Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm not walking anymore-Model A Coupe project post war 40's build.w/PICTURES.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 10, 2010.

1. 2/15/10 Expect lots of updates. I work for myself and I am going to document the complete build here, maybe get a blog.....oh and I'm going to video the entire thing....

Well, actually I'm still walking. :p;) But who cares! I scored a Model A! I got up at 6 a.m. and was waiting at his door step when he opened for work. It was listed funny on craigslist as make an offer. i was the only person to show up and look at it. Needless to say, He took my offer and I got that "junk" out of there It's a 30 or 31, It's been chopped, poorly, and its not even tacked on in the pictures. I got an axle, 3 visors, some floor crossmembers, a grill, some hacked wishbones, and some other junk I don't know what they are.......I think i got a REALLY good deal. It does need a lot of metal work.....but for the price I'm not complaining.....:cool:

So what are my plans?

I'd like to find some pieces taken out of a car so I can un-chop it.edit: I will not be unchopping the car. I measured and the chop is around 2 or 2 1/2 inches, I was told it was 4. Which I know I is real hard for my buddy to drive. I didn't have anything to compare it to at the time but now looking at it and other chops I know that it is the right height for me. I think I'm just going to start working on the metal work and worry about a chassis latter as this project is long term....But I would like to build it on a 32 chassis with a flathead or perhaps my pontiac 455? I would really like to build a early post war style car. In that case the 455 is out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll take more pictures and post them in a bit. But first a nap....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Nice project, congrats! I like. :)

3. looks to be a great start. i'd like to have a 30/31 coupe

4. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Oooo yeah, the 455!

5. synthsis

synthsis

6. I guess I should say raise the chop? I think it's got a four inch chop and I would like about a 2 inch or so.

7. hacked wishbones. they are angled in and pie cut at the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drilled axle

[​IMG]

stuff I don't know what it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. visors. I got a couple different ones with different body lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

two of them have the body lines at the bottom and one doesn't.

9. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

I think the chop is killer!!

10. Your first dunno pic is a header panel, subrail crossbrace and a closed cab pickup header.

11. if anyone knows anything about what the above parts are let me know!

inside car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. MBog

MBog

Good score...

13. any ideas what was on this?

[​IMG]

I have dreams of a timing tag......

14. ID tag. Had mainly patent info on it.

15. thanks Tman.

16. okay. so it's stock......:(:p thanks again. I've got a lot to learn about these old fords.

17. nice score.. keep us posted on the progress

18. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Great score.Keep us up-dated.
    Mark

19. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Man, I LIKE it, a damn fine chop too!

Nick.

20. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

When i first read "I'm not walking anymore "

I thought you'd been kicked in the bollocks :eek:

NICE A

21. hahaha....no, it's more of a play on my screenname since I didn't have anything HAMB worthy when I joined.:D

But, you'd want to kick me in the bollocks if you knew what I paid.:eek::D

22. snelson57

snelson57

Even if it was poorly done, I think the chop height looks perfect.

I love a chopped highboy with a full hood.....good start.

23. thanks! I say poorly done because the only thing holding it on is gravity!:eek:

24. I'm so excited. In a month I will have the room to move this into my garage....just as soon as I finish the 59 Nash I am working on for someone......I'm now obsessed. but I think I should figure out a title before I get to far.....

Question.

Is there any way to tell if this thing is a 30 or 31. I know there are minor differences. But with so much missing it's kinda hard to tell. I will probably just call it a 30 since I like even numbers.....;):rolleyes:

just measured the one unchopped door window. it's 13 1/2 inches the passenger side which has been chopped measures in at 11 1/2 inches. So i guess It is a 2 inch chop.

25. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I think you'd have more time & hassle in trying to "unchop" it. I'd think about finishing the chop as it looks pretty darn good as is.

26. I measured the one unchopped door window opening. it's 13 1/2 inches. the passenger side, which has been chopped, measures in at 11 1/2 inches or so.(it's not welded together yet) So i guess it is between a 2 and 3 inch chop. I won't be unchopping it unless i decide i don't like it. I've been sitting and staring at it for awhile today and it's growing on me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It looks like a good start . Don't think I missed it , but spill the beans ... what'd ya shell out for it ?

28. Tank

Tank

This goes behind the seat. Its the package tray.[​IMG]

29. Tank

Tank

Ok that didnt quite work. Thats the package tray for behind the seat.

30. Sorry. I'm not letting that cat out of the bag. :cool:. but it was well below market value.;)