Register now to get rid of these ads!

bumper guard tail lights my way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Mar 6, 2010.

1. the first thing i did was cut the shape of the tail light i wanted on the over rider. i went to tap plastics and bought some scrap red and defuser (sp). the defuser is still flat inside the housing. i used a heat gun to melt the red. go easy or it will bubble. i bought enough red to probably make 10 lenses.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    then i made cardboard cutouts for the backer. then transfered them to aluminum. i used aluminum because i had it at work. as you can see i'm pretty shaky on the plasma. i tested it with just the aluminum and with it painted. it was brighter painted so that is how it stays.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. then i replaced the pigtales on my bulbs just because the wires were shot. they were 2.50 a piece just do it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    i j.b. welded the aluminum in. my housing are in decent shape and i don't have the coin to chrome them at this time. once the j.b. cures i'll sand them up and paint the back side.
    [​IMG]

and the final product. i do plan on runing a third brake light as these are gonna be low on the car. i have already bought one. i'll dig it out and snap a pic of that also. so that's it. i work slow and you could do this in a day for sure..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  3. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Looks Great... Great work... Good idea about the Third tailight also..... Ya need to be seen out there with all the Cell phone users concentrating on Texting rather than the road these days.

4. thanks. i bought a pretty cool jeweled red light on ebay i'm gonna put that in the back window. i will dig it out and post it.

5. AZ29

AZ29
    from Arizona

Nice work. The details done by hand makes it yours only.

6. o.k. here are the pics of what will be my third brake light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

8. Tony D.

Tony D.

9. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

I like................

10. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I like them also; looks right.

11. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Glendale, Real great tech article. Came out real nice. I can understand the lack of coin comment. Probably applies to most of us . . .

12. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Interesting, but you didn't say how you attached the lenses to the bumper guard. Also, is the bulb still removable when replacement time comes?

13. where did u get that lense?

14. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

nice work. Ive never had luck with doing it.

15. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

good tech looks good and is afordable

16. Nice work, very neat !
    Now can we get a full rearview, n see them all ... please !? :D
    / primerkid

17. the lenses are just red plastic that i melted to fit the contour. i bought the plastic at tap plastic. i'm sure most any big city would have something similiar. as far as attaching for the lense it is super glued in. it would only take me about 15 minutes to make a new lense at this point. as soon as i finish the second one and move my car a bit i'll get you a full rear view. thanks for the comments everybody.

18. tragic59

tragic59

Looks great, dude. At least one of us is making progress on a Plymouth...

19. BEAR

BEAR

looks nice

20. like to see more ideas on "third breaklights". Thought about that many times after being rear ended.

21. thanks for the comments everybody. tragic lets get her going buddy. hit me up.