Register now to get rid of these ads!

48-54 Hudson Stepdown guys...How did you lower your car???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100% Matt, Mar 4, 2010.

1. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I would like to lower my 49 Hudson so Im looking at some possible ideas. I don't do air bags so they are outta the question. I attached a pic of the car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. TwinH

TwinH
    from Finland

Nothing too fancy in a Hudson suspension.

I cut one round from the front and have 3 inch blocks (with built in angle, helped to cure the drivetrain vibrations) in the rear. C-notched the rails and cut some more room in the floor above the rear differential. Also lifted the driveshaft tunnel under the back seat and reworked the pinion snubber. Also made new lower attachement points for the rearshocks, didn´t like it how they were that low.

Sits like this

http://public.fotki.com/Juppee/car_events/pick-nicks--meetings/d/roadtorumble-1.html

Nice ride by the way

3. I'd like to lower the front of my 50 Hudson as well. I've read on the HAMB of the shoebox Ford guys using Aerostar springs to get 2-3" lower without the problems that come with cutting coils while maintaing the ride comfort and suspension geometry. I'd like to know if the Hudson springs are a close enough match to use something like those as well. Anyone know the dimentions of the Fords & Hudsons for compairson?

4. studhud

studhud

Well my hudson sits on hydraulics it has eight inch cylinders in the front and 10 inch in the back. It is a cigarette pack off the ground lifts up about 8 inches off the ground front and back. The car was an old Lowrider/Bomb from the mission in San Francisco.
    Heres the crap that was installed when I got it.
    [​IMG]

Heres the crap I cut out.
    [​IMG]

I re notched it and installed a new "bridge" a bridge is a cross member that holds the cylinders
    [​IMG]

New gusset plate. With new mustang gas tank for ground clearance the hudson one is way too low!
    [​IMG]

trunk floor out with frame to hold tank and battery box
    [​IMG]

New trunk floor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painted out and seam sealered! Note the hole on the right is for the battery box and the gas tank bolts up from underneath better for fire and the floor is flat!
    [​IMG]

The stance
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps give you an old school idea! Oh by the way it rides sweet:D
    Dave Hitch

Mickle29 likes this.

5. Looks great Dave. Nice and clean installation.

6. studhud

studhud

Thanks Keith good hanging with ya in Bakersfield. Funny I thought no one would respond to this post:confused: Hope to see you in Santa Maria!
    Dave Hitch

7. superwasp912

superwasp912

I fabbed some spacers ,ground out the spring pocket rivets and inserted spacers,grade8 bolts and did not cut the spring.1" spacer=2"drop,rear just standard 2' spacers,haven't measured but it looks like it dropped more than 2".did'nt screw up the geometry either.J.R.

Attached Files:

8. Im getting springs wound with a 2" drop in the front with a little higher rate to compensate - $120 whatever rate and length you want. rears had 2" blocks, so they will stay, the old cut and heated front springs are going! also flipped and swapped the shock absorber brackets on the rear axle. 54 corvette shocks work for it up front so im geting bilsteins there with a little extra beef on the lower mount- they are very easy to bend so watch the collapsed length of the shocks. ive also read that there is an AMC sway bar that fits up front

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. THEKID49

THEKID49

Mine has 3in blocks in the rear and 1in spacers in the front lower control arms. Plus I keep a 2 ton floor jack and jack stands in the trunk for a little extra help. And usually a full cooler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]