Register now to get rid of these ads!

Larry Watson panel paint, or scallops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zor, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

Need paint ideas for my shoebox. i wanted to go with something similar to what watson would have done. i just can't decide if i want panels or scallops. i think i know what colors, but not the layout.

Zor

2. daign

daign
    from socal

You can find a wealth of Watson Style photos using the good ol' search function. Put in "Watson" and search from the past year and you'll find as many pics as you could ever want.

-Dane

3. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

thanks daign

4. Dirk

Dirk

My Dad's cousin owned this car. He bought it brand new and took it to Larry every week for more paint. It was on the cover of Car Speed and Style back then, as well as other mags.

I vote for Pannel Paint, not as many out there. What are the colors you have in mind?

Attached Files:

5. Dirk

Dirk

One of Watson's best paint jobs ever. The owner was a Long Beach Renegades car club member member.

Another HAMBer had posted these pictures before. You can find more in the Bo Birtilsson book. "Classic Custom Lead Sleds".

Attached Files:

6. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

Dirk
    i am leaning towards paneling the car w/dupont acrylic 75% flattened with green panels and black borders. i just haven't seen any good pictures of shoebox fords with panel paint and i want to get a real good idea of a layout before i dive in headfirst, this is going to be my first real paint job and i'm am a little sketchy about messing things up.

7. shoebox72

shoebox72

Check out PG.56 of 1959 Custom Cars annual. I always liked that 51 Ford. If you don't have it maybe someone here with a scanner can put the pic up.

BTW. I looked through my stash and I don't have any taillight buckets left. Sorry.

Billy

8. Dirk

Dirk

In the Jan. 1961 Hot Rod, there is an article about Panel Painting. It is at Dean Jeffries Hollywood shop and shows him Panel Painting a shoebox Ford.

Not the neatest job, but it may give you some lay-out ideas.

Check the swaps or ebay. I might even have an extra in my stash.

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Zor, you're a fag.

10. Sailor

Sailor

Dirk, check your mail.

11. T-Bird Huntress

T-Bird Huntress
    from Hilo, HI

Have you seen this Larry Watson scalloped Squarebird? If so, let me know.
    Aloha.

Attached Files:

12. OUR 58 BIRD HAS ALWAYS BEEN BABY BLUE SCRATCH ONE OFF THE LIST:(

KEEP POSTIN AND SEARCHIN... DON'T LET A COUPLE OF DORKS WHO HATE ... STOP YOUR QUEST ... JUST MENTION THEM OFTEN AS YOU NEED TO THAT THEY HAVE A BAD ATTITUDE..ALWAYS IS SOME ONE HERE THAT THINKS THERE S... DON'T STINK... MOST ARE ANXIOUS TO HELP ITS WHAT WE DO... BEST

13. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

If and when I ever do my shoebox I'm going to do scallops like the ones in my avitar. I would have done them before this except almost everbody said that scallops don't fit well on a shoebox and I tend to agree with them. So if I were you I would go with a Larry Watson style paint job.

14. Mutt

Mutt

The Hot Rod Article....

Mutt