Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crashed my car. It sucks. I'm hurt.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Relatves were in town so I decided to take my father in law for a ride. Weather was nice. Didn't even have to push the car out of the driveway and coast out of ear shot since my daughter was awake and inside decorating cookies with my wife.

Fired it up and eased out into the street. Cruised around the corner, opened the choke and let 'er rip. Full bore down the parkway. Motor didn't sound quite right though. Coasted back into the driveway and shut it off right in front of the shop to have a look. Number four sparkplug had backed out somehow. No big suprise since I just got around to retorquing the heads last weekend and the car has been on the road for a few months. I haven't stopped to take a look at anything else. So I tightened it and went inside.

After hanging out with the family for a bit I couldn't take it. I had to go back out and see if that was what was causing the problem. Start it up and see how it sounds. Maybe I'll jump in and tear around the block one more time. Standing next to the car I reached inside, flipped the key and hit the start button.

The car started rolling so I grabbed the cowl and planted my foot to stop it. It took me a second to realize what was going on and the two things that happened next were nearly simultanious. The first was I realized the car was actually running and in gear, not rolling...and the second thing is that I was starting to be ran over by my own car. It drove right up the back of my heel and over my ankle. I'm no stranger to ankle injuries, but skateboarding accidents tend to wrench them in. This was different. It hurt much worse. I suppose it's good I didn't get a broken leg or completely jacked and ran all the way over - I was able to pull my foot free - or at least move myself at enough of an angle so the car didn't continue up the back of my leg. Pop, crunch, and I was free.

I stepped back and just watched my hot rod continue the last six feet down the drive and smash into my garage door. Distroyed it. Splinters and broken glass everywhere. I reached in, flipped the key off and limped back to the house rubbing my head in disbelief. Fuck.

Didn't tell my wife I was hurt but let her and her dad know what had just happened. She looked outside and was pissed for about a second - then she realized I wasn't feeling too great about the situation myself and said, "I think we needed to replace that door anyway." And boys, this among many other reasons is why my wife rules.

So looks like I'm spending some dough on a new garage door...and a neutral safety switch if I can figure out how to do it on my car. Think I should add e-brake cables and drum retainers to the list too.

Things could have definitely been a lot more ugly but I'm still bummed it happened. I'm a chump for not checking to see if the car was in gear like I normally do. Be careful with this stuff. Cars are heavy and sometimes not very forgiving.

Stogy likes this.
  2. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

wow. Glad you're "OK".....considering.... :eek:

3. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

how are you doing?(physically,i know mentally you're pissed)...i hope you didn't get hurt too bad.

how's the car?...it's good to have a cool wife,isn't it?
    keep us posted on how you're feeling:(

4. I go pogo

I go pogo

SORRY Guy! I hope nothing is too broken.

5. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Kevin, that does suck.

The garage door can be replaced.

The car can be fixed(you did not say what happened to the roadster), but hope the foot is going to be ok.

6. Boy, I hated to read this, Kevin. Fuck the garage door and the car will get repaired. I hope the ankle will heal OK. Really sux man.
    Bil

7. jangleguy

jangleguy

Glad you're still walking and talking! That could've been a whole lot worse...And you learned some stuff, too - bonus! Your wife sounds cool, too...

8. Snake9t9

Snake9t9

Hope you're okay. You didn't say if the car was damaged, but like the door, it's fixable. Damn good thing that you wern't hurt more seriously.
    On a very serious note....this is not the first story about a car getting started in gear, that has resulted in injury, that I have read on the HAMB. Make sure you use a nuetral safety switch on your hot rod! A very simple install that could prevent a serious accident.

9. KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Wish I could say something, but its seems everyone has covered it so far. Hope your ankle mends quike so you can fix your roadster.

Jonney

10. mr.midnite

mr.midnite

11. Gosh Kev- I hate to hear you were hurt..Hope you get back in shape soon...the car and a garage door are bad enough but at least its a wake up call -it could have run over someone else, which would of made you feel even worse...
    Guys a neutral safety switch is about the next more important thing besides brakes!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

Man that'a a real bummer. Hope your not to bad off. And hope the car didn't get to mangled.

13. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

it probably doesnt help,but...

,,at least you didint do like my buddy Big Steve did once ...

after a night or two(or 3) of crystal meth he decided to return back home in his 65 chevelle SS,on parkway st. a long downward sweeping road
    he fell asleep and after arriving at the bottom of the incline managed to drive into a neighbors garage,sideswipping said neighbors late sixties califorina special mustang ,then, proceding into the neighbors kitchin,and finally coming to a rest in their living room...

..see,things could be worse!

at least your alright! some kind of clutch pedal switch would work,..

14. Isaak_M

Isaak_M
    from LV/WA

That's bad news
    Hope your ankle checks out OK.

OLDSMAN likes this.
  15. Muttley

Muttley

:eek: :eek: Get well soon.

16. ray

ray
    from colorado

ouch!

lets all learn form your pain, and make sure our rides have some kind of neutral safety switch/clutch lock out device! this is the second hamber to do this in about a year, wasn't it Don at the egorama that this happened to also?

this morning, while tending to some details on the car i'm buildin for my girlfriend, i had to change the oil pan gasket, once done i wanted to move the car to work on another, but not run the engine yet, to give the sealer time to set, so i hopped in and "drove" it away with the starter motor, effortlessly. the car ain't exactly a hot rod, a falcon, wiith a transplanted 250/t-5, but this drives home how effortlessly that car could drive right over a person, just with the starter motor. i'm taking care of that tomorrow!

my other project for the weekend, something worth mentioning while on the safety topic, is replacing the single chamber master cylinder on my riviera with a dual chamber master cylinder that i got from the junkyard this week. i actually stayed home from the tri-state swap meet to get the brakes upgraded! i feel better about my decision now.

hit Ryan up for some of his pain pills! you'll need em tomorrow.

17. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

WOW!
    I hope you heal fast and get it back together.

18. I know that feeling.. kind of a deep ache... hope everything gets put back ok.

My wife is the same way, if she knows I'm mad or bummed she figures there's no reason we should both be that way... good woman.

19. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Everybody does really stupid stuff sometime or another. At least it is all fixable. Still sux though.

I think the bright side is that you get to reassure yourself how kickass your wife is! Not that you had any doubt.

20. jonnycola

jonnycola

Like everyone else said... at least you didn't get hurt real bad. Did the car get fucked up real bad? I mean, if it broke the garage door it had to do some damage. I'm sure there's some way to run a neutral saftey switch with that transmission... probably just some sort of micro-switch with a contact on the gearshift for it to push against.

My dad and I restored this little N600 Honda when I was like, 12 years old, cause I wanted a Mini Cooper someday...and it was absolutely cherry. Easily a 99 point show car. So this past summer I get in it to take it for a spin... open the garage door, get in... start the car, and I pushed in the clutch. I shifted it into reverse and as I went to shut the door the clutch cable snapped and the shot out the garage backwards, hyper extended the door, ruined it and the front fender, the garage door track, and all the trim on the drivers side.

I feel your pain... the fact that your wife didn't shit a brick is awesome. My dad wasn't as understanding.

Like I said, glad nothing (including you) isn't hurt beyond repair.

21. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I think a similar thing happened to Boom Boom and his bucket just after P&P.
    At least your all right and you get a new door. Now is your chance to go insulated!

Neutral safety's are good. I ran over my brother with a golf cart once. Would have saved him a few teeth if that cart had one!

Heal up.

RASHY

22. av8jon

av8jon

Grim, Sorry to hear of your misfortune, that's soooo easy to do!! I'm sure you don't feel it but you were real lucky. Sounds like minimal damage from what could have been a real catastrophe. By the way, how did your new nose and grille fare? If you figure out a neutral safety switch for the old tranny, I'd like to have one too! I'm all the time just reaching in and firing it up at shows and cruise ins when people want to hear mine run which is frequent. That could really be a disaster with people all around. I always check the shifter even though I always park on the level and leave in neutral but it only takes one time of being distracted and getting in trouble. It sounds like your's is running on the first crank like mine. Maybe someone out there knows a good simple way to rig a safety switch. Hope your ankle isn't damaged more than your morale.

Take care,

23. Radshit

Radshit

Damn....thankfully you survived with little injury!.....It's nice to be able to hold your kids and watch 'em grow up.......garage doors and hot rods are just material things.

Plus, you have a good " I almost bought the Farm" story to tell the homies years from now.....

24. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

I'm sorry to hear that and hope you feel better but dude get that ankle checked! you don't wan't to to blow off an injury like that.

years agoe I had a Pontiac Catilina as a Demolition derby car. I would always disable the neutrial safty switch and lock it out of park so i wouldn't accidently pop it into park while racing. well we were having trouble getting it to run and Afriend of mine had just poured some gas in the carb and told my brother specifically to get into the car, put his foot on the brake, and start it up, guess what, he reaches in the window and hits the key. The thing was in reverse and started taking off down the pits with me on the trunk lid and my buddy hanging on the window trying to shut it off. Suddenly he slipped and fell right under the front tire. It rolled up his leg from the knee to his hip and just at that moment ran out of the gas in the carb, shut off, and rolled down off his leg. Amazingly he was left with only a bad bruse. The doctors were even baffled as to why his knee didn't explode but he was about 6'2, 250 lbs so that probibly had something to do with it.

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

Damn that's a bummer. I had an early jeep in college. It had a foot starter and would start in gear. When my buddies found out how fun it was, they burnd-up my starter for me. I hope you're all right.

26. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

everyone keep saying neutral saftey switch,those are what they call them on automatics,,

you need a clutch switch opperated of your clutch pedal in the same manor a brake light switch works,(when the pedal is fully depressed the switch makes contact like as if you had a kill switch in the ignition switch) continuity of power.

,it works only when the clutch pedal is engadged...really simple to fab up

27. Rolf

Rolf

Bummer, Grim.

Heal up, fix the damage and you will forget it ever happened !

Take care,

28. BELLM

BELLM

Hope your ankle is ok. I forgot, what kind of tranny you running?

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Grim, Sorry to hear this and hope everything is on the mend. I'm glad you didn't end up in the hospital. I just got out and can confirm that they suck. Heal up so I don't have to come out there and take that car away from you. Can you imagine how much fun an old fart like me would have tooling around in that thing? I don't think you'd ever get it back.:D

Frank

30. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

I pulled a "leave the door open in the garage" on my 60 f-100 and watched it jump out of park and for some odd reason rev really high as it backed out of the garage. Ruined a fender, hinges and a door.

There's nothing worse then watching your car get wrecked and there's nothing you can do about it. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad -The Catholic