Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
xhotrodder

Default Running Diesel fuel through a gas engine?

For years I have heard by different people, that you can run a small amount of diesel fuel through a gas engine, without hurting it; and you clean out the inside at the same time. Kind of like steam cleaning it. I've always thought it was B.S., but figured I'd post on here and find out for sure. I know there has to be some great mechanics on here. So, what is the truth?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
goldhunter_2

Default Re: Running Diesel fuel through a gas engine?

I don't know about diesel fuel but we run aircraft fuel through everything now and then to clean it out. I know this works because I can tell the difference on the inside when I do rebuilds the ones who run straight aircraft fuel every couple tanks or a 50/50 mix every now and then are pretty clean pump gas is not. see allot of the bikers and others doing the same , I have put it in my airboat, truck, car, fourwheel, lawnmower and it ain't hurt nothing ........ but diesel I never heard that be interesting to see what is said about it I'll have to watch this thread
Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
hotrod-Linkin
Old School HAMBer

you will wash down the cylinder walls and bearing surfaces and ruin a good engine. the gas rings will not stop the diesel from getting into the engine.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
patrick66
Old School HAMBer

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

A gas-Diesel mix, I could maybe see, with a 20-1 or 30-1 mix, and in a SMALL quantity...but straight Diesel is an absolute no-no. Diesel, kerosene, and Jet-A are very, very close to one another, but gasoline is not.

I surely would not do it just to "clean things out"!
Screw with your neighbors...name your Wi-Fi network "NSA Surveillance Van #6"...
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Hyway Hauler

Diesel fuel will not hurt the engine..As far as cleaning it, maybe, but I'm skeptical, because the fact that diesel is oil, and it could end up sludging your engine. I've found the best way to clean the engine innards is to warm up the engine to opperating temp, remove air cleaner, and while throttling up the engine manually with one hand, gradually poor about 1 cup of water...The trick here is to not let the engine stall. The heat of the engine turns the water into steam during combustion, and rids the engine components of carbon deposits on valves and top of pistons. I think diesel fuel will only make the engine run too rich.
I've also heard of old timers runing a quart of ATF in with the oil, but never tried it because of the lack of lubrication properties in ATF, and the high concentration of detergents...
Old 01-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Rich Rogers

I don't know about todays fuels but years ago when I worked at a local store, a guy filled a truck with a gas engine with diesel fuel and ended up calling a wrecker. It dropped dead before it got out of the pump island area
Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Happy Hooker
FNG

It would more than likely end up in the oil pan. I realy couldnt see it doing much good.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Hyway Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rogers View Post
I don't know about todays fuels but years ago when I worked at a local store, a guy filled a truck with a gas engine with diesel fuel and ended up calling a wrecker. It dropped dead before it got out of the pump island area
The engine will not run too good, but nothing is ruined...as said before, diesel fuel is simply oil.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Ditto running some water through with the revs up. You'll see a big ol' belch of carbon out the pipes. Don't know how effective it is over-all, but it sure blows some crud out.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Hackerbilt
Old School HAMBer

Years ago, a young guy I knew (Gas jockey) was told to run Diesel thru his 289 Ford Mustang by a much older co-worker...as in "replace the oil" and let it idle for a half hour or so to "clean out" the engine.
He did it and you wouldn't believe how much guck and junk actually came out of the engine when he drained the Diesel out!
He put on a new filter and refilled with new 10w30 and restarted the now internally spotless engine.
The first drive was to a chorus of knocks and rattles that hadn't been there before.

Ultimately the engine was pulled out and sent off to the machine shop for a total rebuild.
It was a painful and expensive lesson.
Engine sure was clean though...
Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhunter_2 View Post
I don't know about diesel fuel but we run aircraft fuel through everything now and then to clean it out. I know this works because I can tell the difference on the inside when I do rebuilds the ones who run straight aircraft fuel every couple tanks or a 50/50 mix every now and then are pretty clean pump gas is not. see allot of the bikers and others doing the same , I have put it in my airboat, truck, car, fourwheel, lawnmower and it ain't hurt nothing ........ but diesel I never heard that be interesting to see what is said about it I'll have to watch this thread
I agree with that, I never put diesel in anything. But cam2 and aircraft fuel, hell yeah.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
xhotrodder

Thanks for all the information guys. I appreciate it. I knew I could get the right answer on here.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackerbilt View Post
Years ago, a young guy I knew (Gas jockey) was told to run Diesel thru his 289 Ford Mustang by a much older co-worker...as in "replace the oil" and let it idle for a half hour or so to "clean out" the engine.
He did it and you wouldn't believe how much guck and junk actually came out of the engine when he drained the Diesel out!
He put on a new filter and refilled with new 10w30 and restarted the now internally spotless engine.
The first drive was to a chorus of knocks and rattles that hadn't been there before.

