Register now to get rid of these ads!

The one that got away...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cash and a trailer is king :)

3. Sure seems that way and a handshake and a persons word is for sale to the highest bidder.... This kinda reminds me of a story on another website about a guy who found an OT super rare muscle car in a garage where it had sat for many years. Nobody even knew it still existed until he tracked the car down and made an offer on it. The dickering commenced and he agreed to pay the sellers asking price and a verbal agreement was made. Since the car was several states away it was a little while before the buyer could go get the car. Well in his excitement he posted on that website about his "barn find" and gave out a little info that made it possible for some scumbags to figure out where the car was. The day he went to pick up the car the sellers phone was ringing off the hook with guys staying at a local motel with truck & trailer in tow trying to buy the car for more money than the asking price. Fortunately in this case the seller was a standup guy and stuck with the gentlemans agreement had had with the guy who did all the work to locate the car. panhead_pete I'm kinda curious from reading your post which kind of guy you are. The kind who truly believes that money takes precidence over everything else no matter what or an old school "man of honor" Times sure are changing and not for the best I'm afraid. In the case of this 36 Ford in the post I'm on the fence. The buyer was the guys best friend and helped build the car. Did the widow have a way to contact you in Hawaii to give you a heads up and let you make a counter offer ? Did you have a deposit on the car ? This story has some grey area so I reserve my opinion pending more details..

4. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

I was told about a 39 Ford coupe last summer. The guy in his 80's had owned the car for over 25 years. He had told a few people around town he was going to sell the car but when I called him about the car he kinda backed out on me. I kept in touch with him and after about 6 months he agreed to sell the car for $1000.00 more than he had first priced it. He said he had started going over what he had tied up in it and couldn't take any less. I had only talked to him over the phone at this point. He said to come on over and take a look at the car. I took the cash and trailer , not wanting to give him another chance to back out. I've talked to several people since I bought the car that had tried to buy it also and he always backed out on them.

Sorry to hear you missed the coupe. I didn't really think I would get my 39 , I had almost gave up. Just keep your eyes open and keep looking you never know.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice car! ! feel your pain.
    You said you had no real money and were leaving for a Hawaiian vacation. The Million $ question: Would your Wife cancel the vaca in order to buy the car? Prolly not, so at least it went to a good home-the guy's friend who had worked on the car and had some sweat in it.

6. Labold

Labold

They say the hunt is as good as the treasure.
    ...guess they have never had a car bought out from under them.

Not to take the other guy's side at all but I do think it is cool one of his friend's ended up with it.

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

I recently bought an OT car as a daily driver. (A fairly rare piece nowadays, but OT all the same).

It was in the local trader paper which comes out Thursday and I didn't see it until Friday night. I figured for sure it had sold already. I called saturday afternoon. (working midnights and I had to sleep a bit) LOL.

He still had it. I took the amount I was willing to pay with me. I've also had items sold out from under me. The car was what I was looking for. I made him an offer and pulled the money out to show him I was a buyer at the figure I stated. (about 12% less than asking price).

It was backed out of the garage and on it's way home right then.

8. 56truk

56truk
    from piqua,ohio

The sad thing is "money always talks" great story and at least the pics are treasures!

9. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Tough to losse a deal like that, But you handled it like a true gentleman.

10. rainh8r

rainh8r

I've been there too many times. My first rule (now) about going to look at any car that's been sitting for years is to be ready to remove it the day you go to see it. As soon as a non-enthusiast seller (and sometimes even a car person) talks to their friends ("I just sold Dave's car today-do you think I did alright?") there will be someone they knoiw that will offer more. At that point you are done-friends/relatives will always win that contest. Either take cash and a trailer, or enough money to seal the deal while you figure out how to get it off their property now-even if it's to a storage yard. Paying for it will usually (not always) work, but I've had my money returned when I got back with the trailer and their "friends" were taking it away.

