Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds Gods shine down..... The Zen of Hot Rods.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbleed, Feb 9, 2005.

1. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Sometimes crazy shit goes down.... I can't even believe it. It's all part of the quest these cars take me on everyday... Obsesion, passion,, whatever it is, it's powerful......

I've been obsessed with early Olds engines since I was a little kid. My roadster (then my dads) was all beat up, it was still the coolest thing in the world to me, but I had never actually seen it when it was nice... So I would dig out the old pictures of it in the sixties, when it was a show car.. I would obsess over it, and dream about what I was going to do to it someday. It had an Olds in it in those days, and it was perfect. I diddn't know about engines, or the differences between them, but I knew that that Olds looked perfect in theat roadster. It was a real hot rod engine, lots of carbs and chrome.

Basically, those pictures, and the old Hot Rod magazines my Uncle gave me is my perspective. Everything I do or see is compared to the memories I have of being a little kid looking at pictures of my roadster in the old days and the magazines of the same era. It's pretty much where I learned most of what I know about Hot Rods...

When it came time for me to build my roadster I wanted an Olds for it so bad... I looked eveywhere, but every one I found was either junk or way too expensive... So I settled for the chevy. It is a neat motor and I have all the right stuff for it.. It looks great in the car, and it performs like a motherfucker......... Just like a Hot Rod should.

Ive been collecting parts on the back burner to someday put an Olds in it. The problem is I really am happy with the Chevy... someday maybe I'll change it...

Fast forward to the last couple years and I've been busy as hell with these cars... I've found alot of neat stuff and built some cool stuff too. I started building the Bleedster a couple years out of left over parts. The whole idea behind it was to build it cheap and make it look cool.... Somehow I lost my drive to build it, it sat around for over a year. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get into it.

I realised it had neat, graceful, lines.. It was delicate looking, kind of like a girl, but I felt it was lacking something.... It just wasn't bad ass. haha

On one of our late night phone conversations I was telling this to Tuck. I told him the Bleedster looked like a girl, which is good, but I wanted to make it look like a girl you want to fuck.

So thats when I decided to start over on the car.... I took it all apart and am building another roadster on its frame and in the process building a new frame for the Bleedster.... Hopefully it will be bad ass..... Worm will decide..Hahahaha

Then right around this time we went to Moriarity's house to film the Mad Fab II stuff. I was completly blown away. Not so much by the obvious stuff like the fact he has the road Agent and Outlaw in his living room and all his cool Roth stuff,
    but by the level of finish and detail he put into everything he does. I decided I needed to make the Bleedster worthy of being in Moriarity's living room. Hahaha

A tall order..... I pretty much haven't slept since.

I was still planning on using the Nailhead, but thought maybe I'd put a 6x2 on it or something. That's when I saw the 6x2 Olds intake and carbs twjoyce had in the classifeds.. I made a deal with him and figured I'd just use the carbs on the nailhead and save the intake for something else. Then I got to talking with him.... I was telling him how awsome his coupe was and that Olds motors rule... I asked him if he had any other Olds stuff. He told me he bought a large collection from a guy that included basically the sister engine to the one in his coupe and he was thinking of selling it......

This is a full race 55 Olds engine built in the 60's and never fired... it has all kinds of cool shit inside... Isky cam etc.....

So anyway I made a deal with for the engine and all sorts of speed equipment.... Enough stuff to put the Race motor in the Bleedster, and put an Olds in my shoebox, and in the Green roadster.

Pretty much a whole shitload of killer early Olds stuff. He's given me a super deal. I'm still paying him off. I can't even believe how cool some of these parts are. To be honest, I wasn't going to tell anyone about this stuff until the deal was done... but as this all unfolds, I couldn't hold back my excitement...

The Bleedster's gonna be a Rocket.

This is the engine in twjoyce's coupe..... Notice the valve covers.

[​IMG]

The engine I'm getting from him has the same Gotha Valve covers, only someone put Stellings breathers over the Gotha logo. I was pretty bummed about that, but the breathers look neat. Those valve covers ar super rare. I've never seen another set.......