Ultimately the engine was pulled out and sent off to the machine shop for a total rebuild.
It was a painful and expensive lesson.
Engine sure was clean though...
I had an old guy tell me something VERY similar. He told me to run kerosene at idle for 10-15 minutes. But he told me to run a 50/50 blend with fresh oil. Being young I tried it. Lots of crud came out like you said. Maybe I got lucky, It didnt rattle and clunk when I filled it with fresh oil. Did dirty that oil real quick though.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
blitz
Grenade Inspector

i have was told that running diesel through a motor is like trying to start a 2 stroke with starter fluid. pulls oil way from place's its gotta be. i saw the results on a 50 dollar dirtbike wouldent want to see it in a couple thousand dollar motor.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
mattybear

I have done the carb trick before but used sea foam. It smoked like a beast for a bit but then ran a lot smoother.

Vintage Torque Fest 2012
Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
4tl8ford

I'm an old guy and when I was young had old guys tell me-----
I've heard of running every thing from av-gas to elephant piss thru an engine to "Clean it out". The only clean engine I've seen after tear down was a Hemi that I ran 115/145 avgas in - not a spot of carbon or crud - not even in the hole thru the top of the piston.
I ran too much for too long - but the bitch ran hard.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
CJ Steak

If you want a clean combustion chamber, use Sea Foam at the next two oil changes, or do the water trick.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
narlee
Grenade Inspector

Don't know about the diesel but water works, it's just a matter of how much. I know it works because of a blown head gasket, it went between a water port and the cylinder. That one cylinder was clean as could be and luckily I didn't hydraulic the piston and bend a rod or something. At one time you could get a kit that would inject water as you drove. It was supposed to prevent detonation and run cooler, good for more compression.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
J&JHotrods

ATF does work similar to water when poured through the carb. Smokes like crazy too. I learned the hard way though-many years ago when I was around 15 working at a tire shop, one of the mechanics decided it would be cute to pull a prank on me. I had to go to a different store to pick up some tires and they poured about 1/2 qt. down my carb. when I wasn't looking and laughed as I pulled away, smoke billowing out the exhaust, etc...it does an incredible job of burning off carbon deposits. Actually ran a little better once it burned off.
That being said, let it trickle in, just like using water in the same manner. Do not pour a whole quart in without it running-it will hydra-lock. Ask me how I know.............
Old 01-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
42hotrod

We used to drain the oil out, put a quart of tranny fluid in with 3 or 4 quarts of clean oil before taking the filter off, let them idle a bit then clean em out and change the oil. You wouldn't believe the crap that would come out!

Now...fast forward to today. With the high detergent motor oils out there this would be pointless. If an engine recieves somewhat regular oil changes they stay pretty clean.

I remember a Pontiac 389 I tore down once. I took the drain plug out and nothing came out. I thought it was empty, but no, the dipstick said it had oil...I stuck a small screwdriver in the drain hole, and GLOP....GLOP...GLOP...pure sludge...that went on for a couple minutes, then finally it started draining. this was a RUNNING ENGINE!! Got the valve covers off, and the sludge was so thick there were impressions dented in the black goo where the valve springs were going up and down. Almost everything else was buried in sludge right up to the rockers.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
troylee

How about multi fuel tractors and trucks. Like the army 2 1/2 with White engines. You can put anything in those things.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #22
chopolds
Old School HAMBer

That old chestnut of a tale used to be to run it instead of oil, to clean out the crancase, NOT to run it with or instead of gasoline.
Only time I tried it, I needed to rebuild the engine a few short months later. Could be coincidence, maybe not. It WAS an old, uncared for engine. If you don't watch, it could loosen up all the sludge in the engine, clog up the oil pickup, and lose your oil pressure.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
il Revrunde
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIL.TIMMYUser Name View Post
Ditto running some water through with the revs up. You'll see a big ol' belch of carbon out the pipes. Don't know how effective it is over-all, but it sure blows some crud out.
This works but you gotta do it right. Just pouring water in your carb is a sure fire way to jack things up. Use a spray bottle and mist the venturi while at a high idle a few times. thats all you need.

53 Bel Air
63 F100
Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #24
SanDiegoJoe
Old School HAMBer

I have done it.. In a 250 Chevy. Ran 3 Qts of 30 weight and 2 Qts of diesel. Started it, ran it around the block, drained it and put in 5 Qts of 30 weight.

It was my dad's idea.

- Joe
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
nutajunka

A guy I knew one time went to replace the valve cover gasket on a slant six. It was so full of crude you could barely make out the rockers and such. He asked me what to do and I told him, just put the new gasket on and forget it. He didn't and scraped all that crude loose and poured cleaner in the crankcase and the next day his oil pressure went to 0. Tore the engine down and every bearing was destroyed from all the crude he lossened up.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #26
mbmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42hotrod View Post
I remember a Pontiac 389 I tore down once. I took the drain plug out and nothing came out. I thought it was empty, but no, the dipstick said it had oil...I stuck a small screwdriver in the drain hole, and GLOP....GLOP...GLOP...pure sludge...that went on for a couple minutes, then finally it started draining. this was a RUNNING ENGINE!! Got the valve covers off, and the sludge was so thick there were impressions dented in the black goo where the valve springs were going up and down. Almost everything else was buried in sludge right up to the rockers.
my buddy used to own a shop, and alot of his customer used to swear by Quaker State, his customers cars all had sludge build up so bad there were impressions left by rocker arms in the valve covers...he swears he would never use the QS and told his customers they could take their cars elsewhere if they wanted to use it after they saw what was inside the engine.....that was early 70`s. this is only second hand info, i have no knowledge of this to prove or disprove it.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #27
ThePuck
Grenade Inspector

I have run a 2 stroke gas motor on Jet B in an emergency. It pretty much ruined the motor. The only reason I was able to start and run it was because the motor was already up to temperature on gasoline, and I had to run it on full choke. Oil poured out of the exhaust after a few minutes.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #28
The Hank

Pouring stuff in your oil to clean your motor is a BAD idea. All that Marver mystery oil cleaner stuff or what have you. There is a screen in your oil pan that filters the big stiff from your oil.All that crud will plug that screen and oil won't flow and ruin your motor.

