Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: The Golden Nugget

I love the car, louvers and all. Everything works. It's not whether Vaughn's is better than this example, more like they both hit the mark. Chocolate, Vanilla.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
BigO

I would love to redo my Vic closer to that.?.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
safariknut
Old School HAMBer

Beautiful cars both! The second car was featured on the cover of either Rod& Custom or Car Craft in 56 or 57 and is the most beautiful shade of purple I've ever seen.And for what it's worth I like the louvers on the hood.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #24
SinisterCustom
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
You guys are probably tired of hearing about how much I prefer simple customs over extravagant works

Yes.............and no........

Nice car, but the louvers remind me of similar cars at local cruise-in's, usually with some name blazed on the decklid, like "Teen Angel" or some crap...haha!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #25
RPW

I had that issue of Rodding and Restyling as a source for inspiration when I collected parts for the Ford -54 that I had between 1989-2006. I guess many of the "real oldtimers" here remembers it as I made a lot of "in the works" posts about it in the very early days of Hamb...
The idea using Packard side trim and the Mercury side spears for the -54 came from the "Golden Nugget"... Ron Hensley here at Hamb helped me to find Packard trim (he did also like the idea and had the same idea for his 53 Ford). Almost all parts were found with help from HAMB. The grille I had in mind were closer to the one on Jimmie Vaughn's car. Rik Hoving did help me to vizualize the ideas and gave good input with some of his own ideas. The intended color scheme for the 54 was a green metallic to the lower part of the body, a color very close to the one that later was used for the "Rad Rides by Troy" built Ridler award winning -36 cpe. For the top I had a ligther hue, with a bit more gold in, of the same color in mind. For wheel covers I was going to use -53 Cad. I was even going to get a ht roof skin to get a better line for the rear of the roof...
Due to a sudden drop of interest in my project, and almost everything else, I sold it just as the sectioning body work had started (my interest did return slowly after a few months, I worked way to much those days, got "burned out"..). The new owner/builder that finished it, my friend Tore Persson, did a good job. He did of course not stick 100% to my plan, it was his car now, but at least some of the ideas was kept. One of them being the use of Packard and Merc trim that I supplied with the car. The grille idea of the finished car, the choice of color and wheels are of Tore's own design and ideas. I agree with my full heart of what Rik says that louvers will not be an improvement for a custom like that. I say that since I heard ideas from its new owner (after Tore sold it) of putting a louvered hood on the old -54...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54FordFinal02-vi.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	854976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1734-vi.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	854983  

Last edited by RPW; 12-28-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: poor spelling, as alwys...
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
Retroline

Yeah, the louvers stood out for me. Otherwise a nice example.RPW, its a shame you didn't get to finish yours, it still looks clean for now.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #27
von Dyck

The one piece rear window is much cleaner looking than the three piece. Also, connie-kits don't belong on any car - way too tacky. Appletons from my perspective always look like "add-ons" from Almquist or J.C.Whitney. Why are they even there? The '52 to '54 Fords/Meteors are handsome automobiles to begin with - remove some of the make-up (not add more) to make them look even better. Sit them level (with or without skirts). Tail dragging them disrupts the natural visual flow of their horizontal lines. Coupes and Tudors could use a 2" roof chop for nicer proportions. Just my 1.88 cents worth. And have a Happy New Year.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #28
racerjohnson
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

You guys are probably tired of hearing about how much I prefer simple customs over extravagant works,

This guy doesn't. Understating is understated.
Suede #14
Old 12-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #29
Screenz
Grenade Inspector

Sweet! I love these cars!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #30
kkoacolonel

In the words of Harry Bradley"Simple is better".You are able to see how everything flows.Does anyone know about the "Golden Nugget".Where in NJ was the car from?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #31
daddy_o's_diner
Alliance Member

The Golden Nugget is one SWEET ride.

I love the fact that the mild customs that stand the test of time are often the the most understated. Why is so hard to keep it simple???

I have just recently developed a love for mild customs and am in the process of building a '54 Victoria. To say that I have been inspired by the Vaughan car is an understatement. I could stare at it for hours! Anyone have any more pics of Jimmies car, underhood, interior, etc...

I can only hope that mine comes off half as nice. Aiming to have it ready for Billetproof Detroit. I better get busy!

Bonneville inspired '32 ford 5-Window

Build thread
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=727871
online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #32
belair
Old School HAMBer

Saw Jimmie Vaugn's car in Kerrville last summer. What a perfect example of restraint. Shows that less is more. Mild beats wild for a custom!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #33
Rich Venza
Old School HAMBer

Walt and his partner Buddy rented the basement of the Packard/Studebaker dealership on Valley Street in South Orange. Pretty small by todays standards, 4 cars max, no paint booth, etc. He fixed and repainted my '59 Chevy when I wrecked it, and added the Ramcharger paint to my '64 Dodge.
Both he and I lived in Maplewood.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #34
SapienKustom

Those look really good. I'm trying to go with nice simple touches on my 55 Dodge also.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #35
Strange Agent
Old School HAMBer

I like it. Makes me want to go buy one!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #36
76ironhead

Sometimes less is better that car is a good exampel of that.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #37
holeshot
BANNED

RYAN...actually i agree 100%. these types of mild customs still look like cars, and who could argue with that. O.K. maby mr. barris, but us poor folks can afford the milder ones. and i believe the SUN LINER was introduced in 54...POP.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #38
Jack Thomas

Those 52-54 Fords and Mercs where very common when I was in high school during 1960-64. Thy were affordable, plentiful used cars then and unlike Chevys of the era had V-8's. Since we didn't have much money, most were mild cutoms.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #39
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

Personally, not feeling that one. I like even less than that. Start with losing the spot light and cont. kit for sure as well as the louvers and rear 1/4 panel junk might clean it up a bit.

Never understood the whole spot light thing. Why was that so popular? People out poaching a lot of deer or something? I can't imagine much need for a spot light on a custom car. But, I guess that is why I am more into hot rods than customs.

Last edited by stude_trucks; 12-30-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 AM   #40
Custom_Crestline

The spotlights were thanks to the lack of streetlights.

Anyway, '52-54 fords are some of my favorite cars. I dunno, there is just something about them. The Pete Angress Ford is amazing. It not only shows the styling trend shifts, but it also always looked great.