Register now to get rid of these ads!

who forms lexan windsheilds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rexrogers, Dec 22, 2009.

1. rexrogers

rexrogers

We need a lexan windshield made for a 60's sports car the wrap around windsheild needs to be heat formed and I have been trying to locate some one that will make a small run or just on windsheild any help would be apreciated.

Rex

2. rexrogers

rexrogers

3. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

You could try to do it yourself...

Attached Files:

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

you can do taillights that way too

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Not sure about the Lexan but that car is "bad to the bone" !

RetroJim

6. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Pro Glass - http://www.proglasswindows.com/

They can do it in Lexan with the scratch resistant coating,(like Tuffak) which is VERY difficult to bend without cracking/crazing the coating. You make up a form and send it to them and they will bend your windshield over it.

7. I second yoyodyne's recommendation of Pro Glass. Bob Mayerle is the owner and does lots of custom plexi and Lexan work for pro drag teams, NASCAR and one offs for guys like us. I made a mold and he did the Lexan for the 54 Victress below.
    Pro Glass
    Bob Mayerle
    9318 Corneils Road
    Bristol, IL 60512
    630 553 3141

Attached Files:

8. rexrogers

rexrogers

Thanks for the info i think i called from coast to coast today looking for some one and not too many leads. I have done some of this in hous for the TImbs' special but the windsheild was half the size and no were close to this much shape. I will give pro glass a call in the am I can't thank you enough for the lead.

The car was built by Bob Sorrell I know the car is a little out of the Hamb's style cars but Bob Sorrell had a huge inpact in all the aspects of the automative field.

9. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Rex, does it have to be lexan ?
    There is an outfit down in San luis obispo that will make you a safety glass (legal) windshield..
    Last time I checked on a one off it was about $700....
    Dave

10. rexrogers

rexrogers

700 sound pretty good for a one off windsheild definatly a contact worth keeping even if we do end up using lexan. found some boat places today that would make it out of acrylic but that stuff can be very fragile.

11. chitle

chitle
    from ventura CA

Dave, I would like to talk to the biz in San Louis Obisbo Also. PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!! I need rear glass for my 53 olds now that it is chopped.

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

do you know the name of the place?,,,that sounds very reasonable for a one off windshield..i've heard prices of a few thousand

13. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I've actually used the Pro Glass stuff wayyyyyyyy back when he first started out in my O/T pro street 68 camaro. Great stuff - first class.

Paco

14. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

There was a company PRO-GLASS that was their specialty. They did an article years ago going into some, not all detail on doing their work. Wheather or not they are making a mountain out of a mole hill, I don't know. I believe, unless you can do it, give your work to a pro. It was a while ago, not sure if still around, but worth a look.....good luck

15. rexrogers ... Sorrell's car is way cool ... and IMHO, it's not O/T for the HAMB at all ... then again, I might be just saying that because of its powerplant! :)

Big Block Bill ... guess you didn't read the posts by yoyodyne, Hemi325, or paco? :rolleyes:

16. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

Sorry....no I didn't, I read a question and answered as best I could...... does that make me guilty of something

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Watching this thread, need a back window made for the Studey..........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

2nd, 3rd, 4rth on ProGlass, only guy I do biz with, and I'm a picky mofo!!!1

19. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

20. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Pro Glass Bob is the guy...!

21. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

early 60s barracuda? or stingray vette?

22. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

I visited a shop a few years ago south of Indianapolis In that did
    this for mostly race cars. If not too far distance wise I could try to find out
    if still there. Bob

23. chitle

chitle
    from ventura CA

Just found Jefferis Hot Rod Glass in san louis obisbo on google. phone # is (805) 543 -4757

24. narducci

narducci

Polycarbonate is Lexan
    Lexan is the trade name for the material 'polycarbonate'

25. rexrogers

rexrogers

We ended up sending the windshield off to the
    Aircraft windshield Company, in Los Alamitos Ca

All in all it went good should have spent some time talking with they guys that actually do the work would have mad it a little easier. Simply made them a sheet metal form and braced the daylight out of it and the sent me back one windshield we ended up using acrylic it was what the manufacture suggested we use for optical clarity. The windshield is mounted and needs the finger prints wiped off yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

So Rex, what did that one-off windshield cost? As mentioned in several above posts They were all talking about a tough coated Lexan. You went with an acrylic product instead, that was due to optical clearity, how is the duribility of the acrylic that you used? Is it UV stable? Was there a cost difference between the two?

I'm sure there are several other guys on here that also need windshields made, that have the same questions.

Thanks,
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

27. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

The car was built by Bob Sorrell I know the car is a little out of the Hamb's style cars but Bob Sorrell had a huge inpact in all the aspects of the automative field.[/QUOTE]

I would like to here some positive things about Bob...
    because when I bought his things out of his trailer
    after he died and would inquirer about him
    all I heard was how he screwed people
    and about all the customer cars that went missing
    even my landlord (Duncan Emmons) said he was
    kinda crazy had tons of cats running all over his place.

28. rexrogers

rexrogers

The windshield was around 300 for the part we had it made out of 1/4" their is no frame to support the upper half so we went with a little thicker material which added to the cost. The acrylic looks great but strains the nerves having to drill it. Next time i would feel a little better if we went with lexan that stuff you can work with.
    We didn't price out the two as far as cost just took their recommendation for the end use of the car and it is UV stable that was one reason for choosing this material.
    this project is kinda getting me in th mode to play around with some plastic maybe a bubble top on my 32 sedan LOL

29. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Thanks Rex! 'Pricing' for something I have never had done, gives me insight to what some people think is expensive. From my point of view, doing that myself would end up being more money, because of the time/learning curve to start from scratch and bend my own.
    Thanks again for the 'view'

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

30. BJR

BJR

How about using one from a Boattailed Riv 1973?