11. Uptown83

Uptown83

Cool story and its a shame that it got away but hell it sounds like it went to a good home anyways. also i think your at fault just as much as the lady for not having the money to pay her right away. Like one guy said Cash and Trailer is King!

12. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

jay, sounds tough but it also sounds like it went to a good home.
    if the guy did indeed wrench on it and knows its history, thats a good thing.

maybe, you should keep him on your "friends list" since it seems you know of him "friend thru a friend" kinda way. maybe someday you're name will come to mind if he decides to let it go.??

just thinkin positive!

13. Vorhese

Vorhese

Ouch
    I've had that happen a few times with motorcycles. People's word seems to not mean much anymore. I was 5 minutes away from a buy, driving a friend's truck, cash in hand, and I called the seller to confirm, at which time he informed me someone just came by 5 minutes earlier and bought it. Took off day of work, drove 3 hours, borrowing someone's truck. Awesome.

14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NHBandit not sure what you were trying to imply but I was just meaning when you go to buy something buy it and take it on the spot. Even if you only take it to a nearby temporary storage. Im hoping to look at a 34 coupe shortly and if the deal is done I'll be taking it with me :)

My post had nothing to do with over buying someone or selling something that is altready sold. I have the opposite problem most times, guys who say they wanna buy then never show with the cash.

BTW Guys thinking you have a deal before you are there is just a tad silly IMHO. How many times have you looked at something and decided no once you are there........

Anyway thanks for the original post, love reading stories about the chase :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  15. 49coupe

49coupe

Sorry to hear about the deal. You were definately closer, but I have a similar story. I came across a cryptic ad in Hemmings regarding a '51 Ford convertible. The asking price was modest. Figuring it was pretty rough, I decided to give the guy a call anyway. There was only one picture and the guy didnt' have a computer.

I got on great with the seller and I spent over an hour on the phone talking to him about the and he did a "walk around" with me on the phone describing the condition of everything I asked for. At the end I told him I'd take the car because it was in much better condition than I anticpated. I would have liked pictures, but I knew it wasn't going to last long at this price. I wanted his address so that I could send him the money and then make arrangements to get the car the next week. He said he wouldn't accept a deposit (i.e. sale) until he sent me more pictures which he would do the next day and mail them to me, but to "consider it sold". After a week, I had not received the pictures so I called him. Turn out someone local turned up and he sold the car to them. Great. So I know kind of how you feel.

16. rusty28a

rusty28a

Strike while the iron is hot! "Had another guy look at it before you and he said he would be back but he didn't give me any money so I guess the car is yours". As I drove out of the trailer park with the car and parts loaded up behind me, a guy pulls up pulling a trailer and boy he looked pissed! True Story!

17. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Thats a horrible story.....thats for ruining my day ! All kiddin aside that truely does suck.

18. That fuckin blows................sorry man.

19. flamed34

flamed34

I had it happen to me multiple times...but two of 'em were the hardest.

The first, when I was 16 and looking for a rod project, I came across a 1933 Willys Model 77 sedan...all there, solid, and a steal at $200 bucks! The car was about 10 minutes from my house! I drove there, looked at it, explained I needed to wait for my father to get home to come get it. Owner said no problem, it was mine. My father got home, we loaded up and went to get it....and pulled in the driveway in time to meet another truck and trailer pulling out with it!

There was another O/T rare optioned muscle car about a year later...I looked at it, made the deal, put money down...and again had to wait for my father. This time when we got there, it was already gone...I did get my down payment back, but...A few months later I saw the same car. The new owner bought it and gave it to his daughter for her first car. I struck up a conversation with her, and ended up dating her while trying to talk her out of the car (not necessarily only for the car). I almost had convinced her to sell it to me when she rolled it....the dating ended soon after!

20. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

What was your offer for the car?
    I ask becuase Ive seen people buy the "widows" car with good intentions of buying low, selling high. If you make a offer and cant buy at that time, its just a offer no matter what the seller says.
    It was cool that you handeld it well with the return of the paper work. I dont think I could have, maybe sold the title to the guy that bought it from the widow.