I would be careful with water down the carb, Water does not compress. To much and you could bend a connecting rod.

The only AVgas I have seen was Lo-lead not no lead so I wouldn't run it in a newer car.It might mess up the converter.

Avgas is hi octain the stuff I used to buy was lo-lead 100.I was told AVgas burned slow because all plane motors never revved high. I used it in my race Jet Ski's which were 2 strokes,which did revv high.So I mixed it with pump gas.I was to cheap to buy race gas and was running 195 PSI head pressure in my 2 stroke [ time bomb] which is kinda alot for pump gas with a high revv motor. Probably could have got by with 94?

If it runs good , don't fix it.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #29
Hotrodbuilderny

I worked in a Texaco station back in 70 -71, a friend of mines father use to come in
and drain the oil and filter put 5 quarts of home heating oil [diesel] run for 5 minutes
drain and put 5qts 30 wt non detergent in it was a 64 impala 6 cyl and he still had it when they moved to Florida around 74 -75 he had done this since the car was new
Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #30
briggs&strattonChev

didnt we have this same lengthy discussion about a month ago? This is the only message board I frequent so idk where else it would have been.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #31
BigBlockMopar

"a cup of water" or "just a few times" doesn't get much carbon at all out of the engine.
You would have to spend at least 15 to 30 minutes trickling water down the carb to get any serious effect.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #32
No Cents
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmopar View Post
my buddy used to own a shop, and alot of his customer used to swear by Quaker State, his customers cars all had sludge build up so bad there were impressions left by rocker arms in the valve covers...he swears he would never use the QS and told his customers they could take their cars elsewhere if they wanted to use it after they saw what was inside the engine.....that was early 70`s. this is only second hand info, i have no knowledge of this to prove or disprove it.

I used Quaker State for years, After seeing inside a motor that used only QS I have never used it again. The motor was FULL of sludge and gunk. Although, the main and rod bearings looked great?!?! (It was tore down because of a cracked head)
Old 01-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #33
The Hank

The only reason for non detergent oil is for compressors that I know of , due to the rubber seals ,etc...
Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #34
Henry VIII
Grenade Inspector

The remedy that I've often heard of, but not tried, is to replace the oil with diesel, start the engine on gasoline, rev it up good one time, drain and replace the diesel with engine oil.
I've never heard of running a gasoline engine on diesel.

Back in the day International bulldozers were built to start on gasoline and switch over to diesel after warm. But I don't think it would work the other way around on a car.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #35
35Chevy.com

You cant run a gasoline engine on diesel.
Unless you had a compression ratio of 15 to 1 and probably not then.
End of story

Now lets see some Tech posts.....Its Tech Week

Gary
Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #36
brad chevy
Old School HAMBer

I'm 59 now and when Iwas 14 my old man showed me a good trick that worked great.Take air cleaner off,idle up to about 1200rpm and slowly pour transmission fluid in,smokes like hell,but you won"t believe how much better it runs,also he told me and showed me a gunked up engine caused by using Quaker State oil.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #37
ffr1222k

My dad had a new '57 Ford with a 292. We lived in North Carolina and he was a construction worker. He was working in NY City. I remeber him starting the car and letting it warm up and then backing up to his Mom's kerosene drum and filling the car with kerosene. He mad it to NY.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #38
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhotrodder View Post
I've always thought it was B.S.
And you were right!

Bob
Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #39
wood470
Grenade Inspector

try pourin rice down the carb with the revs up. Works alright if it doesn t stall
Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #40
J&JHotrods

The water or ATF does work. Yea, you can do serious damage if one attempts to just pour it down the carb. I'm only 39, but even the older guys in the shop(at that time)would do it. Picture doing a tune up and pulling out some carbon fouled plugs. Maybe it was just my timeframe, but those wonderful smog cars of the 70's and 80's seemed to always carbon up.
One sharp fella I worked with would grab a clear container, and he'd start with water(you could get away with running it in the shop with water) and unhook a manifold vacuum source, raise the idle accordingly, and let it slurp in the H20 in a controlled manner through the vacuum hose. If he noticed carbon on the plug, he stuck it back in, ran the water or atf, sustain around 3000 r.p.m.s to light it up and burn it off, and then got back to the tune up.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #41
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&JHotrods View Post
ATF does work similar to water when poured through the carb. Smokes like crazy too. I learned the hard way though-many years ago when I was around 15 working at a tire shop, one of the mechanics decided it would be cute to pull a prank on me. I had to go to a different store to pick up some tires and they poured about 1/2 qt. down my carb. when I wasn't looking and laughed as I pulled away, smoke billowing out the exhaust, etc...it does an incredible job of burning off carbon deposits. Actually ran a little better once it burned off.
That being said, let it trickle in, just like using water in the same manner. Do not pour a whole quart in without it running-it will hydra-lock. Ask me how I know.............
I've posted it before but I used to use atf slowly dribbled down the carb with the engine running abut 1500/2000 rpm and then slapping the air cleaner back on and taking off up the road. Best to do it way out of town away from anyone's house thought as it will put out a smoke cloud that is unreal. I did it to clean the built up carbon out of my grandfather's 71 Dodge 318 and had to do it about every two months. I've also done it a bunch using a bottle of water dribbled down the carb the same way and diesel will probably work about the same. It used to take about ten miles before that Dodge would really get cleared out and get up and run and it would run fine until he idled it too much. He never drove fast in his life and I seriously doubt he ever broke a speed limit but when he got past 70 he slowed down to where his top speed on the highway was about 35 before we had to take the car away from him.

I've heard about putting diesel, trans fluid an other concoctions in the oil and running the engine to clean the sludge out but have never done it or personally witnessed it being done. It was usually something that someone had seen their brotherinlaw or some other guy do.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #42
flamed34

Since diesel won't combust in a gasoline engine, if you tried to run straight diesel you'd end up hydro-locking the engine...you'd get the same results as running straight water. Diesel burns due the heat produced under high compression, not because of a spark induced explosion. Diesel engines compression starts around 16:1 and goes up from there. The heads, blocks, pistons, rods, valves, etc are designed around high compression applications. Your gas engine is not - meaning you'd likely end up with bent rods, valves, damaged bearings etc when it hydro-locks.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #43
vetteracer
Grenade Inspector

G'day, GM makes a product called Top Engine Cleaner. It is designed to pour down the carb of an engine at full operational temp. You pour the cleaner at a controlled rate until about a third of the can is left. You then dump the rest in to kill the engine. You wait about 30 minutes and then restart the engine. Smokes black as black for about 15 minutes but loosens all the carbon in the combustion chamber. You then have to change the oil. I've been using this product for over 20 years and it just plain works. I look at it like this, if it is good enough for GM to recommend it, it should work.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #44
blt2go

i have to agree with flamed34 i'm afraid you would do serious damage with straight diesel. maybe a low ratio mix as stated before. i'm not suggesting anyone try this but a neighbor of mine had me put borax soap (the gritty lye powder soap) in the intake of his diesel tractor while he was throttling up. scared the crap out of me but it helped unseize the rings and cleared the carbon off the valves. ran great. again don't try this on my suggestion.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #45
alfredfromchicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood470 View Post
try pourin rice down the carb with the revs up. Works alright if it doesn t stall
Is that Dry, boiled, or chicken fried rice?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #46
alfredfromchicago

When I was 16 my 75 cutlass developed a bad knock the day after I got it. Fearing a rod knock my dad went to work with the water trick pourin it down the carb. The knock(s) got a lot worse, then cleared up after awhile. It was loose carbon in a 200,000 mile rocket 350. still ran good after that.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #47
narlee
Grenade Inspector

When I worked at a service station about 1969 or 70 it seemed like all the cars that were sludged up "specified Quaker State or Pennzoil". I don't know if it was their blend with paraffin base or they were just people that never got their cars warmed up enough.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #48
narlee
Grenade Inspector

In the mid 50's GM made some blocks with a high nickel content (I think it was nickel if not someone can correct it). They had trouble with the rings seating so they would pour Bon ami down the carb to get them to seat.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #49
Bosco1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteracer View Post
G'day, GM makes a product called Top Engine Cleaner. It is designed to pour down the carb of an engine at full operational temp. You pour the cleaner at a controlled rate until about a third of the can is left. You then dump the rest in to kill the engine. You wait about 30 minutes and then restart the engine. Smokes black as black for about 15 minutes but loosens all the carbon in the combustion chamber. You then have to change the oil. I've been using this product for over 20 years and it just plain works. I look at it like this, if it is good enough for GM to recommend it, it should work.

I have used GM top engine cleaner since the ear;y 70s Worked very well. I had a mech. that worked with me that did the water trick and that also worked.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #50
David Chandler

I've done the kerosene thing. It cleaned out some sludge but also clogged up the oil pump screen, resulting in zero oil pressure. I was lucky as I was watching the pressure and killed the engine as soon as it hit zero. However almost all of these miracle cures are incarnations of snake oil medicine, that only worked if your didn't need them.
I have heard spraying carb cleaner into an engine at high idle is suposed to remove carbon in the combustion chambers, if you use an entire can of the stuff. I've never tried it for that purpose. I know spraying it at idle will usually stall the engine.
But I have and still do use two cycle mixed gas on four cycle engines. I'm too cheap to throw out my old chain saw fuel so it goes into the lawnmover or snowblower. Haven't had any issues with it yet.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #51
Buck Sharp
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlee View Post
In the mid 50's GM made some blocks with a high nickel content (I think it was nickel if not someone can correct it). They had trouble with the rings seating so they would pour Bon ami down the carb to get them to seat.
My father told me about doing it to his sisters car when he was young to what i think was a 50-54? car. It was what they recommended. I thought it was something with the block and rings if i remember right. my dad is now passed. I have heard a gas and diesel mix burning in a motor not a good sound. the rancher made it to town.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #52
Straightpipes

I have a Fordson tractor that runs gasoline, fuel oil, deisel, kerosine or corn liquor if you wish. This engine was designed to run on either gasoline or kerosine. Runs fine on fuel oil or diesel fuel as long as it's warmed up first with gas. Start on gas and shift it to the second fuel tank which runs whichever.-------Oh, it also has a water bathj aircleaner which the intake is baffled through the water to prevent preignition.

