Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Take That Mrs. Lauren!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 6inarow

6inarow

I hope its still happening in English classes today

3. I can safely say it was happening between 1994 and 1998.

4. alchemy

alchemy

I'll trade you a nice clean copy of that magazine for your old written in copy.

5. Labold

Labold

6. Takes me back to my hidden issues of Hot Rod in the ol' 3-ring binder.

dreams make the world go around.........

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just love a custom packed with a hot motor and a full line of SW gauges!!!

What a neat find Ryan. Wonder if that kid ever made it to Bonneville?

8. I can guarantee that anything learned at the salt flats would be remembered much longer, and be far more useful to a growing mind than anything absorbed in english class!

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I love that car. It's one of the few chopped 39/40 Fords that actually looks good.

As far as writing in the magazine goes; I hate it when I find a magazine that's been written in because it's usually a bunch of scribbled junk.

But that inscription ads a great story to a magazine that would otherwise be like any other copy anyone owns.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Right on! I have a copy of the November 1964 CAR CRAFT (the one with the first of a 7 or 8 part series on building a "T" bucket, and easily the most worn out mag I own!) That obviously was used one day as a note pad for a philosophy class. But in all the weird, disconnected, scribbling are several statements very similar to what your talking about. And, being that I got this copy in the mid to late seventies, right in my school days, I have to admit that the newer scribblings are mine! Always wished I coulda' met the first owner of that mag though...

11. It's interesting that the article makes no mention of what motor the car had. 126 mph is flat flying for a flathead in a full bodied car...even today!

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yep, just waitin to go for that first ride in a machine of our own handywork.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I still remember the first time I saw a R&C little pages. I don't remember the year (middle 50s) but another guy in class brought it in and had it hidden in his math book. Details get foggy after all these years but the impression is stamped into my gray matter forever. When they went to the larger format the stealth factor was eliminated.

That is so cool! It brings back some great memories. I treasure some of the catalogs that I have with parts circles and even some with the promotions cut out nothing that cool!

14. That's great ! Reminds me of the time I got caught ready Henry Gregor Felsens - Hot Rod in a science class instead of the assigned work. That would have been in about '78.....

Johnnie.

15. Beautiful.

Attached Files:

16. I am pretty sure that car is still in Washington. I remember seeing it at one of the first Hot-Rod-Aramas in Tacoma. I remember it because I remember seeing the original timing tag on the dash. Which tends to stand out to you on a nicely customized '39 Ford. I would dig up some photos but I am not on my home computer. Does anybody any current pictures of it?

17. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I remember it like it was yesterday... my 3rd grade teacher said "You need to be open to other interests besides just cars"

and even at my young age, I gave her the "WTF does that mean" face? :D

18. I found these on the HAMB from rodncustom. There are at the Mild to Wild show at the Dome. Same car. Check out the timing tag on the dash.

Attached Files:

19. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

If I guess the age of the person at the time he wrote it to be around 15 then he would be around 72 now. Would be cool if he were reading this?

Scrump

20. Cool story - I spent most of my time in high school reading car mags. Damn near flunked out too! Or I used to skip school and go cruising in my '57 Chevy out to the salvage yards to look around. There was a lot of great stuff out at Oakleaf Auto Salvage and Arndt's Wreck King back then! (Oakleaf's had two '32 B-400's back then!)

21. The trick to reading in class was to get good enough grades that the teachers didn't give a shit what you were doing. There was always some loudmouth or slacker that required their attention and you got free reign! At least I did. Clean cut and polite opens lots of doors ;)

22. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Thats Rad!!! Man that is my dream Custom.. I want to build a Channeled 39 / 40 ford some day..

23. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Great post. I love this kind of stuff. Little kid, big dream.

24. pacman

pacman

Best Jalopy Journal feature yet.

Thanks for sharing.

25. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

I've loved that car since I was 15.

26. HotRod33

HotRod33

Just like that young man I am still a kid at heart... now
    i just have more money to spend on my dream projects..... hope he got his dream car done.....

27. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

28. billys54

billys54

very cool story

29. Roadsir

Roadsir

Wow, sounds almost as if this kid could have been my Dad. Doug's car had an impact on him early on in life, and he was later inspired to create his own version.

[​IMG]

30. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like that car.. I think I have seen it at Hotrod-a-Rama?

Fast customs seem to be a staple in the NW.. Im a believer :)