Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ducoils/dupoints, the w&H ducoil & dupoint post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Feb 4, 2010.

1. titus

titus

Ive done some searching on ducoils and havent really been able to learn much....yet.

so i was thinking we should do a good ducoil post, topics like where to get parts for them from, what other points fit them etc etc. point gaps etc etc

the only info i could find was fox valley hot rods have some parts, but i cant find any info on them and it looks like their website is down, but i think hes on the hamb, any info?

i picked up a ducoil for a sbc and when i recieved in the cap was broken:(

its also missing the points sets so i dont have anything to match them too.

I also have a dupoint distributor for hemi and it looks like the body is the same so i could take the adaptor plate and probably the breaker plate and install them on the hemi base and turn it into a ducoil hemi, but thats besides the point.

i attatched a couple of pics.

heres some pics

Attached Files:

2. titus

titus

i found a set of points that fit my ducoil, its a bwd a97v (can be crossed to any other brand) they will fit in both positions and it actually the same point from my spaldings (which take a mirror image of the A97v a a98v points set)

but in some other pics of ducoils (maybe different year) take different points set of maybe it has to do with rotation, if that true then im assuming the opposite rotation ducoil dist would take the a98v poinst and the breaker plate where the points attatch would be different too.

another pic.

JEFF

Attached Files:

3. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I have a NOS one for a Y-Block with a broken cap... if you need more pictures or referance info let me know... I'm hoping your right about the cap being the same on differant applications

4. titus

titus

cool.

i am pretty sure that its the same cap no matter the app.

jeff

5. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Give Fox Valley Hot Rods a PM if he is still on here he has info and some parts. I do have a x-tra cap if you can't find one. He used to have all this info on his web site but it seems he no longer has it up.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Kinda looks like a first generation mallory magspark cap, atleast in the photo's even the hold downs, anyone know if it is??

7. mj40's

mj40's

8. titus

titus

Can anyone help id this ducoil distributor, the tag says its a 54-62 cadi but looking at pics it dont look correct, anyone have a ducoil for 54-62 that we could compare it to? it almost looks as if someone turned the housing down where it goes into the block, maybe someone can mic the diameters of theirs? and where the o-ring goes.

the second pic is off the cadi website

JEFF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    ls1yj likes this.
  9. swifty

swifty

I've got the operating instructions if you need them. Can't scan and post here due to lack of computer skills but have copied and posted them to a few HAMB members. Have also got an old Weiand catalog with the Du-Coil and Du-Point adds which I usually send too. There was a dealer in Oz who bought up a lot of NOS parts but they were super expensive. Will see if I can find the contact details but when you see the prices you may not want them.

swifty

10. cheven

cheven
    from Cleveland

I too have the DuCoil, I thought it would be cool to put into my 409 (truck block) that I'm building to look like 50's Hot-Rod. Has anyone found a source for parts and info? I'm at a disadvantage as all my parts were built before me!!

11. mj40's

mj40's

Here is mine for a 401/425 Buick Nailhead.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and ls1yj like this.
  12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

DuCoil was purchased by Mr. Gasket in the mid-sixties and was combined with Mallory sometime in the seventies. Bob Wyman was the "W" in W&H DuCoil and I think he's still around in Lake Havasu City.

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. Real32

Real32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's what a 55-62 Caddy DuCoil looks like...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  14. titus

titus

Hows about a ducoil display, love to afford one, but not this one!

Attached Files:

15. swifty

swifty

Titus, if you PM me your address I'll post you a copy of the operating instructions and you can add them to this thread for use by all.

swifty

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. 65COMET

65COMET

I have a complete du-coil distributor for a small block Ford.I don't have the coils or any info as it came with a ton of other car-stuff I bought in a garage sale.The cap and business end appears the same as most of the photos on here.Interesting piece! ROY.

17. Muttley

Muttley

Their old Water-Slide decal:

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. mj40's

mj40's

I saw that too. It went for $2,708.99 on Ebay.

Attached Files:

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I ran one on a 394 Olds for a while, about twenty five years ago.
    seems the points were something common.. like Ford six?
    pay attention to the plug wire placement as the rotor lights one end then the other as it goes around. I posted a diagram in another thread a while back.
    I've heard rumors of caps and rotors being repopped, but have yet to see one.
    I had no issues with mine other than the price of NOS caps and rotors.

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

here's the sketch for plug wire placement for early Olds firing order: 18736542 counter clockwise

[​IMG]

21. titus

titus

Swifty mailed me copys of instructions for the ducoil distributor and a catolog page also, so i scanned them and here they are, thanks Swifty.

JEFF

Attached Files:

22. thanks very much Titus and Swifty...:)

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I picked these up the other day
    [​IMG]

24. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Thanks for the info. I'm glad this thread is growing. These are really neat distributors and there's not a lot of info on them.

25. anymore info on the caps being reproduced?

26. s2dbob

s2dbob
    from Dallas, tx

My employer is considering to reproduce the cap, we have a poor condition cap in hand to use as pattern but no rotor, tentative price for the cap to be around $450. If there is any interest, leave a message. We are reproducing some Lucas and Delco caps at present.

Bob M

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  27. titus

titus

I think theres a market for them but probably not at $450, a guy can buy another distributor with a cap and use that, id think if it was possible a $200 cap would be a better target price, i know that would probably be hard but thats what i think.

JEFF

28. alchemy

alchemy

A couple years ago I bought all the NOS caps I needed at $80 per. I think if you are gonna charge $450, you will wait a long time til all the used distributors on Ebay sell and their caps wear out. These things aren't that rare.

29. Bumping this 'ol thread with a tech question for those who have one installed. According to the installation instructions that titus provided it says to wire the positive side of the coils to the distributor and the negative to the ignition switch? Is this intended for positive ground systems or is this unique to the DuCoils?

30. swifty

swifty

Rocket, I provided the Instructions for Titus to post on here and have a DuCoil fitted on the Poly in my T bucket. I'll have to check the wiring on that car which is negative ground to answer your question. My car was wired negative years before the DuCoil was fitted and wasn't changed for the fit.

1Nimrod likes this.