Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gone in 60 seconds merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TJratz, Feb 28, 2010.

1. TJratz

TJratz

Anyone know anything about the merc in Gone in 60 seconds?

2. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

3. These were not the same cars and they were not 51 mercury's.

4. flamed34

flamed34

Don't know where the Merc is, but I have a cool tie in to the 1989 sequel to the original movie:

The director of Gone In 60 Seconds was H.B. Halicki - Henry. His brother is Ron. They grew up in Dunkirk, NY about 30 miles where my family is from originally. Somewhere over the years - probably during his 2 decades playing in bands -my father got to be friends with the brothers.

Fast forward to 1988-89, Henry was filming the sequel to Gone in 60 Seconds (released post-mortem). He wanted a song for the soundtrack from an obscure band Pearls Before Swine. I believe the song he wanted was Another Time, but I'm uncertain. Anyway, the only copy he knew of was the one in my father's collection. He had his brother come to my parent's house, borrow the album, and ship it to him so he could have it remastered for the soundtrack, then shipped it back.

I don't know if the song was ever used as he died during the filming in a stunt gone wrong and I haven't seen the sequel.

Sorry to be O/T...just thought it was cool my father has a tie in to such a car culture icon.

5. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Dean in sfv built it I got a good look at it in Paso, Don't know what happened to it ask graucho

6. Does not have the fins of a 1951, so it's 1949-1950. I think that one in the pics has a '50 rear window, does not have the strap looking things.

7. OK I'm confussed. Was this Merc in the 2000 remake with Nicholas Cage? I couldn't find anything about a "Gone in 60 Seconds" that came out in 1989.

8. flamed34

flamed34

The 1989 version was the sequel to the original Gone In 60 Seconds, not the 2000 remake with Cage. It was titled, Gone in 60 Seconds Deadline Auto Theft - I believe it was released in 2003, pieced together from the reels shot in 1989.

9. I think there is a Merc in the movie that starred Nicholas Cage.

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There is. It's in the scene right after he hot-wires the '57 Thunderbird. The Merc fires up, pulls away and shoots fire out of the exhaust. If I recall correctly, it was built by Dick Dean and was purple with a ghosted style flame. It was in an issue of Super Rod years ago, real nice looking car

11. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

The Merc used to and my still be at the Peterson Auto Museum. the sign on the display said " built by dick dean and also starred in Cobra!" blew me away when I read it back about 2003? when I was down there. I couldnt believe my 2 favorite movie mercs were the same car!! The ruby red eye ball on the skull really does starred at you from every angle!!

12. lukey

lukey

13. Dick Dean never built the Cobra Mercs.
    Eddie Paul built 4 x '50 Mercs for that.
    So was there another Merc in the movie other than Cobra?

14. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a chevy I hadn't noticed before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Are we sure the cobra merc is the same? That car was a piece of shizzit! with black walls and all.....
    The Cage Merc on the other hand seems rather sweet, althoug, beeing a few seconds scene shot in the dark and the car deosnt even show completeley it might not be as nice as it seems....
    I'd love to take a look at a good picture and read the right info. many other nice cars in that movie...minus eleanore, i really dont understand how a plastic kitted shelby made so much success.

16. I've got some pic's at home,that I took at Vegas a few years ago. I'll post them later.

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i think it was Eddie Paul who restored the only remaining merc a few years back{which was a 1950 Mercury Monterey} Sylvester Stallone owned it for awhile.i have the magazine that covered the Restoration some place.

{for more reading enjoyment}
    http://www.insideline.com/features/the-100-greatest-movie-and-tv-cars-of-all-time.html

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  18. its hard to believe they are the same car

19. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

I read a story awhile back that a guy in Eastern washington chopped the 4 mercs used in crash scenes, not sure if he painted them. The merc in the money shots was never hurt. Thats the one that I believe got redone for gone in 60 seconds. not sure if the mercury is still at the Peterson Museum

20. Here you go...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Are you telling me the 2nd hb halicki film was released ,I saw the original and that one puts cage to shame ,I do know the story ,How his wife went to hollywood to get it released and boy did they take it out of proportion.Shame that Hb died,

22. lukey

lukey

Whats type of scoop is that on the cobra version? The chop is differant too. Personally i like the cobra version better.

-LUKEY-

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

There was a Spammer on that thread, I was deleting their posts, and somehow the whole thread went...

My appologies.

Not sure what happend there, I probably just messed up.

Please re-post here.

If I can restore the other thread I'll Merge it with this one later.

Again, sorry guys...

24. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

25. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Damn that sucks,Kill all spammers,Did the second hb halicki film ever get released or was that gone in sixty seconds with cage,I dont remember a merc in that one though ,The one with cage I do,,,

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thread restored, and Merged.

Sorry for the screw up guys...

27. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Isn't the Chevy parked next to the Merc when they steal it, Fabian Valdez's bare metal coupe?

28. He may very well have done the restoration.
    All I know it was him who built the original 4 Cobra cars.