So, I guess you can run diesel fuel thru a gas engine.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #53
jandlcars

QS back then if you did not run engine temp up or lots of short runs you would see sludge
QS was a Paraffin base like Pennzoil
i ran it in my 75 Chevy wrecker it ran 615000 mi it was very worn out i kept driving it till i gave the truck to a friend

now Diesel i run 1/2 Qt per 5 gallons of gas in my HD and truck it is oil it is used to help with detonation slows down the burn time like higher octane but with a Little lube

it helps with the 10% ethanol that has no top end lube in any more in FL
or if i am at home i use 100 to 1 2 stroke synthetic oil for top end lube
like the top end oilers used in old days ( marvel Mystery Oil )
Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #54
Fullblast

Sea foam I think has diesel in it, I use it when i put the bikes and car away for the winter, keeps the gas from going bad.
MotoGuzzi Ambassador 750
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #55
Dynaflash_8
Old School HAMBer

My ol man had a 48 ford truck with a flathead and stacks up the back of the cab. told me he use to put around 6 gallons of diesel in the tank so that it would "smoke like a diesel out the pipes"
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #56
EagleFreek
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&JHotrods View Post
When I was a teenager I made a smoke screen machine with an extra windshield washer reservoir filled with ATF and ran a tube to the carb. It was a blast. I wrecked the car and gave the engine to a friend of mine and when he took it apart he said it was spotless inside.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #57
boldventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Steak View Post
If you want a clean combustion chamber, use Sea Foam at the next two oil changes, or do the water trick.
I recently saw some ads for this (SeaFoam) stuff. I'd never heard of it before. Is it a "real" product that actually works? I am by nature suspicious of tune-up in a can products.
My Dad was a Marvel Mystery Oil guy. He'd put some in the gas tank every once in a while.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #58
onlychevrolets

A true story, in 1975 I drove a 1973 Chevrolet pickup from Marietta GA to Toccoa GA ( a little more than a hundred miles )on diesel fuel. No big deal? , well it was a 350 GAS engine in the truck. Some dummy dumped a load of diesel in the regular tank. The truck ran OK but when I cut it off in Toccoa it didn't want to go dead. Crappy gas I thought...well 12 hours later when I tried to start it to come home...it didn't happen. I had to drain the tank in 20 degree weather and fill it with gas...Killed the carb and fuel pump...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #59
bobss396
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
An old timer showed me this around 1975 or so, great for combustion chamber cleaning.

Bob
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #60
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

this is aside of your question..but propane engines are very clean inside, and the oil looks nice and clean for a long long period of time over a gasoline powered combustion engine.

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #61
onlychevrolets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Rigg Fink View Post
this is aside of your question..but propane engines are very clean inside, and the oil looks nice and clean for a long long period of time over a gasoline powered combustion engine.

I was told once that Propane gas is 125 octane.....any body know about this?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #62
czuch
Alliance Member

I put a quart of diesel in every tankfull from Tucson to Chicago in a fuel injected car. 1800 miles and the milage went from 18 to 24. I'm a firm believer in the diesel trick. I just did a mazda and got unbelievable crud from the oil. Let idle for 20 minutes and change. just a half a quart in the old oil and then change it. Watch that pressure though. You might end up doing a screen clean..
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #63
flamed34

Propane runs about 104 octane...some as high as 110, hence propane supplementary injection. It also runs considerably cleaner, meaning less deposits and sludge build up...which equates to dollars for longer oil and engine life.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #64
nofin
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpipes View Post
I have a Fordson tractor that runs gasoline, fuel oil, deisel, kerosine or corn liquor if you wish. This engine was designed to run on either gasoline or kerosine. Runs fine on fuel oil or diesel fuel as long as it's warmed up first with gas. Start on gas and shift it to the second fuel tank which runs whichever.-------Oh, it also has a water bathj aircleaner which the intake is baffled through the water to prevent preignition.

So, I guess you can run diesel fuel thru a gas engine.
Diesel, kerosene, avgas and alcohol are all need high compression to run, I think I read somewhere these multifuel engines have a compression reduction system like on a motorcycle with a kick start to run on gas. Thats why you start and warm up with gas and then move to the (then) cheap stuff.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #65
ThePuck
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofin View Post
Diesel, kerosene, avgas and alcohol are all need high compression to run, .........
Any of these fuels, when in a vaporised state, will ignite with a spark. My oil furnace does this all day, all winter.

The high mechanical compression in a diesel engine is used to start a spontaneous ignition of the timed fuel injection pulse, and thus negate the requirement of an ignition system.

Diesel fuel will run in a gas engine, but not efficiently. And it will actually run better in a low compression gas motor, because diesel will spontaneously ignite with too much heat and compression, causing pre-ignition.

Those old multi fuel tractor engines were very low compression, on the order of 6:1.

I think there's enough people on here that have actually done it, myself included, that you can't simply dismiss the idea.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #66
no55mad
Alliance Member

I was getting diesel for my tractor and put some diesel in the tank of my A for upper end lube. It doesn't take much - that thing smoked and idled rough for quite some time!

note: 'RED FRIDAYS', if you support our troops (men/women in uniform), wear red on Fridays! Spread the word.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #67
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

I just use a few dryer sheets. Smells good too afterwards and the ladies like it. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even bother worrying about it.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #68
Truckedup
Old School HAMBer

Yeah,but it's difficult to get those dryer sheets down the carb,keep getting hung up on the venturi cluster.I'm gonna put them through the blender first.............
Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #69
boldventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
Yeah,but it's difficult to get those dryer sheets down the carb,keep getting hung up on the venturi cluster.I'm gonna put them through the blender first.............
That's what the fuel filter is for...
Fuel filter..? Fuel filter...? we don ned no stinkin' fuel filter....
Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #70
Bearing Burner

I remember people telling that during the war farmers burned kerosene in their tractors
and used the gas for their cars. Started on gas then switched to Kero. Warmed it up by running the fuel line around the exhaust manifold a couple of times to get better combustion. These were low 4-6/1 compression engines.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #71
TraderJack
Grenade Inspector

During WW2 we were allowed 4 gallons of gas a week, and we increased our fuel by using paint thinner , acetone, alcohol, distillate, most anything that would go in the tank.

And that, dear friends, was in a flathead with cam, heads, and duals.

At what time we tried everything.

but then again the engine was pulled about every two or three months to do something to it.

They, actually, sometime, in the 40s came out with a degreaser that you would put the pipe in the drain hole and let it degrease the inside of the engine.

We lived with sludge! But we didn't have the laws against pollution either!

TraderJack
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #72
klitosp
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by czuch View Post
I put a quart of diesel in every tankfull from Tucson to Chicago in a fuel injected car. 1800 miles and the milage went from 18 to 24. I'm a firm believer in the diesel trick. I just did a mazda and got unbelievable crud from the oil. Let idle for 20 minutes and change. just a half a quart in the old oil and then change it. Watch that pressure though. You might end up doing a screen clean..
Hi, reading your post :
"I put a quart of diesel in every tankfull from Tucson to Chicago in a fuel injected car. 1800 miles and the milage went from 18 to 24. I'm a firm believer in the diesel trick. I just did a mazda and got unbelievable crud from the oil. Let idle for 20 minutes and change. just a half a quart in the old oil and then change it. Watch that pressure though. You might end up doing a screen clean.."

I would like to ask you if you still have good results.

Also , did you ever had problems with your catalytic converter?

How big is your tank in order to throw 1 quart of diesel? ( 40 - 60 liters? more? )

Thank you in advance,
Iraklitos
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #73
BAD ROD

I always heard to use water down the carb to clean the engine when I was a kid. I had a Buick V6 that I tried this on and blew a head gasket. Guess I used a bit too much!!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #74
wingspread7
Alliance Member

Quote:
Be very careful to just dribble enough to make the engine choke down a bit, then give it a few seconds to recover, then repeat a few more times. What is actually happening is that the cold water breaks up the carbon on the valves and chambers. If you over pour you'll chill and warp the exhaust valves. I've had great success at this but no more so than with Seafoam which I trust more.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #75
Dog Dish Deluxe
BANNED

I've done the water thing, it seems to help on an old nasty motor. With all the alcohol (ethanol) in the gas these days you are pretty much running water through your engine every time you drive it anyway. (alcohol attracts water)
Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #76
Gromit

Been there done that
(actually a friend at work)
The engine will smoke and kill every mosquito in a 1 mile radius. and you will need to change your oil fouled plugs.

Benefits? maybe. but I dunno.

Narf! - Pinky
Old 08-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #77
Sphynx

I had a 68 rambler and ran out of gas. A friend stopped to help and he was driving a service truck. He helped me out but accidently put 5 gallons of diesel in the tank instead of gas. I learned that the flash point of diesel is to high for a gas engine. Gasoline combust at a lot lower temp. I cleaned the plugs, drained the gas and and filled it up with some high test. Fo about the first 10-15 minutes it still smoked like hell. I dont think it ran any better after that.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #78
40FordGuy
Old School HAMBer

AvGas 115/145 is the best ! Some friends and I used quite a bit of it, when we had to stretch things until payday. The insides of the tailpipes were a chalky greyish-white, when we used it.
Jet A, I would avoid,...it's basically kerosene-like, and contains naptha, which make it easier to "light off" during jet engine starts. It's what gives it that pungent smell.
4TTRUK
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #79
"T'RANTULA"

I mix my gas 50/50 with sugar, polishes them cylinder walls right up.
But really why put somethin into a motor that you think might clean it and in reality it destroys the motor. If it really does work and "Cleans" the motor weres the sludge gonna go? It surely isnt all gonna drain outta the oil pan. When ya start it the oil pump is gonna suck that crud up and then the screen will get clogged and then no oil pressure..
Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #80
Straightpipes

Two year old thread........and it just goes along like it never left !!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #81
hemi rodder

my experience with deisel in gas engine was at our garage a guy put deisel in a gas 427 chevy dump truck, made it about 3 miles and took them 2 days of trying to get it going, then brought it to us to figure out probleme, by that time the damage had been done, i guess the mixture was just right to get it running(bad), we open the engine to find that the pistons had scuffed the cylinders realy bad, motor had almost no mileage but was done. no damage to heads, crank ect, just the pistons and cylinders.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #82
4dFord/SC

I remember an incident in Vietnam when a piston-engined O-1 landed at the helicopter base near us and was inadvertently refueled with JP-4. Don't recall the outcome, but I know the Birddog jockey was not too happy about it.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #83
carlisle1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofin View Post
Diesel, kerosene, avgas and alcohol are all need high compression to run, I think I read somewhere these multifuel engines have a compression reduction system like on a motorcycle with a kick start to run on gas. Thats why you start and warm up with gas and then move to the (then) cheap stuff.
I think the key to running a gasoline engine on straight kerosene or diesel is the low compression and the engine has to be warmed up first. Most ALL antique tractors were designed to start on gasoline and then be switched over to diesel or kerosene. A model T Ford will run and drive on kerosene too-- as long as the engine is warmed up first. Most of the engines are 5 to 1 compression ratios or lower. If you atomize just about anything it will burn. Steam locomotives switched to oil burners from coal and wood. I've personally lit off steam locomotives using waste motor oil and compressed air to atomize the oil. Once it builds a head of steam, the steam is used to atomize the oil and the fire gets hotter than the flames of hell and damnation in the firebox. Good times with junk oil.

They sell an engine cleaner call MotoFlush at all auto parts stores. I think it is primarily diesel by the stink of it. You poor a bottle into the crankcase and run the engine at IDLE for about 5 minutes. If you rev the engine it warns of scarred bearings on the can. When you pull the drain tons of yuck runs out of the pan. I would suggest pulling the oil pan off to remove any possible chunks that might plug the oil screen.

I recently had a straight 8 Buick engine that was smoking big time and had weak oil pressure. I dumped a can of Seafoam in the oil and a bit in the gas. After about 10 minutes of running at an idle, the engine didn't smoke a bit, ran a LOT better and the oil pressure went up a few pounds. I took off the pan and cleaned out the pan and oil screen. The engine had been really sludgy around the rocker arms and the Seafoam cleaned the entire engine.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #84
chinarus

I was trying to avoid pulling the oil pan on a high mileage Ranger 4 cyl several years ago due to lack of tools and time.
I was advised to run kerosene or mineral spirits in the engine with the oil at maybe 50/50 or 25/75 to "clean it out" by a mechanic friend due to oil pressure problems.

Good part - I didn't have the pull the oil pan and replace the oil pump.
Bad part - I just sold the truck as/is with a broken crankshaft or camshaft after it broke while idling. (Sounded like a thrashing maching.)
Old 08-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #85
48FordFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod-Linkin View Post
you will wash down the cylinder walls and bearing surfaces and ruin a good engine. the gas rings will not stop the diesel from getting into the engine.
That's a bunch of bologna. Diesel has a much higher viscosity than gasoline . Rings that will prevent gas from passing will absolutely stop diesel.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #86
Asphalt Angel

I had a Customer many years ago with a big Chrysler running a 383 or 440. He always had me dump a quart of ATF in his fuel tank when he filled up with 260 Sunoco. He said it kept the"insides clean" . That old Chrysler had over 200,000 miles on it and ran like a champ.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #87
hotrodtom
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Angel View Post
I had a Customer many years ago with a big Chrysler running a 383 or 440. He always had me dump a quart of ATF in his fuel tank when he filled up with 260 Sunoco. He said it kept the"insides clean" . That old Chrysler had over 200,000 miles on it and ran like a champ.
Had a good friend, former B-17 pilot by the way, did the same thing. His Oldsmobile sure ran great.
Fearless
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #88
WOODEYE
Grenade Inspector

Back in the late 60ty's I worked at a Buick Dealership. They would take cars in on trade and some would have issues like a sticking valve or lifter noise, ect. The used car mechanic would take the car out to the back lot and rev it up pretty hard while pouring ATF down the carb and eventually stalling the engine out. Then he would let it set for several days before starting it again. Sometimes they had sucess and sometimes no change. Keep in mind this was generally a last ditch try on a marginal car just to get it to run well enough to get it sold off and down the road. I don't recall any of the cars ever being worse after trying this. Boy they did smoke like you can't believe once they got them started up. Quiet often the cars required a jump because everything was soaked with the ATF. and took a lot of cranking over before getting them to fire up.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #89
klitosp
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40FordGuy View Post
AvGas 115/145 is the best ! Some friends and I used quite a bit of it, when we had to stretch things until payday. The insides of the tailpipes were a chalky greyish-white, when we used it.
Jet A, I would avoid,...it's basically kerosene-like, and contains naptha, which make it easier to "light off" during jet engine starts. It's what gives it that pungent smell.
4TTRUK
I think that AvGas 115/145 contains LEAD and it will destroy your catalytic converter !!! Please, check it...
Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #90
RagtopRides
BANNED

Without reading all 5 pages (forgive me if this has been mentioned already), I have often put 1 QT of diesel into the oil of a warmed up engine and let it IDLE for about 3-5 mins, then change the oil/filter. This does loosen and clean out a lot of the sludge. Key is in a warm engine and only idle for a couple mins. The dirty oil is really black and quite a bit of sludge falls out. After teardown to rebuild (and beef up) of a 175k mile engine, spotless inside.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #91
Ned Ludd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitosp View Post
I think that AvGas 115/145 contains LEAD and it will destroy your catalytic converter !!! Please, check it...
Presumably 40FordGuy was running AvGas through a '40 Ford or something similar that has no catalytic converter.

Not that anything ought to have a catalytic converter. Having said that, tetra-ethyl lead isn't nice stuff to be around.

'58 Morris Minor
'31 A project

my blog: Artisanal Cars
Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #92
bobss396
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutajunka View Post
A guy I knew one time went to replace the valve cover gasket on a slant six. It was so full of crude you could barely make out the rockers and such. He asked me what to do and I told him, just put the new gasket on and forget it. He didn't and scraped all that crude loose and poured cleaner in the crankcase and the next day his oil pressure went to 0. Tore the engine down and every bearing was destroyed from all the crude he lossened up.
I did that ONCE on a '68 vintage 225.. scraped all the shit around the valves and some went into the pan. Got lucky and caught the oil light on, dropped the pan, cleaned it out, replaced the oil pump, ran 2 oil changes through it back to back and it was fine.

Bob
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #93
jimbousman

Yes, you can add things to your fuel and oil to loosen up the crud, sludge, carbon, general gook but... be wary of were all that stuff goes once it is loose. It doesn't all just magically blow out the end of the exhaust pipe or drop to the bottom of the oil pan. Some of it gets stuck in bad places, or plug up things that shouldn't be plugged. What ever you do, do it s little bit at a time over a period of time and don't expect miracles. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #94
Devin

Probably not for real "old timely" engines or engines in dubious condition, but the old "Italian tune up" method seems to work well. Basically, you find a long steady uphill grade and drive up it in a low gear revving the piss out of it for a period of time. This method burns off carbon and blows it out the pipes.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #95
302aod
Grenade Inspector

I used to work at a Ford dealership and when a car would come in with an Intermittent knock, I would use water or atf, slowly down the carb. Both worked good, putting atf would just cause smoke. The water or atf would clean the carbon off the valves, that would come loose and cause a knock when on top of the piston, hitting the head, causing a knock.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #96
1971BB427
Old School HAMBer

I know an oldtimer (older than me!) who said during WWII when gas was rationed he had a separate tank he put in his car to hold diesel. He would get the car started and warmed up on gas, then turn a switch to the diesel tank and drive with it.
I asked if it hurt the engine, and he said he drove it that way throughout WWII, and after the War he went back to straight gas with no problems.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #97
Bearing Burner

Kerosene that they ran in gas engines was #1 range oil much different than todays kerosene or diesel fuel. Also they used copper tubing for fuel line after the fuel pump and ran it around the exhaust manifold a couple of times to warm the kerosene. Started on gas then switched to kerosene..
Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #98
#1 Kawboy
Grenade Inspector

COMPLETELY OT 2001 Sebring V6 with 110,000 miles. I ran out of gas 1 mile from home, call Dad he brings 5 gallons of "FUEL." Car will barely run,stalls. "Hey Dad, was that gas ?"
"Yup."
"Ya sure ?"
"Ummm...yeaaahhhh...AHHh CRAP ! That was diesel !"
Went and got 5 gallons of FUEL, added, cranked went to gas staion, filled up, went just fine. Car has 228,000 miles and purrrs.
??????
Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #99
40FordGuy
Old School HAMBer

klitosp....It sure does,...115/145 has LOTS of lead,... But when we used the stuff, cat converters weren't even a gleam in some enviro-nuts eye.....Much less existing on our cars.... I'd like to know how it would run in a modern engine, sans converter....

4TTRUK
Old 08-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #100
lostforawhile
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
Probably not for real "old timely" engines or engines in dubious condition, but the old "Italian tune up" method seems to work well. Basically, you find a long steady uphill grade and drive up it in a low gear revving the piss out of it for a period of time. This method burns off carbon and blows it out the pipes.
try to hunt down the old Bill Cosby gem 200 MPH where he talks about doing this in his Ferrari thats the same bit with the 427 Cobra he got from Carol Shelby funnny funny stuff, I had to burn the gunk outa the pipes!!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #101
lostforawhile
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
here's the bill cosby bit where he talks about that, makes fun of VWs too, "just put it in second gear and drive 100 MPH"

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/TgfohqL_/...y_200_mph.html