Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc flow tek heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddub, Feb 6, 2010.

1. ive just bought a set of flo-tek heads out of speedway, and have discoverd a problem. ive got the heads on my motor but my gm 2x4 manifold isnt working out. theirs about 1/4 inch gap between the intake and the heads. has any one got these heads and had this trouble and what have you done about it. thanks

2. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Wheres the gap? Front & back? Not sure what you mean. When you set the manifold on it won't sit down on the heads ? A pic might help.

3. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I believe you have purchased 23 degree heads...these won't work with the early style intakes.

The only way to fix this, is to either get different heads...or try to find a newer vortec intake, but you will not be able to run a 2x4 set up with this newer intake.

I like your avatare pic by the way.

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I don't believe this is correct. The early and late SBC manifolds only differ in intake bolt angles, and elimination of the bolts at the heat cross over. The intake face angle at the heads was unchanged. The Vortec cylinder heads of 1996+ had rased intake ports that come very close to the edge of early style intakes, but they still cover it. Early intakes can usually be port matched most of the way to fix that. You can also get dual quad manifolds in several configurations for them.

I just read up on the heads at Speedway. They are an early style head without raised ports. Your early manifold should be a direct bolt on. Do you know if the previous builder angle milled the previous heads? If so the intake was angle milled to match and will no longer work with stock heads configurations. It was a common practice to raise compression a few decades back.

5. the machine

the machine

Block been milled?????

6. chevyshack

chevyshack

If flo tech heads are anything like vortec heads your intake wont work properly. They are angled slightly different than the older heads and use different angled bolt holes. They do sell adapters for the bolt holes though.

7. Babyearl

Babyearl

I would look at the block or the intake for extreme milling.

8. Shawn M

Shawn M

That was my question as well???

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

More myths. They are not like vortec heads. That are the early style as stated above.

Angled holes were on the old style, late style heads use 5/16" vertical bolts, early style heads use angled 3/8" bolts.

No adapter is necessary, you just redrill or elongate the holes in the intake or heads. Either method works, but this isn't the issue in this case.

10. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

If they do have a Vortec style intake port the port will be higher than a conventional intake. They make a gasket to cover this up. I sure someone on here will have the part number. But I have done this and it will work.

Clyde

11. yekoms

yekoms

Hey Scottybaccas,
    Good job of explaining the head intake surface and bolt angles.
    Smokey

12. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

you also need to add material to the top side of the ports on the intake in this case. i ran into this problem when putting a holley stealth ram on a set of patriot performance heads. i wound up using a vortec base (the heads were drilled for both patterns) but yeah, you can make it work. you can't just slap it together though.

13. hey guys i'll see if i can get some pics up. i just took anathor look at these it almost seems they milled to much of the intake side of the head also the ports are a little more taller then the manifold. i emailed flo tek maybe i have to run their intake.:mad:

also i was running this manifold on a stock 350 for a while and had no trouble putting it on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  14. sdluck

sdluck

Are the rubber end pieces in the frt and back?

15. filthy frank

filthy frank

.....it looks like it is in the front.but, look at the intake runners on the top view.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd wager the block had been milled. Are there any "extra" numbers stamped into the serial number pad? A good machine shop marks the block with what work was done. At least mine does, and that's the way I was taught.

17. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Get the thicker intake gaskets from speedways for milled apps. there like .060 thick.Don't really like referring speedways but i know they carry them.

18. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Did someone install offset dowels in the block? These are used by racers to help center the combustion chamber over the piston better. Looks to me like this may be the case.

19. ok forgot to let everyone know. got it solved called the guy at flo-teck (who was an asshole!) after 10 min of arguing he said"i guess a performer will fit" called speedway since i bought them their and he mocked up a moter for me. turns out new after market heads have taller runner then my power pak manifold. so i got a new 2x4 witch sucks but i should be burnin rubber within a week. thanks for all your help!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010