21. woodbox

woodbox

You are better off without it any way man....the driver side arm rest is missing....you know how hard they are to get !!
    Bad luck!

22. Blubyu

Blubyu
    from Troy, MI

That's one of the worst I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing.

It makes me feel better about my story. It will only take a second. When I was in High School I used to pass a Garage every day to and from school. There was a completely restored 68 Dodge Charger deep red with the factory black stripes and Vynil top sitting out front. It would sit there with a car cover on it in the winter and then out in the sun in the summer. It sat there for almost 4 years. I washed dishes for years at a restaurant saving and saving! One day when I had about eight grand, mind you I'm fifteen or sixteen I called the guy up and asked him how much he wanted for the car. He tells me 15k. Oh I forgot to tell you it was an R/T with a 440. He wanted 15k for it. well anyways I was so happy I made a chart and put it on my door in my bedroom as a kid and figured out how long it would take me to make the money to get the 15k. Well my old man shut me down time after time. A loan was out of the question. So I think I saved up to around 11k. One day it disapeared off the lot and I stopped in and looked in the shop windows and they had just pulled it inside because they had room to put it inside. WHew! That scared me. I called and told the guy that I wanted the car and I was saving for it. Then one day I drove past and all the bay doors were open and there were nothing but Corvettes in the bays and out front of his shop. I remember stopping my car and running in his front door because in my mind that car was mine already. I asked him what happened to the Charger. Did it go into storage. He told me it was Sold. I swear to you I almost cried. I had no emotion. I was just empty. This was back in 1994 and ever since, a car like that in the shape it was in. I'll never be able to touch one under 25k. I totally understand your situation. That 68 Charger was in Russell/Chagrin Falls Ohio at a Garage on 306 right at an intersection. That was my first love. Man, I was having a good day too. I need to stop now.:(

Thanks for the story, I'm sure everyones got one.

23. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

ouch. yea, thats pretty damn lame, but you were a gent and even in the beginning you were pretty damn up front with her....so maybe you're in the line up for something better thats comming your way yet? seems like a stretch from what you almost had, but who knows? none the less, sorry it escaped ya

24. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

is it bad i wish someone would of bought it out from under him because he was an idiot for bragging about it on the internet, before he actually had purchased it?

25. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

as for the original posters situation... i wouldnt be able to sleep that car is sweet.

screwed over by a little old lady, shitty

26. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

I found and bought a 1933 Chevrolet 2 door sedan. The original owner (who was in his nineties and blind at this point) said another young guy was talking to him about the car, but hadn't come up with the money ($50 dollars, honest!). I bought the car and towed it home. I called my best friend to come over and see it. We were in High School then, around 1967-68. Well, he came over and it turned out he was the guy who was looking at it ! He was understandably ticked off, but after I got it running, we had many fun rides in it. He has never let me forget that I "drilled" him when I bought the car. Everything was alright pretty quickly, although I did think about letting him have the car! Glad I got over that !

27. Terry O

Terry O

Jay this was never a good deal for you. If you had done everything right, had the cash and the trailer at her home that night that you agreed on a price, signed the paperwork and took the car home, she would have eventually found out what the car was worth much more. Even though you were honest with her and told her it was worth more money she would have forgotten that part and might have caused a real problem for you at your job. When you buy from a friend or a neighbor or someone who can effect you daily life, you've got to pay retail and even then it's not a good idea IMHO.

Terry

28. sololobo

sololobo

bUCKIN fUMMER!! ~sOLOLOBO~

29. Never trust an old lady.

30. gottarod

gottarod
    from bandera,tx

it's happened to me once or twice, but always chalked it up to being the best... i would have hocked or sold something that i didn't want to just to get my hands on the piece... but it don't make it feel any better... does it?