Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "Youngster" Free T-Bucket Frame Plans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goober, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Ron Young is a Minnesota hot rodder who’s been building T-Buckets since the mid-60’s. Along the way, he was the beneficiary of a lot of knowledge (much of it passed along as constructive criticism) by older hot rod builders who wanted to help someone with not quite as much experience as they had at that point. In the same vein, Ron has put together a set of free T-Bucket frame plans based on the way he’s been building them for the last 15 years or so (just as Coddington built “Boydsters”, the T-Bucket frame style popularized by Ron is called a “Youngster”). They’re free plans because Ron wants to share his knowledge just as his many hot rod mentors did. We’re happy to be able to help put these plans into more hands. Here’s what you get:

-- 23 pages covering the Youngster Free T-Bucket Frame Plans, which highlight the construction of a “roller” chassis

-- many illustrations, some full size, for a transverse sprung front-end and a coil-over-shock suspended rear axle

-- budgetary Bill of Materials, with part numbers and costs

-- yes, they’re FREE — just go to www.TBucketPlans.com, click on the Blue "Youngster" book icon, enter your name and email address and you get a return email your download link (it’s about a 1.7MB file)

Just happy to pay it forward.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. freebird101

freebird101

3. RichG

RichG

Right on Goober, you're going to start a whole new T-bucket revolution! These, along with Chester's plans, should be able to help even a goof like myself get a car done...

Driver50x likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good set of plans that would have made my T a lot nicer 33 years ago if I had had access to them then.

With the Welder's Series Brackets and spring perch and those plans almost anyone could build a pretty nice T frame. They could even do like I did back then and cut everything out and fit it up and then take it to a welder who can do it up right if they don't weld or fear that their welding isn't up to par.

Thanks, I've added a set to my collection along with the plans I bought from Chester a while back.

5. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I got the plans from Ron and then (after I built my frame) got Chester's book too.
    Both great resources.
    Glad to see you have Ron's online.
    You can never have enough plans and ideas!

6. HotRod33

HotRod33

hey that is great.........

7. yardgoat

yardgoat

Hey Goober !!! Thanks for the link !.................................YG

8. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Love it! Thanks!

9. By the way, if you're using Gmail and have a problem downloading the file, just right click on the download link in your email and choose "Save Target As". That should work.

10. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I've always loved the t bucket. very cool.

11. studeboy

studeboy

Goober, thanks for the link. I downloaded it and the plans appear to be very complete.

12. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

I've tried twice now for the free set and the link hasn't made it, checked my filter too and its not there. Can I get some help?

13. Help me out.
    1- Did you receive the email with the link?
    2- When you clicked on the link, what happened?

Want this to go as smoothly as possible for people and already a ton have been downloaded today. Thanks.

14. SpyGuy

SpyGuy
    from Tucson, AZ

Thank you for the link, Goober. Now, to print out that parts list and go shopping .....

15. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If there is going to be a revision at some point, I have a very minor fix:

Top of page 3, you narrow the frame rail via a long taper to 2 inches. The text says "be sure to keep a 2 inch opening for the crossmember" but the diagram doesn't make that clear - someone just looking at the pictures might make it 2 inch outside diameter. On the top of page 4, you drill a 2 inch hole in the same place, so there would be 'issues'.

So, the right-hand diagram at the top of page 3 currently just says '2' but should say '2 inch inside measurement' or something similar.

16. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

Cool! Thanks! ....

BTW:I now have a PDF file labeled "youngsters" that I'll have to hide to avoid questions LOL !

17. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

I'm not receiving the email for some reason. Its not showing up in my filter either.

18. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

19. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Thanks to everyone for your interest in ''The plans''. I am NOT a tech writer and at the time I put these plans tpgether, I didn't have a chassis at hand to refrence from. There are a few rough spots. I will be more than happy to answer any questions. As stated in the plans, this is the way I build 'em. Please feel free to change or modify them to suite your needs.

These plans have been available for some time now. If someone has a chassis started, you could make an old man happy by posting pics of your build here.

Enjoy guys and happy motoring!!!!

Ron

20. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana