Register now to get rid of these ads!

***how to widen a wheel*** PART 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rod pro, Jan 15, 2010.

1. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

when i was building my 32 truck i found out that 32-34 ford wire wheels were 3 1/2" wide not 4" like the 35 wires. the only way to run 7.00 on my 32 ford 18" wires was to make them wider. it seams that i have started a new trend with some of my customers. this is where this tech comes from, hope ya'll enjoy.

PART 1

i have an old ford axle that i use to mount the wheel in a large laith. i cut the wheel on the back side to keep stock look of the early ford wire on the outside. i have found that cutting the wheel where the tire sits gives a stronger wheel with less chance of warpage. with using a laith, you can cut the wheel true and straight. this gives a nice edge to add metal to. any large machine shop can do this. tell them to turn it really slow, these wheels ring like a bell when cutting.

[​IMG]

all steal wheels have a seam where the hoop is rolled into a circle and welded. i cut a line at the seam so i know where the two halves go back together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now that you have cut the wheel it is time to measure for the filler metal. if you measure across the center of the wheel you will have a measurement of 18" on an 18" ford wire wheel. take that number an multiply it by 3.14 and you will get 56.52". that number is the length that the filler metal needs to be. i cut my straps longer to have some wiggle room for mistakes. if you go to a steel supplier you can get strap that is allready cut to width, that will give you a straight cut and a true wheel when done. most wheels are made from 1/8" material, so make shure that you have material the same thickness as the wheel. after you have the strips cut, it is time to roll them into a circle. my small slip roll will roll 1/8" steel strap. if needed have your local steal fab shop roll these for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after you roll them into a circle, start clamping them to the wheel. make shure that the strap is flush with the edge of the wheel. you will see that i have an overlap at the end of the strap. now is the time to trim the strap to length. mark where the strap overlaps and remove the excess. i like to leave a little of a gap to give me a good weld. once it is cut and tacked together, recheck the fit on the wheel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if the hoop fits nice, go ahead and weld it up. if you are planning to grind your welds, grind these welds at this time. i weld all my projects with a tig welder, but you can weld your wheels with a mig as long as you have the heat set high enough to get a good strong weld.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

most metal will be "hot rolled" that you buy in strips. to give you a clean weld blast or grind the areas that you will be welding. after the hoops are clean start tacking them to the wheel. make shure that you jump around when tacking. doing that will keep the hoop from getting out of round. while you are tacking, keep the edges pulled together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. DrJ

DrJ

added on to #1

3. DrJ

DrJ

Added on to #1

4. DrJ

DrJ

Thanks for the cool post!
    Now all the info will be in one place.

You didn't suggest gas welding as an option.... Any reason?

Sorry all you guys still on dial up...:(

5. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

That is awesome. Very good photos and explanation--nice work!

6. Wow! Very impressive work!

7. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

thanks for cleaning all it up.

-danny

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Danny, how many shop hours to do one wheel?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

man thats a cool tech, just might need to find some wheels like these and try it out :)

10. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

awesome post , great tech !

11. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i don't gas weld, that's why.

-danny

12. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

it takes about 1 1/2 days to do a pair when grinding all the welds. a day without grinding the welds.

-danny

13. slammedchieftan

slammedchieftan

Great tech article, great work.

14. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

can original wire wheels be straightened and trued before doing this...any companies doing it?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i have them done after i'm finished. there is a shop down the road from me that fixes trashed wheels. a-1 wheel 281 376-9477 talk to richard.

-danny

17. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

tech thread mods, would you add this to the contest list. i want to try for larry's money.:D

18. stretch1963

stretch1963

19. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Nice quality work!Thanks for posting.

20. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thank you sir, Great post. Slim

21. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Tech!! Thanks for posting

22. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Very cool great idea.

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lol, I'm not a mod, I just started doing the lists during tech week since I hate trying to chase it all down. But it's been added.

24. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Damn Bruce, that's beautiful work. I've wondered for years exactly what the process involved, although what you show is pretty much what I imagined...just nice to see it all put together in a picture spread. Thank you! DD

25. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

stop by if you are in the spring area.

-danny

26. Nice job! What did you use to grind the money side of the wheel? 2" air grinder?

27. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

I use a 3" angle grinder. A 2" hits the wheel center not letting you get close enough to grind the inside welds.

-Danny

28. Unfortunately this mod is illegal here in New Zealand. Damn shame, I'd love to widen my rear 16s.

29. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Is mounting and removing tires hard to do when you widen that area of the wheel? Usually you have to squeeze the bead of the tire down in the valley of the wheel to get enough room on the other side to get the bead over the rim.

30. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Excellent tech.

Have you thought about using the lathe to finish the welds? I'd imagine there's gotta be some time savings with the right setup