So this was all six weeks or so ago, right before Christmas, when I realised thast Elton John wasn't a fag after all and I was a Rocket Man. HaHaHa

Tuck called and he was rambling about Olds intakes and aking all these questions.... I was like WTF? dude I thought you were a Flathead guy....

Then a week later this intake showed up at my house..... Merry Christmas from Canada... Do they have Christmas in Canada? I was floored! he said it was to show his appreciation for helping build his frame. I still can't believe it.

It's a Cragar 4x2..... Shit, it's cool. Tuck rules.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, last fall some guy was in the shop and he had a bunch of stuff in the back of his truck.... A bunch of random junk really. There were these valve covers.. I aked him what they were from and he said he diddn't know. He said he thought they were from a fork lift or some kind of industrial engine......... I looked at them for a second and said that they look like they would almost fit an Olds.... he left, no big deal.

When I saw Tom's Gotha Valve covers I remembered the ones in that guys truck.... I thought, no way, couldn't have been....

Recently, I decided to sell my daily driver truck to buy parts for the Bleedster. The guy with the junk actually came to buy it. When I saw him I asked if he still had those fork lift valve covers, he said yeah and that he would bring them by... maybe I could use them for something.

So today the guy came by with the valve covers... we talked about other stuff and he set them on the floor.. I diddn't even really look at them close.
    Then as he was leaving I picked them up and saw the Gotha logo....... I almost shit my pants. I asked him again where he got them and what they were of off. He said he had no idea, but thought they were industrial. I thought maybe Gotha made valve covers for fork lifts???

As soon as he left I tried them on my dads roadster with the Olds. They fit like a glove..... Then I looked for the picture of Tom's engine and realised they are exactly the same!!

HOLY SHIT!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't even believe it!! Those are the coolest valve covers ever.

Sometimes it's crazy how this stuff come full circle.

2. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Here's a couple pics of some of the Olds stuff....

2x2 Edmunds, 3x2 Weiand, 4x2 Cagar, 6x2 Edelbrock.

Wilcap starter crossovers...

[​IMG]

Tranny adapters.......

[​IMG]

Appropriate LaSalle, Ford T-10 and Muncie trannys...

[​IMG]

Speed equipment is cool.............

3. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

hehe... damn. i'm pretty jealous rt now. those gotha covers rule. whats funny is that no one even acknowleged them even after i said something about them when you posted your buddy's deuce a while back.

4. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

Do you feel like a kid in a candy store?:D I would.... just reading your story kicks ass and seeing the pics! what would this world be like if we did not have hot rodding!!! I fucking love hot rods and speed parts!

5. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

your gay I am the olds hoarder!

6. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Dammmm you always get the good shit!!!
    I hate you for that!!!

Are we going to make it to Autorama???
    do I need to fly out and get Tuck and make the bleedster happen???

were going to cause much damage in texas and detroit...

Danger Danger!!

evel

7. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Bleedster won't be ready for Detroit... I was making myself sick over it.. it's just not worth it. Dude you need to call me.

I am still going to the autorama with the green car.... hopefully a new shade. I don't try to cause trouble... it just seems to find me.

I think me and Tuck are going to drive it there...

I'm not a horder. I truly believe I'm gonna use all this stuff.... if not I sure like looking at it.

Bleedster should be done for the Round up, but I'm not making promises.. I'm so inspired it's rediculous....

8. Great story & Congrats, I can feel the excitement in the air from here!!

how about you pair burn up some time and money and come to B'ville in August as well?

Cheers,

Drewfus

9. Rocket88

Rocket88

What a gay post!

Bleed, you lucky dog!! What a score.

I've got some extra stick stuff I'd be willing to part with, whatcha got to trade?

2 sets of Gotha valve covers..............fuck......

11. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

welcome to the Rocketeers! you BETTER use all that stuff...

12. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

13. Stone

Stone

Killer story.Olds rockets rule.Any pics of the bleedster?

14. aedan

aedan
    from ###

oh man thats awesome!

15. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

Welcome to the Darkside! :D

real nice collection , i feel a bit envy here :D

but on the other case i got 3 rocket engines, 1 joe hunt rocket magneto, 1 starter switch side thingy, 2 manual lasalle transmissions, some mcculloch supercharger stuff, edelbrock valve covers and intake, etc so i shouldnt complain :)

16. plmczy

plmczy

I'm gonna go build a Bleed shrine in my closet right now. Your one lucky SOB. later shawn

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bob, that has to be the coolest set of covers made!!!! .. Congratulations on finding all them parts, Tom had quite a collection of goodies,sweet!!! Can't wait to see the new creation.....

hoarder Anoun1 hoarder
    a person who accumulates things and hides them away for future use
    So what's wrong with a hoarder:D

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Damn, that's a Rocketeer's wet dream.
    Bob there's a little town near Orlando called Gotha, it's total rednecksville.

19. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

hahahaha john the truth be known! one who accumulates for future use! I have a showcase full of my olds intakes cause I like to look at them. and i have about 10 sets of 35 36 wishbones so everyone calls me a hoarder but now I know I am just an accumulator... for future use. cool stuff bob keep on brotha

20. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Awesome score, I'm envious. :D

21. Jaker

Jaker

AWESOME

all that nailhead stuff is going to rule!

22. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

The Bleedster will be one badass forklift.
    Congrats on the score.

23. CAS

CAS

Wow...that's all I can say (with an awestruck look on my face).

24. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

This is the last pic of the Bleedtser together.....

[​IMG]

Hopefully its Bad Ass this time.....at least it will be fast.

Mad Fab III Tech "How to do donuts in a show rod.........."

Does anyone know the story on Gotha? They made adjustable rockers?

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Hey Bob, how didja do your wheels? I wanna do summmink similar.

26. You should use some other forklift parts on it.

27. Damn, that's a fine stash of Olds parts you've got there. I have a Weiand 6X2 for Olds that is sitting displayed in my room, doing nothing but lookin' cool.

28. bluthndr

bluthndr

Damn! That stuff rock(et)s...

I have a 6x2 offy I had sitting in our kitchen for the centerpiece 'til the wife made me put the poor thing out in our garage. Now I just go look at it everynight before I go to bed... Helps me sleep at night.

That stuff is so cool!

Bleed - you said it's a "full race" rocket motor, what does that include? Is there anywhere besides EGGE that anyone can get ANY parts from - let alone performance stuff (cams/pistons/valvetrain in particular)? Seriously - does anyone know of anything/anywhere?

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Awesome score, now if you're ready to let loose some of the Nailhead parts let me know....

30. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I'm working on forks for the Bleedster.... I'm gonna drill holes in them and chrome them.

The guy I got the Valve covers from was in again today, I asked him if that fork lift had any other cool stuff on it...... Then I explained to him that I think the Valve covers were actually made for an Olds......
    He was like , cool glad you can use them....

I don't know where to get stuff for those motors... others will for sure. I'm dumb. I think it's out there if you have cash...

This one sits as built in the sixties with an Isky cam adjustable rockers, .60 over JE pistons. Alluminum flywheel, etc.. It has alot of machining as well...

I'm not an engine guy, but Tom is putting new rings in so it should ready to go..... I can't wait to fire that thing.

I'm not sure if I am going to run the T-10 or the Muncie, but I got a 57 9" from side valve and I think I just found a 3.50 posi...

I have to get the engine mocked in the car to decide, but I'm either going to run the four two or the six two, depending on which one looks right.....

It should perform pretty well as it seems to be a cool combination of parts....

Nads, the wheels where painted with a silver base and then fogged with red.... They look pretty neat, but have always looked a little pink to me.

I sprayed them with silver then used an airbrush for the red fog... then I went back with the silver to soften the lines..... Basically, I just kept painting them till they looked right.

The new wheels will be old school home made chrome reverse with candy fogging.... hopefully they wont look pink........

Anyway this post wasn't about Olds Rocket parts as much as the whole Zen thing... I still can't believe how it all worked out. Crazy.