Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 ford car heater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Feb 3, 2010.

1. I have been trying to figure out my heater set up in my 1956 ford tudor sedan. I know it was a stock setup but i cant figure out the rest. My car is actually a mainline and i see that all the fairlane heater switches on the dash have two levers well atleast all of the ones i see.

My dash had a radio delete plate and on the left of it looks like another delete plate but with a stock single heater blower switch in the middle of it. On my firewall there is the motor but no ducts or anything. Just the motor and two wires. Is that how its supposed to be?? Or am i missing eveything?

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Any way to post some pics as there was a basic heater that looks like a dealer add on or one from a 40s vehicle,a friend has a 56 mainline with that basic heater.

3. There is a blower motor that you can see in the engine compartment and a heater core inside the car. I can try and post some pictures. The car isnt very close to me for the time being.

4. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

Your heater motor should NOT be on your firewall. It is on a squirrelcage fan, mounted to a duct that runs through your right fender:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. - Dave

5. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

Those numbers are five-digit GROUP numbers (which are a portion of the part number).

Two shielded hard cables on the back of your select aire control, crisscross on a plate. They control the flapper to divert fresh air into the heater fan, or to your RH fresh air duct. So, fresh air comes from the grille, thru that horn, diverts either straight or to the heater fan. It also does your defroster diverter.
    The other cable goes to your heater core for heat adjustment.

If you have a stock fan, one wire goes to GROUND. The other two wires are (HI & LOW speeds) from the switch.

The switch has three wires: +12 (to feed the switch), +12HI & +12LOW (to the fan motor). There are NO resistors. Fan speed is controlled by two separate windings in the motor.

6. I will have to post pics because there were o ducts or anything like that

7. You probably have a non fresh air heater, maybe add-on in a Cal. Mainline,,,,

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

There was more than one heater from the factory. A mainline could have had the cheap heater. The cheap heater has a fan motor mounted in a cover on the firewall instead of being mounted on the pass inner fender. This is a heater delete plate. The cheap heater looks like this with a fan motor protruding from the middle. The smaller plate above and to the right is where the heater control valve was mounted on some of the 56 models. You should be able to see the same shape knock out even if it was not opened at the factory. I have seen some deluxe heaters without the control valve also but the fan was still on the inner fender. (a mid level heater?)

I was looking for the cheap heater to replace my deluxe version but I found a complete heater delete system first. The last cheap factory heater that I saw was in a Courier. My Customline had the deluxe heater. (I sold it)

The cheap heater won't have the cable for temp control. I believe it only has a fan speed switch like you describe. I don't think it had a cable for the defrosters either.

I'm making my Customline into a Mainline. I love the cheap light bodies with the big engines.:D

Anyone have a rear rubber floor mat? I have the front floor mat but still need a rear mat. I've got to get rid of the fancy carpet.:D

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If it does not look like the illustration above you have the non fresh air heater which looks like a add on heater,you just twist the knob to turn the heater motor on/off and pull it out for defrost. The fresh air heaters had two different temp control valves,one vacumn operated that mounted on the intake and mechanically operated thats on the firewall.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Good luck infinding the rear half of the floor mat as I dont think its being reproduced,I have a NOS front part for my 55 sunliner and looked for years for the rear and I gave up and installed carpet.

11. Thanks guys, I beleive i have a non fresh air heater. Im thinking about going with a ron francis wirring harness. Will i be able to run all my stock switches and heater motor?

12. Paul2748

Paul2748

yes