanks to everyone for their input.
    beatnik...I really appreciate your post that explains a lot. The pictures are really helpful.

To explain a few things: The car in my avitar is my husband's T speedster. I have gotten the "itch" as some would call it for my very own rod.

I am piecing together a 28-29 roadster. I am a first time builder who is using the parts that I have to get this car together. Since I am new to this, I appreciate all help, so thanks again.

8. Rem

Rem

Although Beatnik's post above might suggest otherwise, I was under the impression that the stock-length '34 wishbone was used in AV8s? I think a lot depends on how and where you mount the motor (and hence K-member) - do you know that you need to lengthen yours?

9. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

yes, I know that I need to lengthen the bone for this project.

10. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I would like to spout off....mostly because I'm curious. and since it seems to be a top secret build I can only speculate. I have a 32 wishbone and heavy axle. I was going to use a repop av8 k member and through reading realized I would have to shorten my wishbone. I was prepared to that but then I decided to make my own crossmember that I could mount my V8 trans on. I guess what I'm saying is if your using the Tardel K member the 34 wishbone is preferred if not...I wanna see what your building...if it's anything like that speedster it MUST be cool.

11. TUDORTOBY

TUDORTOBY

I think i read somewhere on the H.A.M.B. that the Tardel-Bishop Av8 book had a misprint in it. It says 33-34 wishbone but you really need a 32. I am doing an av8, i bought the book, and hunted down a 34 wishbone. Then found out i needed a 32, so i just decided to make my wishbone my self. I dnt call that cutting corners, i call it hot rodding. If a guy has the skill and the tools, why not? I know i definately have more time than money.

12. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

Yeah the Tardel book had me all confused for a little while there. I finally started looking for the measurements instead of the year. It wasn't too hard to figure out that the book had it backwards. So now just to get things fixed so I can get to the body of this car.

ironfly...I'm hoping to outdo my husband on this project...when I get her done...I'll post pics...it may be awhile

13. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  14. The stock 34 wishbone is to short to work with a K member in an AV8 and will need to be lengthened according to where exactly you mount the K member. A very talented friend helped out big time in lengthening my 34 wishbone to fit my 28/29 RPU project. Shouldered, stepped, bevelled spacers where turned out of solid stock and then bored before being tig welded in place with much care taken in alignment. We cut the 34 wishbone apart about 1/2" from the weld at the yolk right in the middle of where it becomes a consistent, round, 1-3/8 diameter, camber was adjusted on the wishbone arms just behind the axle yolk before the spacers where measured and machined. I am VERY happy with how it all turned out and happy that we didn't try marrying two sets of wishbones together. Good Luck. Jason...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  15. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

If you really want a '32 wishbone, buy the one offered above or post a want ad in the classifieds. Sell the pair you have to offset the cost. Try fordbarn.com as well.

16. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

ironfly...thanks for the links, I love the pics of the AV8s. They have given me more ideas.

Thanks to everyone for your help. This being my first build, I'm still in the learning process, so any help is greatly appreciated.

17. doctorZ

doctorZ

besides the 1932 wishbone being 2" wider at the perches they are 2" shorter than the 1934's. what axle are you putting on the front of your car? if you are using a model A axles you won't be able to use the 1932-1934 bones because the perch boss will be 1/4" too small.

also, if you need pieces of bones or the yoke in the center to lengthen them or put a split set back together PM me and you i'll mail you what you need. i never throw those pieces away and have a pile of them from old builds i save for anyone that needs them.

18. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

doctorZ...thanks I appreciate that. I'll let you know if I need anything.

19. StrickV8

StrickV8

wrong. the 32's are 2 inches longer than the 33-34's....

20. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Do you have A.D.D.? or are you just trying to prove that your right by agreeing with everybody else?

Ironfly28: "The sky is blue"

Cosmo Merc: "wrong. the sky is blue"

HEY roadster girl!! How's the project coming?!!

21. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

Well, the flathead is being built as we speak! Yeah...the chassis is coming together very slowly, and I now have the body...so it's coming along...I've got a few pics, as soon as I figure out how to post them...I'll post them in this thread..

22. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Go to photobucket and sign up for an account..it's free... AND I'm DYIN' to see this project..also i've gotta bunch of parts I'd like to trade off. let me know if you need anything.

23. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

If you note who started the "Lengthening the Wishbone" thread, that was linked by Beatnik, you will see why that is the answer to all questions raised about the Bishpop/Tardel book. To lengthen a 34 bone set with the aft end of a model A bone will solve most problems with length AND give better caster angle for the front end. Two birds with one stone. If you don,t know who AV8 is then read the thread

24. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA