Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Banger is dead - long live the Banger. 2010's first banger thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Seeing as though Australia gets the new day 2nd after New Zealand - I thought I'd start off the first banger thread for the new decade :D:D

Not too much news from me on the banger scene.

2009 found me visiting the US, and seeing some really cool Banger stuff including whats in the Showroom of Antique Auto in Rosemead, Meeting Dan (Crazydaddyo), seeing some hot bangers at El mirage and World of Speed, then coming home and scoring 2 A motors, a B cam, and a lightened flywheel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Happy new years guys! Wanted to take the coupe out, but too mush snow :D

The past year was great, I got the B engine in my coupe and running, and also bought a 29 roadster body and "threw" it together with some other junk to make what my idea of a banger powered mid 30's soupe job looked like. Lets see what 2010 brings :D:D:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

barrnone50 likes this.
  3. celticskull

celticskull

happy new year guys
    gota love them pics
    can anyone tell me where you can get a finned timing cover like the one on stovebolts last pic
    cheers

4. Wildfire

Wildfire

How do we feel about dual 81's versus a single 97 on a banger?

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'd like to hear responses to this, as well. I'm almost ready to get the ball rolling on my build. Don't need too much for the banger but I am researching and shopping for an intake/carb set-up.

Looking for a B motor exhaust manifold too if any of you know where I can find a decent one, too.

6. TV

TV

Ya, H@H has some at their shop.--TV

7. RussTee

RussTee

celticskull hi from N.Z. Sacramento Vintage Ford have those timing covers and a real good website and newsletter well worth a look. Its hellishing hot here in N.Z. starting to fit the shiney front end and diff with quickchange and overdrive to Deco Doll my 27 rp on a chassis b motor hoping to have her ready for the banger meet at muscle car madness interest is slowly growing in N.Z.s first banger display

8. celticskull

celticskull

thanks tv and russtee ill check em out
    i got my banger fired up for the first time the other day then pulled the head off it to change the head gasket and found out it had new pistons and valves in it
    i wasent told it was a fresh motor when i got the car
    but there is a lot of mess in the water jacket (nothing that cant be cleaned up)

9. dads31cp

dads31cp
    Member Emeritus

you've got my blood pumping.I'm ready to send our B mtr. to H&H to set up for the 4 port Riley. We have 2 inch Riley carbs. Any input on if this combo could be streetable at all? We have a manifold for two Winfields with no carbs and no manifold for the side draft Riley carbs.So we could go either way I guess. Light flywheel,v-8 clutch,Brierly cam(4 port Riley grind).

10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

37 Willys with a Hickey head and Latham SC in a 31 roadster. Originally put together in 1946.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  11. I run two 81's with .042 jets and it runs great!

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Any difference being on a B motor vs A? Is that a dumb question?

13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Shouldn't be much difference b/w the 2, but "B's" made more power than an "A" due to better cam profile.

14. Mr.Dean

Mr.Dean

Happy new years guys!!!!!!!!!!lets get to bangin!!!!!

Attached Files:

15. Happy New year all

My new years resolution was to get my 27 T Roadster on the road this year, so I figured today was a good day to start.

I started mocking up the chassis, banger and T-5, steering etc etc .....to get an idea where everything fits (or not).

Pretty basic. A chassis, A Banger, MAC's adapter, T-5, Halibrand 101, 2 1/2" dropped A axle, 48 Brakes. Worlds rustiest 27 T Roadster body.

I need a couple of measurements to get me started on squeezing all the bits in.....and given the subject matter figured I was more likely to get a coherent answer here than in the main forum.

The main thing I am trying to sort out is where to position the steering box, as my A chassis has none of the original holes, and the wescott diagrams don't include the holes in the side rails.

I am running an F-1 box, and being RHD I seem to have a bucket load of room as I don't have a starter to avoid ....unless I'm missing something here.

I gather the general idea is to fit the F-1 box approximately where the A box was, whittle the flange until it fits inside the rails, and then fit a wedge behind the box to straighten out the angles.

SO, two measurements would REALLY help me:

Distance from the axle centreline to the centre of the hole the sector shaft sticks out (measurement from a LHD one is fine)

Distance from the axle centreline to the engine mounts ...... top front hole of the four will do

The MAC's bell includes the mount for the unsplit bone, hence my desire to get the engine in the right spot in relation to the front crossmember.

16. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I picked up this A motor that was rebuilt years ago and was going to run it in this project that has sitting for a couple of years. The guy built it for a Pietenpol and when he sold it, the buyer didn't want the motor; so it sat under his bench for years, but is all new.

The motor isn't doesn't have a counter weighted crank, but I would like to do this modification. I've thought about Dan Price's counter weights, is this the best way to go? It shouldn't affect what has already been done to the motor should it? The babbit is all new and still has the dippers.

What do you guys have for a recommendation?

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I think we need more pics. :Dvery cool
    later Bill

18. No, thats not dumb at all. Stock the B had higher compression and a different cam profile then an A, so yes they will act to carbs differently. Mine has a Winfiels 6.0:1 head and a Winfiels SU-1R cam. Valves and pistons are stock, has a lightened flywheel and counterbalanced crank if that makes a difference on carbs, and a header. I started with two stock 81's, but the #35 jets made it run WAY too lean. So I stabbed in some #45's (stock 97 jet) and it made it too rich. I ordered some 42's (If I remember right...may be 41's) and it likes them alot.
    Hope this helps.

19. I have a 4 port manifold for large side drafts but I don't think it is for the 2". The original Riley sidedrafts didn't have an idle circuit. Bob McKinney, (not sure of the spelling), "REM" was working on Riley carbs with an idle circuit but had problems. I think the problem was with the floats. He has passed away don't know who ended up with his stuff. I have 3 intake manifolds for the Riley 4 port. the large side draft, a dual stromberg, and a manifold for a large single Winfield down draft "CC" . What is the bolt pattern on your Winfield manifold?

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Hey guys, Happy new year.

I've been out of town visiting family so my sence of time has been blurred. The mass quantities of beer I consumed last night probably isn't helping me remember today is a new month. So I went to the Dec. meet and saw the post below from Jim Galli. I replyed on that thread, but I would like to bring the discusion back up over here this month.

Does anyone else have more info on this head?

I think that the markings on the head look like some of the foundry info that were on the latter heads, But were these just factory replacement heads? Did the heads that came on the engines used for industrial purposses have these same markings?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by jim galli [​IMG]
    Curious about a cylinder head that I got with a load of junk yesterday. I've never seen one quite like it. Similar to the B head with C cast in the top? It's a 4 bolt Model A type water pump inlet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Were these part of the Ford post Model A & B production parts availability like the diamond blocks? What was the ratio on these. Thanks!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I have not seen a head with a combustion chamber shape like that. The "heart" is much pointier then I have seen. The casting on the outside looks like the later replacment heads. It is not a B head as there is not the 3 bolt water pump or the 2 steam vents on either side of the center head bolt by the Dist. hole.

Is there a diamond cast into the head under the water pump boss?

If so, then it is a post production replacment head.

This could be a head from an engine that was made for a non Ford imptement.

21. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Happy New Year guys. Thanks for all of the great info. in '09. Enjoyed driving my Touring this summer, bangers are a blast when they are running good.

22. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

great thread-bangers rule.

23. rtc1930

rtc1930

I'm currently running a similar head on my A until I order a police head from snyders to replace it. The only difference is mine has a F1 MF cast into it instead of F2 and I don't remember the chambers being heart shaped which is why I want to swap it. Not sure of comp ratio and cant really make a comparison between the original head without the body on the car. The casting doesnt look as "clean" to me as the original. I pulled the head off a spare motor I had that I was told came out of an A since my original head had a crack. I did a thorough search on ford barn and even emailed the posters on the two posts I found and neither got anywhere with their search. They were told it may have been off of a tractor since the MF looks alot like the Massy Ferguson MF symbol. I have a Ford 8N tractor (with Massy Ferguson PTO) and a later model Massy Ferguson but neither have a head that shows a resemblance. Perhaps an earlier Massey (after they split from Ford) used a similar A motor. I'll have to take a look at the tractor and see if any of the other castings have a MF symbol on them. I believe its more likely an aftermarket OEM replacement of some sort but thats just speculation.

24. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Do you have a cast date on that head?
    Bill

25. rtc1930

rtc1930

This is the only pic I have that shows the head, hopefully you can make out the marks. It doesn't have a casting date that I found but does have a small tag attached that says 1-0 I think. I'll double check next time I work on it (not at my house). Also I went out and checked the Massey I have and I didn't see any similar MF casting marks. I did see one that had a number followed by M F but there was space between the letters not combined like these. It was too cold outside to look any longer.

[​IMG]

26. donrodin

donrodin

so would you say 2 carbs are better than one? i too am trying to decide on weather or not to go with 1 or 2, but i cant seem to find a good, nice looking single intake manifold.

27. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

To all you four bangers "A HAPPY NEW YEAR" and lots of banger fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

Cheers,
    Eddy
    kerstmis2.jpg

28. I think it just boils down to what you wanna set up on your car...2 deffenetly looks cool :D CrazyDaddyo had 3 on his T for a while...

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here are the banger info links just incase some of you haven't seen them.

For the HAMB banger newbies, here are some links to a lot of banger info:

Flat Ernie maintains the monthly link list. Every month is listed:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=161498

Banger basics. another info link list:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=251717

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=42480

Maybe these links should be posted early in each months meeting.

If anyone knows of more, please post them.

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

maybe a "police head" . 5.5/1 ............. steve