Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone done two-tone black on black (Flat/Gloss)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ltlgto, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

I was thinking of doing my soon to be '56 210 post in two-tone black. Lower in flat or satin/upper in gloss or reverse. It was the color I was going to do my 38 Chevy Coupe in. Satin black body and gloss black fenders. Does anyone here have that type of combo? Pictures?

Either that or tuxedo. Black over white or white over black.

Can anyone here photoshop those colors for me on a '56 210?

2. scottrich411

scottrich411

i did some flat/gloss black lace on a fender for my scoot...looked good, gives you the contrast without being too much. I could never get it to look right in pictures, but maybe try painting something smaller first, see how you like it

3. 666Irish

666Irish

I have seen Gloss Black flames over Satin Black. It looked fantastic. It was on a really nicely done '56 Poncho.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I have never done it but have seen it on cars and it is really good looking....

5. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I saw it on a restored '69 Mach I, Matte Black hood and stripes on a Gloss Black car. It really looked sharp.

6. Pontiac4903

Pontiac4903

A friend of mine painted one yesterday. It was a late model Ford 4 door pickup. Everything above the body line was gloss and the lower was satin. The fender flares were gloss. The truck looks awesome.

7. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I did that on my 55 210. Flat black on most of the body but above the quarter trim along with the trunk lid is semi-gloss. Looks pretty cool and gets good comments. Got the idea from Tripleduece on here

8. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

Rich, do you have pics? I would love to see what it looks like. I would probably have to go with flat/gloss instead of satin/gloss since there is a flat clear. I think a 210 would look best with the front and below quarter trim in flat or satin and the uppper quarter trim, roof, trunk in gloss.

9. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I don't have any pics that really stand the differance out and with the car in a unheated garage without power I can't get any right now. Yeah, maybe what I posted first didn't sound right to you but in your discription, that's exactly the way mine is done. Only differance is the rear section of the car is in a satin above the trim line and the rest is flat.

10. Been done, sometimes looks like an unfinished paint job or "inbetween" paint jobs type thing. A lot newer customs or SEMA type cars are doing it too, so you'd kind of start falling in into the Tunerrific group. As long as it done tastefully, it should look cool.

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

12. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

here´s a pic from a friends car.. polished black, with flat black flames and stuff. Shure the combo is nice!!!
    [​IMG]

13. i did gloss black pinstripes on my suede black caddy:)
    [​IMG]

14. 2Hep

2Hep

Buy a scale model and paint it up to see if you like it or not...could be cool.

15. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

ewwwww

16. I had a black Malibu (a '68) once that I flat blacked the hood. Someone wanted it more than I did.

I painted a '51 Ford flat black once with gloss black flames. Looked pretty good for a couple of days, then it caught fire. I just don't do well with flamed cars. I like the look just don't like the karma.

But alas I just don't have any pics. I'm just not one to photograph my cars, never really have been.

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

How about De Rosa's Elegant Evil Cad.:eek:
    I call it The Badmobile, i know it might not be everybodys taste but
    nontheless a bitchin ride and the gloss flames on satin are bad ass!
    This is also one of the color combos im deciding upon for my project.

Attached Files:

18. Big Tony

Big Tony

A club member has a 56 Merc done in Flat black with Gross black flames and it looks killer...sorry no pics

19. dbradley

dbradley

HotRod magazine painted their KIT CAR that way..............

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have seen some that really look good . I guess it comes down to how you paint the car . Using one or the other as a design or flames will be good .
    Just don't paint half the car in gloss and the other in flat . That just doesn't look good that was . Just looks like an unfinished paint job .
    BTW , what do you have in mind ?

RetroJim

21. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

this is a nice one I dont know anything about this car just love the photo.

Attached Files:

22. Add some flake to that black/charcoal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

RetroJim, just the typical '56 210 two-tone, but in probably satin and gloss. Rich Rogers sent me a pic of his '55 done that way, but the angle made it hard to tell. I;m hoping someone can photoshop up the combo for me so I have a better idea. If I don't like it I'll probably go black & white. I don't think flames or pinstripes on a '56 would be what I want.
    That bug and caddy looked pretty cool.

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This looks amazing dude!
    I always wondered how you do flake on black, could you shed some light
    on it? i mean, what color base and what color flake, what candy (if any)
    and so on? I'd appreciate it very much.

I have tons on the bug, it was built by a friend of Jimmy Shine (at least i seem to rememer it this way)
    at the same time of his bare metal pick up. I have a few pics, i'll dig'em out for ya.

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

49 sled flat black with gloss black metalflake flames,

Attached Files:

26. LULL

LULL

Its Off topic....but the closest i have is my Ducati, I use gloss black, flack black, and LineX on the tank. So here it is for what its worth.

Attached Files:

• duc.jpg
      duc.jpg
      File size:
      66.4 KB
      Views:
  27. Bull

Bull

28. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Derrick from All Star Hot Rods did a 59 F100 this way. I dont have any pix of the finished product but I can tell you it looks awesome!

Attached Files:

29. SteadyT

SteadyT

Here is an O/T 69 Dart. I like how subtle the gloss is on the tail stripe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Thats the exact one I was thinking of. Need to get picture it looks real nice!