Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
wtfbill
FNG

Default How much does a small block chevy weigh ?

I am building a 47 studebaker truck on a s-10 frame. I am worried about the front springs. Whats the weight difference between v-8 and v-6 .
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
NHBandit

Default Re: How much does a small block chevy weigh ?

I'm betting the difference between a 4.3 V6 and a smallblock is maybe 50-75lbs since they are basically the same plus or minus 2 cylinders. That being said you won't have any idea at all what springs to use until you have the whole weight of the body on the frame inlcuding engine, trans, interior, etc. The difference in engine weight is minor compared to the weight difference between an S-10 and a 47 Stude truck. If it was me I'd get the whole thing built using the stock S-10 springs you have and see how it sits. If it's not to your liking get friendly with the guys at Afco. http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...T&Store_Code=A

Last edited by NHBandit; 12-27-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
46stude
Alliance Member

S10 V8 swaps are common- there's no need to worry.

But 575 pounds is the average for the SBC:
http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html

(The 4.3 comes in @ 425 for comparison)

"Hello, my name is Jeff & I suffer from AADD (automotive attention defecit disorder)."
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
wtfbill
FNG

See, I am thinking that the 47 doghouse ,etc. will compensate for the difference in motor weight . I would just like to get the actual lb.s of each motor. I cant find the answer!!!!!!!!!! Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
46stude
Alliance Member

Which do you think is heavier? The S10 body or the Stude's?

"Hello, my name is Jeff & I suffer from AADD (automotive attention defecit disorder)."
Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
wtfbill
FNG

By far the S-10.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
swimeasy

I read somewhere here on the HAMB that they weigh 475 and 525lbs respectivly, but that might be for block and heads only.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
scottybaccus
Old School HAMBer

The S10 swaps have been done for years with fully dressed small blocks weighing in at closer to 685 lbs. You have plenty of room for a bare bone engine and your body. If backed into a corner, the 4x4 S10, Astro van, or late '80s GM mid-size springs will solve the problem.

Tejas Malcontents, Hutto

Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
edweird
Old School HAMBer

I put this 52 dodge on an s-10 chassis.it has a big block and i used a new set of 4 cyl.s-10 springs in front. It rode and drove very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8817_12.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	854016   Click image for larger version

Name:	All pictures 017.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	854017  
Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
chevyshack

A complete 350 weighs maybe 500. As long as the s-10 didnt come with a 4 banger. The v-6 springs will work fine. If your that worried about it buy a new set for a 4.3 v6 s-10 with 4 wheel drive. Probably more then you need though. My dads s-10 blazer was 4x4 and road very rough. New springs shouldnt be over 60 bucks.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
46stude
Alliance Member

Yep, the Stude body is alot lighter. According to the chart I posted the link to (post #3 up above), the diff is about 150 pounds. Add headers & an aluminum intake to the SBC, you drop quite a bit of weight. Aluminum heads will lighten it up even more.

Couple that w/ the lighter body & I don't see any problems. Heck, the Chevy LUV guys swap to SBCs from a little 4 banger w/o spring changes.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
NHBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
The S10 swaps have been done for years with fully dressed small blocks weighing in at closer to 685 lbs. You have plenty of room for a bare bone engine and your body. If backed into a corner, the 4x4 S10, Astro van, or late '80s GM mid-size springs will solve the problem.
4x4 S-10s use torsion bars. Using a 4x4 frame would give you the ability to adjust the front end up or down because of this but I don't know if the 4x4 spindles can be replaced with 2 wheel drive stuff. The track width is also wider on a 4x4 S-10. Look at the difference on the offset of the wheels sometime and you'll see what I mean. 4x4 rear axle is also wider. The other spring choices you list would possibly help but it's still a guessing game. One phone call to someone like Afco telling them the weight of the vehicle, what springs are in it now & how much higher or lower you'd like to get it and 65 bucks later you have a brand new set of springs with a lifetime guarantee that they will replace them if they ever sag more than 5%. That's just what I'd do. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by NHBandit; 12-27-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
chevyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimeasy View Post
I read somewhere here on the HAMB that they weigh 475 and 525lbs respectivly, but that might be for block and heads only.
Block by itself is only about 200. I lift my block with crank and pistons still in it up off the ground and into the engine stand with one other person. Once was with my wife helping.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Hackerbilt
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBandit View Post
4x4 S-10s use torsion bars. The other choices would possibly help but it's still a guessing game. One phone call to someone like Afco telling them the weight of the vehicle, what springs are in it now & how much higher or lower you'd like to get it and 65 bucks later you have a brand new set of springs with a lifetime guarantee that they will replace them if they ever sag more than 5%. That's just what I'd do. Your mileage may vary...
Yeah...none of the smaller GM 4x4's of that era use coils...off the lower A frame, they would be in the way of the front CV shafts.

I wouldn't be concerned with the coils at all yet.
Will you be moving the engine back? That and a lighter cab might mean your present coils are already too stiff even with the V8.

I'd bet there's a number of varied spring rates available just for the basic S10. 4 cyl, V6, Extended cab, V6+air, 2x4 4door Blazer, 2x4 4dr Blazer + air......
Those things have been around forever in every body style/powertrain imaginable...and all were different weights.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
c-10 simplex

i'm thinking a complete running sbc is around 575 if all iron.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
OldSub
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-10 simplex View Post
i'm thinking a complete running sbc is around 575 if all iron.
You kind of hit the problem I'm having with the original question.

Small block Chevy can mean so many different things, and since they are often dressed different, and are not always all iron, don't we really need to know more about the motor to answer this question?

Either the plus or minus implied by an average means the difference in front clips doesn't matter either, or the precision needed to give a useful response is going to require more information and someone who has weighed that particular collection of pieces.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
Thorkle Rod

http://fixrambler.com/engineweightchart.txt
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

I would think the Stude body heavier than the S10, if nothing else it's thicker gauge steel.

As for the motor, figure around 600 lbs. If you're off by 50 lbs one way or the other it's not going to make a big difference. Guys put V8s into S10s quite often and I've never heard of anyone having a problem breaking them.

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

i use 575#

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #20
46stude
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynewyorker View Post
I would think the Stude body heavier than the S10, if nothing else it's thicker gauge steel.
A complete M5 from '41-'48 comes in right under 3K pounds. They are pretty light for an old truck. Figure in all the modern stuff found in an S10 (AC, heat, electronics, power windows & door locks, wiring harnesses, etc) & I doubt the Stude cab would come close.